Heavy traffic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a large enclosure out of light frame work and chicken wire about 10X10 foot in front of each chicken coup. Ended up placing chicken wire along the outside of each coup. It was the only way to keep the raccoons and coyotes out at night.

I built a large enclosure out of light frame work and chicken wire about 10X10 foot in front of each chicken coup. Ended up placing chicken wire along the outside of each coup. It was the only way to keep the raccoons and coyotes out at night.
Our coop is a 8x10 shed with a single man door. We open and close it each morning/evening. The raccoon figured out how to lift the unlocked and slightly cracked window. Smart critter but he forgot to plan an exit and met his demise. Locking them in the shed is the only way we found to stop the bears from getting them. We only have black bears here so they don't mess with the hogs or cows but man are they destructive. I had to build a cage for my trashcans.

We burn are trash. Have a 4x4 foot pit about 5ft deep' Dump trash and throw some diesel on it. It is hell on wheels when we forgot about the aerosol can. When it gets full I call my neighbor and he digs me a new one. Racoons are not dumb animals at all. My chicken coups look more like mini prisons.

There must be something going on. Raccoons, possums, cats and the occasional skunk pass through our front porch all the time. Our front porch must be on the path to somewhere these guys like to go. The turkeys are at least polite enough to only pass through during the daytime.

There must be something going on. Raccoons, possums, cats and the occasional skunk pass through our front porch all the time. Our front porch must be on the path to somewhere these guys like to go. The turkeys are at least polite enough to only pass through during the daytime.
Probably have a neighbor nearby that feeds them every night. They are on their way to the buffet.

Here is a twist. Yesterday afternoon wife was getting her lawnmower out of her shed and moved a piece of plywood by the door. A rather large snake was under the plywood and went straight into the stuffed shed. She came and got me and said the snake was hissing at her before it went into the shed. Grabbed a sharp hoe and slowly started to move stuff around. The snake was under the buddy heater and when I moved the heater the snake made a strike at me. It missed but coiled up and opened its mouth hissing. Nice white mouth. Not much left of the snake after I chopped it up into uncountable pieces. Wife made a comment I think it was dead after the sixth chop. Guess I got carried away with the chopping. Was a four foot very healthy Cottonmouth. What it was doing there I have no clue. Guess it was looking for a new home and took a rest under the plywood.

Probably have a neighbor nearby that feeds them every night. They are on their way to the buffet.

Some of the neighbors put out food for the stray (oops, can't call them stray, have to say feral) cats. Stray cat population grows. We live in an urban/wildland intermix area. More cats meant more food for coyotes. Coyotes got comfortable coming into town. People start losing dogs, even big ones (coyotes would group up on them). People still feed the strays. We are very careful of letting our little furry dog out late at night.

Related, I uploaded the pic below my daughter took while walking her dog near her house in Los Angeles. Zoom in and you will see a coyote at the end of the block. Looks like Moe (the bulldog) and the coyote are having a face off. Neighbor drove his car at the coyote to scare it away. It isn't unusual to have them in urban areas, but seeing them in broad daylight is not common.

Moe and Coyote.png

If you have a raccoon problem then you will soon have a bear problem if they also live in your neck of the woods. Remove or secure anything that might attract them. Cute but nasty critters.

When I used to live in the Los Padres nat’l forest I heard something on my 2nd floor deck one night. Went out to check and I was greeted by several racoons with the pack leader bearing teeth and hissing at me. I returned the greeting with my pellet gun and a hiss.

They got shot at every time that I saw them after that occasion and they finally learned to steer clear of my place.

Last edited:
At one time I thought they were neat. After getting chased up onto a hood of car one morning in my underwear while trying to letting the dog out mommy racoon would not back off. This happened back when I was working at 3:00 AM. Yelled and screamed wife got up and took a picture and went right back to bed. Not what I had in mind for her to do. After awhile mommy racoon after growling and showing her teeth final took off. Dog never did make it out Little mutt just sat at the door and watched.

At one time I thought they were neat. After getting chased up onto a hood of car one morning in my underwear while trying to letting the dog out mommy racoon would not back off. This happened back when I was working at 3:00 AM. Yelled and screamed wife got up and took a picture and went right back to bed. Not what I had in mind for her to do. After awhile mommy racoon after growling and showing her teeth final took off. Dog never did make it out Little mutt just sat at the door and watched.
Thanks babe :rolleyes:

We live in a hardwood forest a 1/2 block from the lake. A good dozen ponds, swamps, and creeks within walking distance. Our wildlife cam catches some interesting pics at times. Raccoons all night long. They raid the compost bin and then take off. Possums do the same thing. Been seeing an odd coyote now and then. They never cause us any grief and keep the table scraps out of the landfill. We actually kind of enjoy having the critters around. Except for the chipmunks and ground hogs. They get trapped or shot. Hate to take out the chippers, they're cute little turds, but they wreak havoc in my sheds. The groundhogs like to dig alongside the foundation of the house. Can't have that! Actually I find the deer to be a bigger pain than the coons. They chow down on our tomato plants and yews in front of the house. Ah, the joy of living in the woods. Critters everywhere!

Last edited: