Heavy traffic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We live in a hardwood forest a 1/2 block from the lake. A good dozen ponds, swamps, and creeks within walking distance. Our wildlife cam catches some interesting pics at times. Raccoons all night long. They raid the compost bin and then take off. Possums do the same thing. Been seeing an odd coyote now and then. They never cause us any grief and keep the table scraps out of the landfill. We actually kind of enjoy having the critters around. Except for the chipmunks and ground hogs. They get trapped or shot. Hate to take out the chippers, they're cute little turds, but they reek havoc in my sheds. The groundhogs like to dig alongside the foundation of the house. Can't have that! Actually I find the deer to be a bigger pain than the coons. They chow down on our tomato plants and yews in front of the house. Ah, the joy of living in the woods. Critters everywhere!
Living is when you walk outside and the cat eating the food is not your barn cat but a full size male Bobcat Who has no plans to leave until the food is gone. When I say the Suburbs of Henryetta I mean No neighbors for 5 miles. No pavement either. Live down a dirt road.

Living is when you walk outside and the cat eating the food is not your barn cat but a full size male Bobcat Who has no plans to leave until the food is gone. When I say the Suburbs of Henryetta I mean No neighbors for 5 miles. No pavement either. Live down a dirt road.
We have all sorts of wild animals in the center of nowhere. I use some of my spare time hunting wild hogs. Hogs destroy and eat everything. We don't have raccoons and the like but I hear they are slowly creeping this way. I like bird hunting as well.

Hunting lodges became popular here a few years ago. Some of which imported a breed of wild boar from Africa. Problem is some of these boars escaped and breed with the local wild hogs. Now we have boar the size of small cows. The ranchers in the area will let you hunt them for free. Destructive and dangerous animals. The amount of wildlife here in southeastern Oklahoma is over the top. Deer population is insane. Every year they open up deer season with less restrictions but it seems to be going nowhere on cutting back the population. They have even spotted Black bear along the Canadian Rivers. Migrated from Texas.

When I was young back in the early 70's I used to trap racoons. A good hide with no damage would fetch around $40.00. On average a hide would bring about $20.00. I also sold the meat of the racoon for around $3.00 each. Now for possums, I could give them away, but I had to keep them alive for the takers. I have had them blow up at me but I would blow up right back at them. They would back down real quick.

Not a fan of possums. A little one got into my chipmunk trap a couple years ago. Not having any issues with him, I opened the hatch and set it down on the ground. The little SOB came charging out, rose up on his haunches and HISSED at me! Cage smelled so bad afterwards I had to soak it in hot water and dish soap to get rid of the stench. Nasty little creatures. Lots of sharp little teeth too.

I used to feed the Bobcats mouse sickles. Basically you trap the mice with a traditional five gallon bucket trap. When it there’s a good collection of mice just let it freeze and dump the big frozen thing somewhere near the mouse problem but, not so close that you smell it or the girls get freaked out about it. It’s better than poisoning the food chain with mouse bait.

Bobcats are excellent mousers and they steer clear of humans for the most part. One used to set on my rock wall waiting for rodents. I welcomed it and never had an issue with it.

Not a fan of possums. A little one got into my chipmunk trap a couple years ago. Not having any issues with him, I opened the hatch and set it down on the ground. The little SOB came charging out, rose up on his haunches and HISSED at me! Cage smelled so bad afterwards I had to soak it in hot water and dish soap to get rid of the stench. Nasty little creatures. Lots of sharp little teeth too.
Yes, possums are nasty. If you think racoons are nasty, you have never met a possum. Racoons are spic and span compared to a possum. That is one reason I had to keep possums alive when giving them away. They would have to feed it a week or two to clean it out before eating it because a possum will eat some vile stuff.