How many of you enjoy a "Beater Boat?"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, I haven’t been on site in a while and was enjoying this thread.
I qualify as a beater boat owner. Recently finished the inside from floor up. Used carpet because I found a good deal and can’t wait to get catfish slime on it. I used snaps to install so if it goes bad I’ll just get rid of it.
The boat is a 1984-85 16/52 that needs a paint job and has plenty of battle scares. And looks like a beater until you see the new inside. Didn’t skimp on any of the important stuff. The wiring is all new and up to code , fuel system etc.
But it’s not going to bother me if I happen to bump a dock or a log.
Best thing about having a beater boat. It’s paid for.
From Texas- Y’all keep your lines tight: Douglas

I've had a lot of boats over the years. Some were very nice, others were complete junk. From a brand-new Grady White that I washed and waxed after every outing to an old scow that I never did anything to but let the rain wash it off.

When I had the new Grady, I fished a lot and caught a lot of fish when no one else did. After awhile, guys would follow me to see what I was doing, including some charter captains. As long as they didn't mess up the fishing, I didn't care. But if they couldn't catch fish while we were bailing them, sometimes they would get nasty, and rev their engines or even circle our boat at full blast before taking off, just to ruin our spot.

Once, a boat did that and almost crashed into us while fishing at night. I called the marine police, and they caught the guys. I think the driver got pulled off the boat for drunk driving and the boat got towed in, but I never heard anything else, so don't know the full outcome.

When we moved away from the Bay, I ended up selling the Grady after sitting for a year. Suddenly boatless, I found an old Bayliner with a Force 125 on the back that needed a transom for $1,000. I fixed it up, and suddenly, I was invisible! No one knew who I was. I could go and fish anywhere I wanted, and no one took a second look.

Now, living close to a lake, I've moved down to smaller boats. One day, I landed on my current tin boat, an old, dented up Princecraft Starfish from a college rowing team for $600. I pounded out some dents, added some platforms to keep the hull from denting in again, and put on several different motors. Eventually, I ended up with this:

OUTSIDE
View attachment 115754

INSIDE

View attachment 115755

I've got to say, I really love this boat. Dents, scratches and paint missing all over, even on the motor. It's really ugly, but it is solid, comfortable, light, cheap on gas and it runs flawlessly.

One of my favorite things about this boat is that no one gives it a second look. I slide right under the radar. When I'm on fish and other boats come near, I put on a goofy smile, turn the rod upside down and reel backwards, and wave frantically, asking if they know where any fish are?

They usually pin the throttle trying to get out of there, HAHAHA!!! I love my beater boat!

I'm again, trying to decide whether to "upgrade" with the 18 Starcraft or the 17 Spectrum. I've faced this decision a number of times before. I've had some really nice bass boats. But so far, after 8 or 10 years, I still have this one. That says something about me, I think.

Now I'm curious... How many of you wouldn't be caught dead in an old, beat-up boat? And how many of you don't mind one bit?

I love this thread! I have a 18’ WT Deep V Tracker Targa. Bought her new in 2001. Since moving to Central Oregon in 2005, I’ve had her out maybe a dozen times. Our summers are hot (and full of recreationists) and our winters are cold (relative to me); leaving spring and fall as my favorite time of year. Unfortunately our water levels drop really low in our reservoirs in the fall, and some of our best lakes have small ramps. I finally got so frustrated not being able to fish that I bought a 1979 14’ Sears Gamefisher. I frickin’ love her!!! I’ve had her out about 6 times (purchased in August) and am going out twice this week. I sit at the tiller, my daughter sits at the bow, and we can reach everything without having to get up and walk around. I can move her by hand, lift and straighten on trailer by myself, and adjust motor while sitting. I use a trolling motor so no gas to add, no oil to change, no mechanical issues to worry about, no winterizing to be done. I actually joined this forum after buying her, and what great ideas I’m getting! Many fun hours coming up working on her. Thanks all

I love this thread! I have a 18’ WT Deep V Tracker Targa. Bought her new in 2001. Since moving to Central Oregon in 2005, I’ve had her out maybe a dozen times. Our summers are hot (and full of recreationists) and our winters are cold (relative to me); leaving spring and fall as my favorite time of year. Unfortunately our water levels drop really low in our reservoirs in the fall, and some of our best lakes have small ramps. I finally got so frustrated not being able to fish that I bought a 1979 14’ Sears Gamefisher. I frickin’ love her!!! I’ve had her out about 6 times (purchased in August) and am going out twice this week. I sit at the tiller, my daughter sits at the bow, and we can reach everything without having to get up and walk around. I can move her by hand, lift and straighten on trailer by myself, and adjust motor while sitting. I use a trolling motor so no gas to add, no oil to change, no mechanical issues to worry about, no winterizing to be done. I actually joined this forum after buying her, and what great ideas I’m getting! Many fun hours coming up working on her. Thanks all
I had an old Sears v bottom I had traded a guy a 22 rifle for. Found an old trailer for a catamaran and loaded it on the flat bed and brought it home. I modified the trailer and added bunks and my Sears boat fit perfect. I used it here in a 38 acre lake that’s in our subdivision.
Then I found a 1983 Monark 16’ and extra wide beam with a 1992 40hp Yamaha. It was sitting in a field full of water. But I saw potential and wanted to fish the river and lakes around us.
I had to make a deal with the admiral. She said I could only restore one boat.

I posted the Sears for sale and a guy contacted me that wanted it bad. He had one that he fixed up with his dad and a flood in his area took it and he never saw it again.
He was so happy to get that boat it gave me a good feeling to sale it to him. About a year later her towed it all the way to my house just to show me what he had done. He decked it out.

Installed an electrical system and had led lights everywhere and put a little outboard on it after rebuilding the transom. Here’s a picture of what the boat looks like on the outside. I need to get him to send me other pictures.
That was three years ago and we’re friends and talk all the time.
131CA020-643D-4ED2-AF17-D6EEF770D6A3.jpeg

I had an old Sears v bottom I had traded a guy a 22 rifle for. Found an old trailer for a catamaran and loaded it on the flat bed and brought it home. I modified the trailer and added bunks and my Sears boat fit perfect. I used it here in a 38 acre lake that’s in our subdivision.
Then I found a 1983 Monark 16’ and extra wide beam with a 1992 40hp Yamaha. It was sitting in a field full of water. But I saw potential and wanted to fish the river and lakes around us.
I had to make a deal with the admiral. She said I could only restore one boat.

I posted the Sears for sale and a guy contacted me that wanted it bad. He had one that he fixed up with his dad and a flood in his area took it and he never saw it again.
He was so happy to get that boat it gave me a good feeling to sale it to him. About a year later her towed it all the way to my house just to show me what he had done. He decked it out.

Installed an electrical system and had led lights everywhere and put a little outboard on it after rebuilding the transom. Here’s a picture of what the boat looks like on the outside. I need to get him to send me other pictures.
That was three years ago and we’re friends and talk all the time.
View attachment 117482
Beauty! Mine won’t look like that. 1) I’m an “8-10” of all trades and 2) I get impatient and usually end up with “ good enough”. I do reduce-reuse-and recycle so there’s at least that. 😊

By the time am done with my Beater boat it will look sharp for what it is. The boat even after working out some dents is still just a beat up old boat with a fancy paint job. Very practical for a guy who plans on fishing solo and has no interest in getting in a foot race to reach my destination. No leaks very economical just no bragging rights.

6CBF1756-9132-489D-A0BE-4D11BF999FC8.jpeg
Beauty! Mine won’t look like that. 1) I’m an “8-10” of all trades and 2) I get impatient and usually end up with “ good enough”. I do reduce-reuse-and recycle so there’s at least that. 😊
Oh looking at mine it’s obvious it needs a paint job. It’s got several battle scares and a few bare spots. There are areas where I did some work and painted that area. The bottom paint slowly disappearing from the front back and showing the old paint underneath. But after I lot of corrosion abatement in the inside bottom I’ve built a new floor , seat cushions , all new wiring system not to mention the time spent on the outboard. It doesn’t fly across the water but has enough power to get me off the water when needed.

I’ll paint it one day but it won’t look like that pic. That man has a lot of patience. I’ll be lucky if I get the painters tape straight between colors. One color for topside then bottom boat paint.
Here’s mine.1851674A-46A0-4FE3-A9C3-BEDA18C3874C.jpeg
00EADDCE-7089-461B-A3E7-DE2892E4072A.jpeg
F4987996-91A8-43D9-9E1C-6FD7169869CB.jpeg
282813B8-94A3-41F6-A849-A55B0D5A6552.jpeg
It floats and no leaks and is sturdy to walk around in.

By the time am done with my Beater boat it will look sharp for what it is. The boat even after working out some dents is still just a beat up old boat with a fancy paint job. Very practical for a guy who plans on fishing solo and has no interest in getting in a foot race to reach my destination. No leaks very economical just no bragging rights.
I’ve been fallowing your thread sir. You have plenty of bragging rights.
Your using all top notch products and you saved that boat it’ll be around for a very long time.
I can only hope when I paint mine to do that good of a job.
I’ll be using your thread as a guide.

View attachment 117485
Oh looking at mine it’s obvious it needs a paint job. It’s got several battle scares and a few bare spots. There are areas where I did some work and painted that area. The bottom paint slowly disappearing from the front back and showing the old paint underneath. But after I lot of corrosion abatement in the inside bottom I’ve built a new floor , seat cushions , all new wiring system not to mention the time spent on the outboard. It doesn’t fly across the water but has enough power to get me off the water when needed.

I’ll paint it one day but it won’t look like that pic. That man has a lot of patience. I’ll be lucky if I get the painters tape straight between colors. One color for topside then bottom boat paint.
Here’s mine.View attachment 117486
View attachment 117487
View attachment 117488
View attachment 117489
It floats and no leaks and is sturdy to walk around in.

Here she is with 2 mods so far: deck for anchor winch and reinforcing the bow support stand. This trailer is pretty wimpy and that thing was twisting with every bump on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
Here she is with 2 mods so far: deck for anchor winch and reinforcing the bow support stand. This trailer is pretty wimpy and that thing was twisting with every bump on the road.
Looks good and I really like the winch. I’m still lowering my anchore by hand from the bow. Then I have to reach over and tie it to one of the handles on the outside. Every time I do it I say I have got to put a cleat up here the forget after I get home. Lol
You probably all ready know but careful using dissimilar metals together. Fasteners etc. Aluminum doesn’t play well with others. I had to replace everything because regular bolts and screws where used and they rusted causing the Aluminum on the boat to corrode.
Where applicable after getting rid of the corrosion I used aluminum rivnuts. Where I had to use stainless steel fasteners I coated with marine anti seize.
The marine anti seize doesn’t have any metals in it.
The problem with it is all you have to do is look at it and it gets all over you. Lol
Instead of the big brush attached to the lid t stole a small paint brush from my wife’s arts and craft supplies.

Looks good and I really like the winch. I’m still lowering my anchore by hand from the bow. Then I have to reach over and tie it to one of the handles on the outside. Every time I do it I say I have got to put a cleat up here the forget after I get home. Lol
You probably all ready know but careful using dissimilar metals together. Fasteners etc. Aluminum doesn’t play well with others. I had to replace everything because regular bolts and screws where used and they rusted causing the Aluminum on the boat to corrode.
Where applicable after getting rid of the corrosion I used aluminum rivnuts. Where I had to use stainless steel fasteners I coated with marine anti seize.
The marine anti seize doesn’t have any metals in it.
The problem with it is all you have to do is look at it and it gets all over you. Lol
Instead of the big brush attached to the lid t stole a small paint brush from my wife’s arts and craft supplies.
Ok, I have to fess up; I’m a 66 year old mom and grandmother who finally, in the last few years, has been able to piddle and fiddle to my heart’s content, and I appreciate the metal info, my ignorance is showing,I didn’t know. So, where aluminum rivets won’t work use ss with marine anti seize?

Ok, I have to fess up; I’m a 66 year old mom and grandmother who finally, in the last few years, has been able to piddle and fiddle to my heart’s content, and I appreciate the metal info, my ignorance is showing,I didn’t know. So, where aluminum rivets won’t work use ss with marine anti seize?
I already had you pegged with the welding question. 👍

Aluminum pop rivets (I call them pop rivets) or aluminum rivnuts which are different. The rivnuts requires a specific size hole drilled depending on the size rivnut. But you drill your hole and thread the rivnut onto a rivnut tool and stick it in the pre drilled hole squeeze the handle and I swells up like a rivet. Unscrew the tool and you have a place to put a screw or bolt.
I put stainless in all mine with the marine anti seize and now I have a barrier between the stainless and aluminum.
A lot of people don’t like rivnuts it’s just a preference. Your putting a larger hole in the boat using them. It takes a long time for stainless steel to react with aluminum since it’s pretty much corrosion free itself.
My brackets I made for my bilge pump and float switch are attached to the rear seat by the drain with aluminum pop rivets.
I hunt for big catfish so I have big rod holders I ordered that are 1/2” threaded and all of them I used rivnuts to mount the bases. I’ve put my rods in them and can’t pull them out. Then I decided to screw the rod holders back in again and grabbed them with my hands this time. I pulled and tugged and rocked them back and forth every angle and this rivnuts didn’t give at all. The last thing I want is to have several rods out and a big blue cat hit one wide open and yank my whole rig in the boat.These are on the top gunnels. For deck mounting I used the suggested stainless steel screw size from the guy that built the holders. Can’t remember exactly but they’re huge.
I don’t use anti seize for screws it’s for bolts.
I’m going to look and see if I have a pic of the rod holders with rivnuts.

This is a great site and there’s always someone to answer any questions you might have. They helped me learn a lot. Now I’m trying to help others from my experience rebuilding my boat. I’m just at a stage where I could stop and do some fishing for now. I’m rebuilding the front deck next and adding more storage space. Eventually I’ll get to paint it and the trailer.
A21802BB-A7D5-4479-A6E5-9941BCA65EB8.jpeg5D595B6E-ED6A-4C40-A8F6-C16E8CF1537E.jpeg You can zoom in and see the mounts. Just looks like they’re screwed into the boat.

Aluminum pop rivets (I call them pop rivets) or aluminum rivnuts which are different. The rivnuts requires a specific size hole drilled depending on the size rivnut. But you drill your hole and thread the rivnut onto a rivnut tool and stick it in the pre drilled hole squeeze the handle and I swells up like a rivet. Unscrew the tool and you have a place to put a screw or bolt.
I put stainless in all mine with the marine anti seize and now I have a barrier between the stainless and aluminum.
A lot of people don’t like rivnuts it’s just a preference. Your putting a larger hole in the boat using them. It takes a long time for stainless steel to react with aluminum since it’s pretty much corrosion free itself.
My brackets I made for my bilge pump and float switch are attached to the rear seat by the drain with aluminum pop rivets.
I hunt for big catfish so I have big rod holders I ordered that are 1/2” threaded and all of them I used rivnuts to mount the bases. I’ve put my rods in them and can’t pull them out. Then I decided to screw the rod holders back in again and grabbed them with my hands this time. I pulled and tugged and rocked them back and forth every angle and this rivnuts didn’t give at all. The last thing I want is to have several rods out and a big blue cat hit one wide open and yank my whole rig in the boat.These are on the top gunnels. For deck mounting I used the suggested stainless steel screw size from the guy that built the holders. Can’t remember exactly but they’re huge.
I don’t use anti seize for screws it’s for bolts.
I’m going to look and see if I have a pic of the rod holders with rivnuts.

This is a great site and there’s always someone to answer any questions you might have. They helped me learn a lot. Now I’m trying to help others from my experience rebuilding my boat. I’m just at a stage where I could stop and do some fishing for now. I’m rebuilding the front deck next and adding more storage space. Eventually I’ll get to paint it and the trailer.
View attachment 117496View attachment 117497 You can zoom in and see the mounts. Just looks like they’re screwed into the boat.
Thanks Douglasdzaster!

Thanks Douglasdzaster!
You bet. I could fill up several pages talking about what I’ve learned and experiences. I get excited about that and my truck. Makes my friends run when they thin I’m fixing to start up on either subject. Lol
On this site ask anything about boats to life jackets. Lol
When I put in my wiring system I learned a lot here as well as corrosion abatement etc. I basically started my boat from the ground up and there has always been someone here to help me. Including some veteran boaters that are very knowledgeable.Couldn’t have gotten this far without them.
That’s one of twelve grandkids in my profile picture holding his first fish. That makes everything I do worth while.

I've had a lot of boats over the years. Some were very nice, others were complete junk. From a brand-new Grady White that I washed and waxed after every outing to an old scow that I never did anything to but let the rain wash it off.

When I had the new Grady, I fished a lot and caught a lot of fish when no one else did. After awhile, guys would follow me to see what I was doing, including some charter captains. As long as they didn't mess up the fishing, I didn't care. But if they couldn't catch fish while we were bailing them, sometimes they would get nasty, and rev their engines or even circle our boat at full blast before taking off, just to ruin our spot.

Once, a boat did that and almost crashed into us while fishing at night. I called the marine police, and they caught the guys. I think the driver got pulled off the boat for drunk driving and the boat got towed in, but I never heard anything else, so don't know the full outcome.

When we moved away from the Bay, I ended up selling the Grady after sitting for a year. Suddenly boatless, I found an old Bayliner with a Force 125 on the back that needed a transom for $1,000. I fixed it up, and suddenly, I was invisible! No one knew who I was. I could go and fish anywhere I wanted, and no one took a second look.

Now, living close to a lake, I've moved down to smaller boats. One day, I landed on my current tin boat, an old, dented up Princecraft Starfish from a college rowing team for $600. I pounded out some dents, added some platforms to keep the hull from denting in again, and put on several different motors. Eventually, I ended up with this:

OUTSIDE
View attachment 115754

INSIDE

View attachment 115755

I've got to say, I really love this boat. Dents, scratches and paint missing all over, even on the motor. It's really ugly, but it is solid, comfortable, light, cheap on gas and it runs flawlessly.

One of my favorite things about this boat is that no one gives it a second look. I slide right under the radar. When I'm on fish and other boats come near, I put on a goofy smile, turn the rod upside down and reel backwards, and wave frantically, asking if they know where any fish are?

They usually pin the throttle trying to get out of there, HAHAHA!!! I love my beater boat!

I'm again, trying to decide whether to "upgrade" with the 18 Starcraft or the 17 Spectrum. I've faced this decision a number of times before. I've had some really nice bass boats. But so far, after 8 or 10 years, I still have this one. That says something about me, I think.

Now I'm curious... How many of you wouldn't be caught dead in an old, beat-up boat? And how many of you don't mind one bit?

Attachments

• Close up.jpg
    Close up.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SIDE VIEW.jpg
    SIDE VIEW.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230701080214.jpg
    IMG20230701080214.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
  • RED KAYAK.jpg
    RED KAYAK.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Z 51405 12 x 54.jpg
    Z 51405 12 x 54.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230927083026 (1).jpg
    IMG20230927083026 (1).jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SIDE VIEW.jpg
    SIDE VIEW.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FRONT VIEW.jpg
    FRONT VIEW.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20231023090354.jpg
    IMG20231023090354.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230919131311.jpg
    IMG20230919131311.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 0
Old boats are like old trucks, they have character, the more dents and scratches the more character they have. I am having to put a new motor in my 1977 Chevrolet pick up truck but I still love that truck and will not sell her off. Same with the old boat, might need a new motor, trolling motor but as long as she will float and get me to and from my fishing spots I am like many of you I don't care what people think or say, just let me fish and enjoy my time on the water.