New Tinny

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Hey, look what followed me home yesterday! It's a Sears/Elgin according to the transom tag. Looks to be about a 12 footer, but I read some of these boats were available in 6" increments. With a max rating of 7.5 HP, should be a good match for the 6.5 Evinrude I have.

I know how hard it is to figure out who made these old boats and what year, but if anybody has any thoughts please let me know. The PO told me he thinks it's a 2000, but I kind of doubt it. I'm guessing it's from the 60s or 70s. Also is the serial no. on the transom tag considered to be the hull no? If not where should I look for one?

Attachments

• Elgin 02.jpg
    Elgin 02.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Elgin 04.jpg
    Elgin 04.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Elgin 06.jpg
    Elgin 06.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Elgin 07.jpg
    Elgin 07.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 2
Also is the serial no. on the transom tag considered to be the hull no? If not where should I look for one?

The serial plate is not a HIN. If made prior to 1972 (Aug 4th I believe) it was not required to have a HIN. If after 1972 here was the law -

181.29 Hull identification number
display.
(a) The hull identification number
must be carved, burned, stamped, em
bossed, or otherwise permanently affixed
to the outboard side of the transom or,
if there is no transom, to the outermost
starboard side at the end of the hull
that bears the rudder or other steering
mechanism, above the waterline of the
boat in such a way that alteration, re
moval, or replacement would be obvious
and evident.
(b) The characters of the hull iden
tification number must be no less than
one-fourth of an inch in height.

The use of the Elgin badge makes it pre-1964.

Sears is one of the most difficult private badges to decode, too.
In the aluminum world, Sea Nymph and Myers carried most of the weight, but Lone Star, Arkansas Traveller, and others gained many short term contracts.
Additionally, many years had multiple suppliers at the same time, and then, just to put a final point of difficulty on it, Sears was known to buy up lots of over-production from just anybody. It gets tough to ID Sears if you don't automatically recognize the construction.

Ultimately, I've found that seat construction, transom knees, corner hardware, and the rivet pattern in the bow are the best clues.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Looks like I can give up looking for a HIN and once more I'll have to apply for one. Odd thing is the boat looks like it was previously registered in Indiana. I need to find out if can register a boat here without a title, because I suspect this boat never had one.

As for what I plan to do with it, is match it up with a 6 HP motor I got sitting around to make a decent little fishing boat. Not sure if will keep it or not, but got 3 boats now, so something has got to go. BTW I've been saying the little 'rude is a 6.5, don't know where I got that from, it's actually 6.

I'll post up some more pics when get a chance in hopes one of you boat gurus can tell me who made it.

Well Indiana being Indiana, per the BMV ALL watercraft must have a title, but there is a pretty long list of exceptions. Like if the boat sold for less than $2k new. I saw an old Sears ad for a boat that looks like mine and it was under $200. Hm, wonder if they'd just take my word for it.

I don't know why, but would kinda like to know the manufacturer so attaching a few more pics. From what I can tell it's probably not a Sea Nymph. I also read somebody saying the s/n includes the manufacturer's name:
m/n: 62126 s/n: AT - 22F0672

Attachments

• Elgin 11.jpg
    Elgin 11.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Elgin 12.jpg
    Elgin 12.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Elgin 13.jpg
    Elgin 13.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Elgin 17.jpg