Quick Minn Kota trolling motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
I just replaced my old Minn Kota endura max with a Traxxis 55.
I was wondering can I use a ceramic wax on the motor it’s self also I have a product called Cerakote that’s for plastic trim on vehicles that’s good for protection and keeps a lot of dust etc from sticking? Can I use it on the composite shaft and the plastic head?
Probably the head but I don’t know about the shaft and making it smother to operate.
I have my old unit I can test for compatibility. Once this stuff is applied it’s not going anywhere for a long time.
Has anyone ever done this or thought about it?
As always I appreciate any thoughts.

I use spray on auto wax on all the plastic parts including the shaft to make it slide. Never an issue and so quick and easy to touch up/ recoat. Have also used beeswax furniture polish with great sucess.
Thank you sir. I have some TW hybrid solutions spray on ceramic wax with black pigment that I’ll never use on my truck again and it says good for plastic even glass.
I just took my old TM and taped off an area and applied it and on the other side Cerakote ceramic trim coating. I left it sit for a couple hours.
The Cerakote is the shiniest and slickest stuff I’ve ever seen on that shaft.
And it’s supposed to really stay put. I was worried about messing up the composite shaft since my TM is new and under warranty. Even called MK and was told that I should not use anything except what thy recommend which I been doing for years. Pledge , armor all or water based silicone spray which none of them last long.
With today’s products I thought there had to be a better way.
Unfortunately today while waiting on the Cerakote I went ahead and cleaned the new one and hit it with armor all.
I didn’t do anything to it when I first got it and everything was hard to operate (I get a dummy award) I put armor all on everything except the motor itself. The tilting tiller and slide out the handle and put some on the throttle shaft. After working everything a bit it’s a smooth motor. I bought a Traxxis because all I had to do to stow it was lift up and pull. I was upset that I had trouble with it. Not anymore.
I was saying things about Minn Kota and how nobody makes things like they used to. Now I gotta take some of that back.

Thank you sir. I have some TW hybrid solutions spray on ceramic wax with black pigment that I’ll never use on my truck again and it says good for plastic even glass.
I just took my old TM and taped off an area and applied it and on the other side Cerakote ceramic trim coating. I left it sit for a couple hours.
The Cerakote is the shiniest and slickest stuff I’ve ever seen on that shaft.
And it’s supposed to really stay put. I was worried about messing up the composite shaft since my TM is new and under warranty. Even called MK and was told that I should not use anything except what thy recommend which I been doing for years. Pledge , armor all or water based silicone spray which none of them last long.
With today’s products I thought there had to be a better way.
Unfortunately today while waiting on the Cerakote I went ahead and cleaned the new one and hit it with armor all.
I didn’t do anything to it when I first got it and everything was hard to operate (I get a dummy award) I put armor all on everything except the motor itself. The tilting tiller and slide out the handle and put some on the throttle shaft. After working everything a bit it’s a smooth motor. I bought a Traxxis because all I had to do to stow it was lift up and pull. I was upset that I had trouble with it. Not anymore.
I was saying things about Minn Kota and how nobody makes things like they used to. Now I gotta take some of that back.
I just took the tape off and thought I would post a pic. It’s easy to tell the little spot I put the Cerakote on the 12 year old shaft.CB43CE2E-F682-4332-B849-BC71E3774BDF.jpeg

On the shaft I use silicone grease. Comes in a tube from the local hardware store plumbing department. Basically friction free both putting it out or pulling it in.
Does it dry and stay slick? Or ever have any dirt etc stick to it.
Silicone grease would be a lot cheaper than than Cerakote. Does it last awhile? Armor all and Pledge is what I used all these years because I was told to. But I’d have to redo it quite often.

I use it, too on my powerdrive. I put it on a little heavy at first and then work it up and down until everything is buttery smooth. This gets it on the inside bushings, where the shaft slides. Then I wipe the excess off.

I don't have any issue with it collecting dirt, but I keep my boat covered when not in use. When I notice pollen sticking to the motor, a quick rinse/wipe and it's gone. It lasts a long time.

Lately, I've been using spray on lithium grease. It works well, too. This makes the pain in the butt deployment of the PD motors go MUCH easier.

I use it, too on my powerdrive. I put it on a little heavy at first and then work it up and down until everything is buttery smooth. This gets it on the inside bushings, where the shaft slides. Then I wipe the excess off.

I don't have any issue with it collecting dirt, but I keep my boat covered when not in use. When I notice pollen sticking to the motor, a quick rinse/wipe and it's gone. It lasts a long time.

Lately, I've been using spray on lithium grease. It works well, too. This makes the pain in the butt deployment of the PD motors go MUCH easier.
Thanks for the information. I have spray white lithium grease. Mine comes off the boat as soon as I’m off the water then it gets unloaded into the shop. If I’m going out the next day I’ll put the cover on the boat so no one can peak inside. Unfortunately we have a couple different houses in our subdivision that meanest us have to not leave anything out overnight..

Does it dry and stay slick? Or ever have any dirt etc stick to it.
Silicone grease would be a lot cheaper than than Cerakote. Does it last awhile? Armor all and Pledge is what I used all these years because I was told to. But I’d have to redo it quite often.

I made it part of my 6 month maintenance schedule. It doesn't seem to collect dirt, but my boat is under a cover when not in use too. Like @thill says I spend some time rubbing it in.

Thanks for the information. I have spray white lithium grease. Mine comes off the boat as soon as I’m off the water then it gets unloaded into the shop. If I’m going out the next day I’ll put the cover on the boat so no one can peak inside. Unfortunately we have a couple different houses in our subdivision that meanest us have to not leave anything out overnight..
Honestly, I have found the beeswax furniture spray polish seems to work the best on my MK composit shaft. Sheds water, smells good, all natural product so no harm to any material. Lasts longer than the spray car polish. Also use it on my firearms on stocks and the metal surfaces!! Protects both SS and blued steel. The spray on auto wax does do better on the painted hull.

I use spray on auto wax on all the plastic parts including the shaft to make it slide. Never an issue and so quick and easy to touch up/ recoat. Have also used beeswax furniture polish with great sucess.

Airshot, does the wax bring the plastic back to life? I notice some of mine like the down riggers and TM are starting to fade.

I have a big black cot that is difficult to fold up, I bet some of these lubricant methods would help.
Yes sir with today’s products you can put a watermelon in a marble sack.
Where I applied that Cerakote ceramic plastic coating on the old shaft that spot still looks new and shiny. I have to force the height adjustment to move back and forth on the shaft until I get to the coated spot there it’s smooth as ice. And no wet or oily residue can’t even leave a finger print on it.
If that cot has metal hinges hit it with some silicone spray or silicone grease..

I hate thieves. Glad we have a fenced yard with two Rottweilers and live back in the woods. In the city, we got stuff stolen on occasion, including our car once, and you are never quite ready for it.

Honestly, I have found the beeswax furniture spray polish seems to work the best on my MK composit shaft. Sheds water, smells good, all natural product so no harm to any material. Lasts longer than the spray car polish. Also use it on my firearms on stocks and the metal surfaces!! Protects both SS and blued steel. The spray on auto wax does do better on the painted hull.
That's interesting. I'm a beekeeper:
Resized_20220403_150438(1).jpeg
Resized_20220403_150356.jpeg
IMG_2403.jpg

I've made candles, (boring!) but don't really use the wax for anything. I just give it away, usually.

Maybe I'll warm up some wax, mix it with a little mineral oil, stir it into a paste and see how it works on stuff. Might be a good use for it.

Airshot, does the wax bring the plastic back to life? I notice some of mine like the down riggers and TM are starting to fade.
Haven't tried it on faded plastic, don't have any faded plastic to try it on !! Would guess probably not because it washes of faster when used on my painted hull.

I hate thieves. Glad we have a fenced yard with two Rottweilers and live back in the woods. In the city, we got stuff stolen on occasion, including our car once, and you are never quite ready for it.

View attachment 119151
View attachment 119152
View attachment 119150

I've made candles, (boring!) but don't really use the wax for anything. I just give it away, usually.

Maybe I'll warm up some wax, mix it with a little mineral oil, stir it into a paste and see how it works on stuff. Might be a good use for it.
You never cease to amaze me, Thill. You are a renaissance man!

View attachment 119151
View attachment 119152
View attachment 119150

My wife was on the front porch above 10pm and could hear the back doors on the shop rattling. She came in and got me. I turned my Doberman loose out the back door of the house with me right behind him spot light in one hand and a property protector in the other.
This guy was fast he cleared the back fence and threw a small patch of woods and I heard a bike start up on the street behind us and take off screaming. If someone out here did this they have some big ones because I usually keep my truck close to the front of the house. And we know how our local addicts and thieves are. My neighbor and I have confronted them and let them know it’s a very bad idea to mess with either one of our houses. My neighbor is across the street. Everyone knows him as Phycho.
He has a privacy fence and purple paint on some trees and that fence along with each property corner. Sits on his front porch sometimes wiping off an AR-15 with double drum magazines.

I wish you had those bees near our house they would help our garden tremendously.

Latest posts