Towing with Smaller SUV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might not be a factor in this conversation, but I towed my Princecraft 16 for many miles over many years with a Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3L V6.

No issues whatsoever, but I changed my tranny fluid every other year to make sure no issues. We used that thing for everything, and it never complained. Sold our 2008 in 2023 and the family that got it are ecstatic at how perfect it is. That was our second one, and both were perfect.

I did tow boats with our Sequoia. Different than a Pilot, but still an SUV.
Will it tow fine and safe, yes. Do I prefer towing with a truck, yes.
The SUV rear end is much softer than a truck and will squat some.
SUV wheel base is shorter and what you'll notice....shorter equals more up/down movement.

Personally, I always like having a truck for various needs...either towing, hauling, etc. I like driving trucks and sitting higher off ground.

I'm 61 and will probably always have a truck. I need one now as I tow the boat and our TT when we go camping.

Pros/Cons and the way my mind would tackle such an event....

How often are ALL g-kids together in your vehicle that you need everyone to fit in one vehicle?
How far will you be traveling with said g-kids to justify one vehicle vs two?

I would sell/trade the CRV for the Pilot and keep the utilitarian truck OR I would just add the Pilot to your vehicles. Remember, you can always sell the truck later if you end up really liking the tow experience with the Pilot.

Don't rush into anything.....adding the Pilot first gives to time to either sell/keep the truck.
Very logical and conservative.

My wife is on her 2nd V6 Toyota Highlander, which competes with the Pilot. The 1st had a hitch, but I only towed utility and the lighter 1648 jon with it. It is 7 passenger and have used all three seats on family vacations. Don't bother looking at the Highlander though, as of 2023 they don't offer the V6, just turbo 4cyl. I think even the new Grand Highlander is only 4cyl turbo.

I tow with a V6 4Runner, and before that with a V6 Pathfinder. These are more "truck" like with a frame, and ride like one. I pull the G3, which is about 200-300lbs more that yours, easily. I also towed the 20' bowrider, and now the pontoon with it. Those are dual axle though, and not as easy of a tow, but doable.

I had to raise the ball up for the G3, so also got a longer "shank" with it so the hatch can open. It only rubs on the trolling motor if I'm cocked to the one side. Having a rear window that opens on the hatch is a plus.

Coming from a larger pick-up to the Pilot, you will loose allot of "back-up" view. While the back-up cameras are great for positioning the hitch over the ball, I get all side to side messed up using it for which way to cut the wheels. You might need some practice with it, especially for that up hill part you mentioned.

When I got the Pathfinder, I grappled with the Pick-up vs SUV for quite a while. The SUV worked out great for me. I already had a "pick-up on a stick" though. A 5x9 utilility trailer. Something you might consider, if you decide to go that way.
I also tow with a 4Runner. I will never be able to back up a trailer with the camera.

I did tow boats with our Sequoia. Different than a Pilot, but still an SUV.
Will it tow fine and safe, yes. Do I prefer towing with a truck, yes.
The SUV rear end is much softer than a truck and will squat some.
SUV wheel base is shorter and what you'll notice....shorter equals more up/down movement.

Personally, I always like having a truck for various needs...either towing, hauling, etc. I like driving trucks and sitting higher off ground.

I'm 61 and will probably always have a truck. I need one now as I tow the boat and our TT when we go camping.

Pros/Cons and the way my mind would tackle such an event....

How often are ALL g-kids together in your vehicle that you need everyone to fit in one vehicle?
How far will you be traveling with said g-kids to justify one vehicle vs two?

I would sell/trade the CRV for the Pilot and keep the utilitarian truck OR I would just add the Pilot to your vehicles. Remember, you can always sell the truck later if you end up really liking the tow experience with the Pilot.

Don't rush into anything.....adding the Pilot first gives to time to either sell/keep the truck.

We must think alike. What you describe was actually our first option. I've always kind of had this rule about one person, one vehicle. That may change because Mrs Ldubs wants to keep the CRV as kind of a daily use car. It is 13 years old, 91K, still looks good, and runs solid as a rock. If we decide to, it would be easy to sell.

There are four reasons to make me seriously consider trading in the RAM:

1. The requirement that the replacement would serve the purpose of pulling the boat. So far, feedback here is positive.
  2. At 72 I have come to the rude realization I'm just not as robust as I used to be and the days of doing heavy lifting are past. Things I would have done myself just a few years ago are now hired out. All said, I don't need hauling capacity beyond the boat.
  3. The RAM's trade in value is crazy high. We will save a very significant amount of money.
  4. Mrs Ldubs is 10 years younger than me. We are low mileage drivers and normally keep vehicles for 10+ years. If there comes a day I cannot drive, she would have a newer vehicle at hand she could use.

Bottom line, while not a done deal, I guess this has become a practical option I want to seriously explore.

I wasn't kidding about Turb/Supercharger, I have been looking at these myself, for the almost exact reasons you are.

Last edited:

I wasn't kidding about Turb/Supercharger, I have been looking at these myself, for the almost exact reasons you are.

I love hearing the turbo spool up while towing! Whistle while you work! Here's a pic of mine doing what it does for a living.

Attachments

• 20240124_084655.jpg
    20240124_084655.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
Whatever vehicle your thinking of, “test drive” to your boat. Back up to it, see if the rear gate opens. If it has a hitch, hook up, see how much it squats the potential vehicle. 150# of trailer tongue is different than people in the back seat.
If it has a hitch, ask dealer if you can test tow with it. Not far, just enough to get a feel.
The longer wheelbase, the better the towing experience.

As for turbos, they’re good and bad.
Before buying my current Nissan Titan, test drove the Silverado with a 2.7 liter turbo 4 cylinder. Then drove a 8 cylinder Silverado, no comparison. The 2.7 won for off the line. That was the “peppiest “ vehicle, out of all the half tons I test drove. I couldn’t wrap my head around towing a travel trailer with a 4 cylinder.

I've owned several turbocharged vehicles over the years.. Plymouth laser, Nissan 300zx, dodge Daytona, mazdaspeed3 and my current ram 2500. They require more maintenance and the gasoline turbocharged engines are not known for longevity. They are rather fun to drive though.

My 3.5 F150 Ecoboost has been solid, and barely even feels my 22' center console.

I currently have a little 1.5L Escape SE with the turbo. Very peppy, but not sure how, or even if it will tow my jon. Going to be looking into that this week.

EDIT: I just looked it up. Mine has a tow rating of 2,000 LBS with the 1.5L engine:
2018 Ford Escape Towing Capacity - TowStats.com
2018-Ford-Escape-Towing-Capacity.png
It seems that is cutting it really close with my current boat. Probably won't try that, but the above picture is of a fiberglass boat that is obviously heaver than my tinny. I need to think about that one.

Maybe I need to take my boat to a scale and see what it actually weighs before deciding.

Last edited:
You can install air bags they won't increase the weight capacity but will help with the squat.

With the number of grandkids Mrs Ldubs says it is time to get an 8 passenger SUV. But, it has to be on the smaller side so she is comfortable driving.

One option, which would save us a ton of money, is to trade in my RAM. I like the RAM but realistically am at a stage in life where I don’t practically need a pickup. I don't get emotionally attached to possessions, but I am spoiled with the ease of towing the boat. My son, surprisingly, says I don't really need the RAM and I should definitely trade it in as long as the replacement will handle the boat. Mrs Ldubs says just to make sure I won't regret it.

My boat/trailer is about 1,500#. All the ramps I use are concrete.

We are kind of leaning towards a Honda Pilot. Fuel injected V6 motor. 10 speed transmission. Towing capacity of 5,000# in all wheel drive mode. Payload spec is about 1,300#. All well within what I would need to tow my boat. It also has hill assist. I have that on my RAM and kind of find it irritating. But with the Pilot it would probably be a good thing at the ramp.

Being these are, I assume, relatively light duty vehicles, I do have some concern how the suspension would handle the tongue weight (about 150#). I wonder if it would squat. I wouldn’t like dealing with that. Additionally, storing my boat requires backing up a slight incline. I wonder if this would be an issue.

I also have to check to see if the tailgate can be opened with the trailer attached.

I am leaning one way on this, but am still considering the option.

To get to my question, is anyone out there towing with a small SUV willing to share their experience and thoughts?
A pilot is more than enough to handle any single axle boat/trailer combo. I see peope trying to tow large boats with midsize SUVs and they concern me more but not a 1500-2000 lb trailer/boat combo.

Whatever vehicle your thinking of, “test drive” to your boat. Back up to it, see if the rear gate opens. If it has a hitch, hook up, see how much it squats the potential vehicle. 150# of trailer tongue is different than people in the back seat.
If it has a hitch, ask dealer if you can test tow with it. Not far, just enough to get a feel.
The longer wheelbase, the better the towing experience.

This would be ideal. I mentioned to Mrs Ldubs yesterday, that I might just tow the boat over the the nearest dealer do do some testing.

This would be ideal. I mentioned to Mrs Ldubs yesterday, that I might just tow the boat over the the nearest dealer do do some testing.
Bring a tow ball on a hitch bar with you.
Will be interesting to see if they let you do it.

I woukd be very surprised if they let you test...
Depends on dealer most won't but he may find one that will. I did something similar before buying a 2500 ram. I had a 2006 gmc 3500 dually and went to multiple dealers before I found one that would let me hook our camper to it. I was worried about stepping down even though the 2017 2500 had a higher tow rating then my 06 dually.

As for turbos, they’re good and bad.
Before buying my current Nissan Titan, test drove the Silverado with a 2.7 liter turbo 4 cylinder. Then drove a 8 cylinder Silverado, no comparison. The 2.7 won for off the line. That was the “peppiest “ vehicle, out of all the half tons I test drove. I couldn’t wrap my head around towing a travel trailer with a 4 cylinder.

The torque curve on a turbo engine is really ideal for towing.

I had a 5.3 Silverado before my current F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. Only 10hp difference on paper between them, but feels like night and day. The torque from that 2.7 comes in hard just past 2000rpm and peaks at 3200. Felt like the 5.3 wouldn't make anything below 4000.

Bring a tow ball on a hitch bar with you.
Will be interesting to see if they let you do it.
I woukd be very surprised if they let you test...

I doubt they will actually let me hook up the trailer and drive it around. But if they do that would be terrific. I would be happy if they just let me put the tongue weight on it.

If not, I was thinking I unhook the boat trailer in their parking area, back the Pilot up to within a few inches of the boat trailer, and then check to make sure I will be able to open the rear hatch. I might even be able to get a heavy salesperson to sit above the bumper to see how much it squats.

Only one Pilot trim level comes with a receiver hitch installed and it isn't the trim level I would want. On the others, the hitch has to be added along with some kind of replacement rear panel with what I suppose is a cut out for the hitch.

I have saw them with weight distributing hitches, just assumed they were factory. If you stayed in there parking lot, I would bet they would let you hookup and go around the parking lot !!