Trolling Motor Circuit Breakers - 60amp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
During my wiring planning I recall reading that ABYC requires circuit breakers to be mounted within 7" of the source of power (battery).

My new boat came with a 12V TM and I am changing it out to a 24V TM. The OEM wiring for the 12V TM did have a breaker with a short 7" pigtail to positive side of battery. The breaker was not mounted, just free floating on wire circuit. Apparently they followed ABYC guidelines...good to know! However, I wonder if mounting the breaker is also an ABYC requirement?

The 60amp breakers, typically used on TMs, have two mounting holes for use when mounting the breaker to a flat surface.
How could this breaker be mounted to flat surface (ex. battery compartment) and still be within 7" of the positive battery terminal?

Are your breakers within 7" and how did you mount the breaker so close to battery to accomplish this? Pics would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Pic of breaker in question.....

1704422743784.png

On the G3, it is close to the battery, but not mounted to anything. On the DMI 1648, mounted to the plastic battery box.

My Crestliner 1750 has the breaker within 2ft of the house battery. The TM breaker is within a foot or so.

It may or may not be ABYC compliant but, a guy could add fuse that is somewhat larger than the breaker directly at the battery post. Then mount the breaker nearby. The wire from the fuse to breaker would need to be large enough to handle the fuse breaking current.

Attachments

• IMG_4270.png
    IMG_4270.png
    460 KB · Views: 0
My breakers are close to the batteries, but the wires to the batteries are longer than 7".

Here's mow I mounted my breakers relative to the battery. The breakers (one for TM, other for accessories fuse panel) are mounted on the side of the center bench.

Boat battery compartment.jpg

OBTW: Any adherence on my part to recommended 7" distance to the battery is pure accidental. :LOL:

Are your breakers within 7" and how did you mount the breaker so close to battery to accomplish this? Pics would be appreciated!

Mine is easily within 7", but mounted on the other side of a bulkhead. So the cable run is at least 16" if I had to guess. I think I used the same breaker as you.

Thanks for the replies and pics. I'll try and get the breaker distance from pos battery terminal as close as possible to the 7". I will mount it to the battery compartment.

Latest posts