Which 6 hp outboard to purchase?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the smaller <90hp outboards I agree the 2 strokes have a lot of benefits over their modern day 4 stroke counter parts. The new 4cyl and up 4 strokes are in my opinion better than the old 2 strokes though. The old 2 strokes that size went through a hell of a lot more fuel and were loud as ****. A couple hrs trolling for rockfish with my old 115 evenrude left me with a headache both from the fumes and the noise. We also had to carry spare sparkplugs if we planned to troll all day as there was a fair chance we could foul one. The newer 4 strokes that size have proven capable of thousands of hrs trouble free use and at speed you can have a conversation with your fishing buddy. Cheaper to operate too gasoline cost enough without adding synthetic 2 stroke mix in. Not a big deal on a little motor but a 150 2 stroke is a thirsty pig.

So tell me it's not just me. I LIKE the smell, sound, and performance of 2 stroke motors. 4 strokes are just kinda boring to me. Like having a lawn mower engine on your boat. I'm not fond of I/Os for the same reason. They sound like cars with a bad muffler. Pretty sure I'd miss the feeling I get with a strong running 2 banger. Old time dirt biker and snowmobiler here. I guess some don't really get that feel?
I grew up with 2 stroke motors too and so i do prefer them for many reasons BUT the new 4 stroke although heavy are very reliable and smooth running.

On the smaller <90hp outboards I agree the 2 strokes have a lot of benefits over their modern day 4 stroke counter parts. The new 4cyl and up 4 strokes are in my opinion better than the old 2 strokes though. The old 2 strokes that size went through a hell of a lot more fuel and were loud as ****. A couple hrs trolling for rockfish with my old 115 evenrude left me with a headache both from the fumes and the noise. We also had to carry spare sparkplugs if we planned to troll all day as there was a fair chance we could foul one. The newer 4 strokes that size have proven capable of thousands of hrs trouble free use and at speed you can have a conversation with your fishing buddy. Cheaper to operate too gasoline cost enough without adding synthetic 2 stroke mix in. Not a big deal on a little motor but a 150 2 stroke is a thirsty pig.
Gotta agree there, if I need something over 100hp then I would go back to my I/O. Loved mine...easy to work on, parts were much cheaper than outboard parts, buy extra maintenence!! But I do love my ole 40 hp Merc classic. Just a touch of two stroke smell with the oil injection, fast, and quiet as far as I am concerned. Not much louder than my neighbor's Honda 50 four stroke....

Gotta agree there, if I need something over 100hp then I would go back to my I/O. Loved mine...easy to work on, parts were much cheaper than outboard parts, buy extra maintenence!! But I do love my ole 40 hp Merc classic. Just a touch of two stroke smell with the oil injection, fast, and quiet as far as I am concerned. Not much louder than my neighbor's Honda 50 four stroke....
True on all accounts. I still am running a 1988 Mercury 35 HP on my 16 ft Alumacraft Yukon and love the sound and smell of it..........it just suits the boat in every way!

Attachments

• Photo2397.jpg
    Photo2397.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
You guys talk like two strokes are a dime a dozen. Well guess what they are not. They quit selling them years ago. Wake up and smell the coffee. You're all acting like you got one over on everybody. Oh yea am the man with my 20 year old two stroke. Your not. Granted it was a good motor during its time but its time has past. Horse power big men. Bull a simple six will get you around just fine. Tired of the macho man bull. I think your all full of crap.
Two strokes are EVERYWHERE.. Facebook marketplace..