1 or 2 Batts for Starting and House?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are great in motorhomes and trucks with high drain issues, just not a good fit with outboards where the charge rates are low.
Dual purpose batteries are just that.
Starting your outboard and powering your accessories using deep cycle technology. I never had a issue with my set up. 5 amp stater charge.
If you are running numerous accessories all day then you might need a dedicated deep cycle house battery.

Dual purpose batteries are just that.
Starting your outboard and powering your accessories using deep cycle technology. I never had a issue with my set up. 5 amp stater charge.
If you are running numerous accessories all day then you might need a dedicated deep cycle house battery.
It is the charge rate...most outboards recharge at a low rate and deep cycle batteries need recharged asap after use which an outboard can't do unless you have a loooong ride back. Just keeping a partial charge, drain and partial charge is not healthy for a deep cycle. Most all battery mfgrs recomend to discharge to a certain rate then fully recharge for best life.

I'll stick with a group 31 wet cell LA starting battery. Interstate 31-XHD and Die Hard heavy duty farm battery have high CCA. Either should last for several hours with what I'm running.

Interstate

Farm Batt
CCA and AHM ratings are two different things. CCA if for high amp draws for starting an engine where AHM is a smaller amp draw over a long period of time. I am sure someone with far more electrical expertise can explain it much better, but CCA has nothing to do with a long slow draw from a battery. However...if it works for you....