10' SeaMaid Flat Bottom Mod (Updated 7/18/10 - Finished)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flatboat said:
that realy turned out real nice. i might rethink the seats being up that high. the lower you are the more stable . those are nice little boats . i have a 12 x48 ,there ain't nobody gettin in there but me. that thing is just toooo unstable unless i'm right in the middle,but ...it will do 40 plus mph . hummm they must be like bikes the faster you go the more stable . well anyway , wear your life jacket and have fun !

Thanks :) I usually go fishing on calmer water with this boat if out on "big" water. Mostly use it in ponds or small lakes. The seat height isn't too bad, but would be better lowered another inch or so. Just need to communicate with the other person in the boat not to move around too fast! I just have a 2.5 horse outboard, so no hitting 40mph for this guy!! It would me nice to have a bigger boat though. I think the 1248 is a good size.... the width would be alot better than what my boat is for sure =P~

Jason and Linnie said:
My wife and I just bought a little 10 foot jon boat just like the one that you started with here. I told her that we were going to build (mod) a boat, and she wasn't sure what we could do with such a small craft, but your project is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! No there isn't TOO much you can do with a 10ft boat, but it is more comfortable. I would suggest having seats lower than what I have. The key is to keep everything LOW with this size of boat. Hope to see your project soon :D

Wow, a lot has happened since I did this project and posted! First, this job boat is no more. It was wiped out by a tree during a bad storm about three years ago :cry: I ended up getting another 10 footer but have yet to use it. I my modify it, but want at least a 12 ft. this time, so I have been looking. With the next mod, I may use aluminum framing from an old extension ladder that I have. Maybe some side storage lockers of some sort. I would really like a bow mount trolling motor also.
One thing is for sure, I will only have one pedestal seat and it will sit further back on the front deck. The rear seat will be mounted without a pedestal. Everything else may end up being similar as what I did before (i.e. transducer mount, cooler as a live well, etc.) Depending on the funding, I would like something like a Lowe 1240L. Who knows, maybe the next Obiden stimulus check will get me one! :lol: