14 foot Klamath -

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmherndon777

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Klamath I am working on and have borrowed many grand ideas from here. I am trying to break it down into manageable parts, as I am somewhat mechanically challenged but like working on things...just have to accept it usually cost twice as much ...one to fix what I screw up and then again to fix the original problem. And I need to get it "functional" so I can start using it in smaller lakes and reservoirs in Nevada and southern Utah. Most are small enough can get by with oars or a trolling motor.

With that said, I am trying to completely restore and customize the boat.
I want to make a small "deck" from the bow to the first seat.
I am having a heck of a time creating a template to cut the platform.
Then trying to design a means of support without drilling/rivetting anything to the hull. (Previous owner already drilled through the hull in several places and not sure yet how I am going to address that...maybe rivet flat aluminum peice on both sides with 5200 between?)
Then I got my hands on some aluminum and am trying to decide if I should use that instead of wood?
If I do....does anyone have any good ideas on how to make hatch covers to access the void below? (Not to mention, cutting, supporting and working with the aluminum....but can overcome that.)

I want to level the deck but have some of the same issues.
I have aluminum I could use, but not sure how to support it across the beam of the boat and get it level.
3/4 inch plywood is strong enough to span the distance and not flex but heavier. Will wrap in either vinyl or carpet (depends on finances when I get to this stage.)

Things I have accomplished so far:
Boat was in rough shape, took it down to bare metal after fighting with paint stripper (nasty stuff), scrappers, sand paper and a nylon wheel on my drill.
Removed all seat tops and replaced the wood in them.
I then coated the bottom and the transom with Al's Bedliner (I applied myself to save $$). I did the exterior and the interior.
Will prime and paint the boat this week or next depending on the wind/weather. Exterior will be green from Parker paints, I am going to have it lightened closer to an "olive drab" to camo paint. The interior is going to be a flat grey also from Parker. I live out west, and wanted something to reduce the shine and the heat of the aluminum. Also will "camo" up the interior. Going to let my kids see what they can do.

Things to do list:
Wanted to create some storage in middle seat (Factory said this would be okay b/c one of the models has a pass through seat and the flotation in this area is "additional" to fill the seat space.) I will also add more flotation under the floors when I decide how I am going to do that (thanks Tinboats.net for the idea).
Not sure if I will place a battery in this area or use it for other items. Going to have 2 batteries..one for TM and one for other electronics/lights etc.
Create a rear deck/seating area and incorporate some storage areas for small tools/binoculars..etc. Not going to use it as a casting deck, just thought making it all one peice would help structurally.
Seating
Rear and middle seat on a SliderG5
Currently treating plywood with marine varnish and will then wrap in marine carpet.
Raised seat on small front platform (maybe if I ever get a bow mount trolling motor)

Bimini top
Duck Blind - portable/removable

Electronically
Blue Sea or similar switch panel(s) and fuse panel
TM on seperate battery - run wire/plugs to bow and transom with appropriate circuit breaker close to battery.
May place battery in front of bow seat that will be decked over.
Red LED lights under seat edges for night use.
White LED lights for visibility and working on deck.
LED navigation lights
12V power plug in (2 of them) on in rear seat and one on bow seat accessible from middle seat.
Bilge pump
Fishfinder/GPS - (some day)
Small Stereo w/ mp3 capability (some day)
2 or 3 bank battery charger (some day)
Ultimately looking for a 15 - 20 hp 4 stroke (Boat rated for 25 hp...but sure this was before the heavier 4 strokes)

Trailer I am piecinig together from a jet ski trailer and the frame of a regular trailer.
Trailer is stripped down, sanded and ready to be painted to match the boat (green)
Need to rewire and install all lights
Need to purchase or manufacture a winch post/bow stop assembly and attach to trailer
Need to purchase bunk brackets and all hardware to mount new bunks and keel roller...etc.
Need to purchase tongue wheel/support leg
Need to attach trailer chains
Need to purchase new springs, brackets for mounting and attaching axle

I am sure I am missing some things. I will add pictures and updates to progress when I can get them. (an odd story for future discussion...boat stored at ex-wifes house b/c her current husband has all the tools and invited me to do the work there and "take all the time you need"!)

Welcome to tinboats, we're glad you are here. Klamath make a nice boat so I am sure you will be pleased with the results of your efforts. As a suggestion, you might spend more than a little time perusing the mods section for ideas. A lot of the items you list have been done several times and that can save you time and money when you get into your mods. This includes mods to 14 foot Klamaths. And don't forget the search function. Have fun and be sure to post lots of pics as you move ahead. Rick

Have "borrowed" many ideas from here that I want to incorporate or modify for my purposes.

My biggest problem so far has been trying to "organize" my choas and work on one thing at a time. Trying to "plan" my build to match my finances and my "ability" has been the biggest hurdle.

For example, I have finally come up with what I think is a workable process for my electircal work. I scoured this site to learn the things I needed to learn since I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into. However, with this site, and the descriptions provided by many on here, I think I have a rudimentary understanding of the "HOW" to wire my boat for the various things I want. Now it is a matter of the $$ and the time.

My homeowners association gets all worked up if I leave the boat in the driveway more than a day so I work on it a few days...make them send hate mail and then make it "disappear" for a little while.

Right now I just want to get it sea-worthy b/c the weather is perfect. So, just working on getting seats back on, navigation lights etc. The rest I will work on as I have time and can afford it.

But will continue to visit this site for other ideas and providing input where I think I have something to offer.