15ft sea nymph mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrgeek

Reaction score
I got this boat from another member near me back in December .. too cold to mess with back then .. then shortly there after got assigned to a project that put me on the road till yesterday May 9, Ive been rolling around what I wanted to do with the boat since I got it .. originally had casting desk front .. and back. the back desk had already been modified when I got it .. and he had removed the steering console, and converted the old 74 Johnson 40hp to stick steer.. with no kill switch .. ehh didn't like that idea.

I found a 1989 28hp long shaft remote steer for 300 .. put it on and sold the 74 for 125 .. any way .. the front casting deck was thrown together .. and I wanted to put the steering console back on.. but didn't like the have steering console so close to motor .. I'm a big guy .. and usually fish alone.. I once had a front stick steer fiberglass john .. liked the front steering concept .. didn't have to move around as much .. less likely to go swimming the hard way, and even more so in the river below turbines on the TN River.

Since the front deck not screwed down .. I lifted up and there was a aluminum storage box under the deck.. put there by sea nymph.. but again not riveted down.. after pulling off both . I moved the steering console to the front .. and since the cables that came with the 28hp where from a boat longer than mine .. and had bout a steering cable way to long from ebay for 60 bucks .. so it all worked out for where I wanted the steering console.. I wanted to just do a center console prior to removing deck .. then after trying it out it all fell into place.. now Im trying to decide what to do with the floor now.. want aluminum .. but cost factors and the fact wood is easier to work with .. prob will go wood.. of course sealed with epoxy resin.. and a few layers of fiberglass cloth on each side.. for strength and water proofing.. but found a cracked rib after removing it all ... may have that welded and the bracing bar to keep from breaking at weld again.. have attached some before and current pics.. and suggestions on the floor helpful .. any other ideas that may work ok as well

WHen he got it ...

They Way I received it

Front desk removed and steering moved forward

New Engine

in case you have interest, 1/8 inch structural aluminum diamond plate is available. It doesn't weigh much is water and weather proof, and only requires rivets for fasteners. I used an entire 5ft X 10ft sheet to build an interior for my 1974 mirrocraft, and reinforced it underneath with aluminum angle iron. It cuts easily with a carbide blade or special jigsaw blades. It is easy to work with, but that one sheet cost 800 bucks including shipping.If you needed less, maybe you could get some at a metal recycler? I weigh 220 and my floor doesn't even flex when I walk on it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352426#p352426 said:
ljw34 » 15 May 2014, 20:08[/url]"]in case you have interest, 1/8 inch structural aluminum diamond plate is available. It doesn't weigh much is water and weather proof, and only requires rivets for fasteners. I used an entire 5ft X 10ft sheet to build an interior for my 1974 mirrocraft, and reinforced it underneath with aluminum angle iron. It cuts easily with a carbide blade or special jigsaw blades. It is easy to work with, but that one sheet cost 800 bucks including shipping.If you needed less, maybe you could get some at a metal recycler? I weigh 220 and my floor doesn't even flex when I walk on it.

I found a cheap solution just this evening ... old road sign that construction company down the street was about to toss 48x48 lil bit of cutting to size and foam under it good to go .. I have a few more teaks in mind.. will post pics of course as I go .. I looked price of a sheet .. way more than I was willing or able to spend... I only paid 1200 or so for the boat even with the new motor.. the fish finder I have cost about 800 lol .. but I didn't pay any where near that... 250 at pawn shop Lowrance Elite-7 HDI .. I never pay retail lol or even close

Progress .. using the 4x4 aluminum sign, for the floor. Foam to add more flotation under the floor, found a source locally for seconds alum sheet 6x5 slick sheet lil less than 1/4 thick for $105.. but still out of my budget .. gotta keep wife at bay lol. so I will continue the original sign floor.. bought 1x1x1/4 and 2x2x1/4 angle for frame work.. 50 bucks for 3 pieces 8ft long .. was think two part foam to pour in the fill the gap between the floor and floor joists .. but stuff sold locally at fiberglass supply is not structural foam 2lb density .. and it tends to hold water over time...added weight.

I was driving down the street and saw appliance store with foam from frig box.. that stuff is very rigid.. and dosnt absorb water.. so light came on.. use that under the alum sheet to fill the gaps and free! Free is always better .. if it solves a problem effectively. have to get some stainless machine screws to bolt to ribs.. would rather weld it all together .. but paying a welder to do it would cost a bunch.. and since I don't have the skills to weld alum .. bolts will have to work.

The new steering box made from pressure treated 3/4 inch ply.. its still in progress as well .. have to obviously close sides in .. will be upholstering the box with marine grade vinyl, adding a lil padding as well.. after floor complete.. carpet the floor.

The picture with the angle laying in it also has a 1/4 slick aluminum plate that I will use to mount the seat pedestal .. to give it extra strength and stability, then the alum sheet over the whole thing screwing it to frame and ribs

Steering console upholstered
Looks green in these pics lol .. grey around middle, buckskin color sides and white piping .. got bargain on the marine vinyl .. fabric store end of role 12 bucks for 4 yards, piping ebay 6.00

Well almost done with this project .. about 80% done.. still have to change out the blue carpet on the bow, and re-worked the aluminum floor the last owner put it in the back. gotta carpet that to match the tan.. and carpet the sides, then my last piece of the pie .. is to make a aluminum back casting deck and lids to cover the batteries and gas tank.. but that will prob be put off till fall.
and last but not least mount my lowrance hd7 elite
Will post the final product picture after every thing but back deck is done..

Here is pic from today, before I bolted shifter on

Latest posts