1950 lone star renovation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifter0069

Reaction score
I picked up a 1950 lonestar 14' v hull not too long ago. wasnt happy with the setup, so i decided to rework the entire thing. i am still in process, but should be done soon. All structural framing of the floors is done with rectangular aluminum tubing. decking will be with aluminum sheeting. floor will be coated with truck bedliner and painted OD green. Here are a few before pics with some "bubba'd" rod holders.

here is the plan i came up with for the compartments.

here is where i am at so far. got all the structure welded in place. Now ready to start laying the aluminum floor and build the live well. building that out of 3/4" plexiglass i have laying around.

The welds arent pretty lol, but they are strong. (first experience welding aluminum)
Thats where im at so far. hope to post more as i progress.

Man I wish I could weld. Looking good. What size tubing is that? How did you bend it around the sides like that? You must be planning on fairly thick sheeting to span some of those areas and stand on it.

The tubing is 1 1/4" x 1". The large spans are going to be doors with supports welded to the underside. The sheeting is going to be 1/8" thick. I bent the side pieces with my hands, a vice and some luck lol.

Yes, 1/16. I have drop supports down to the floor. It is very sturdy. I was able to walk across the supports without any flex at all.

I'm with you, I can't see using thick wall tubing unless you have it lying around or free. I am using 1/32 wall tubing on my mine, I figure the way I'm laying it out should will work fine; especially after the floor is down.

That's what I figured too all my materials were free. Leftovers at work they were going to throw away. The boat was given to me. So, for a contribution of my labor, I will hopefully have an awesome boat. Supposed to be picking up a 40hp Johnson tiller controlled short shaft this weekend. Can't wait.

Is it rated for a 40hp? If not you may not like the way it handles. In the photos it looks like a 40 might be a bit much.

According to some of the worksheets I have looked at, I'm thinking its rated for a 33-35hp, if my figures are correct. Hopefully 40hp isn't too much.

Ok, my figures were off. With correct measurements this time, says my boat is rated for 25 hp. What could happen if I put a 40hp on it? If I don't use full throttle, will it work safely?

Sorry I haven't been updating this. With working on the boat, work and kids, I haven't had a lot of net time. I fabricated the electrical control panel. Switches for nav lights, deck lights, bilge pump, and live well pump. Installed a cigg lighter. Installed my depth finder/fish finder. All wiring is completed. Soldered and heat shrinked. All my aluminum fab work is completed. The welds aren't pretty, but will be covered in carpet lol. I have 6 compartments, all lined inside with 2" thick closed cell foam for sound deadening/floatation. 106 square feet of foam total. Still have to fabricate the live well. It is going to be 22"x28"x11" deep. Roughly that size. Figured it up to be 30 gallons of water. That's about 250lbs of water towards the front of the boat. This is to tame the effect of the 40hp motor on a 14' aluminum boat. Carpet is tomorrow. Hope to have pics in a few days.

Still have to nip-tuck the carpet, instal the doors and test drive. Then build the 30 gallon live well. Almost done.

Hey~!
Your Commander is looking great! I'm excited to see the finished project. I also have a Commander (1950) but since I work in the oilfield I haven't even had it on the water as much as I'd like - let alone had time to work on the mod. I'd have to look through my files but I found original documentation that lists it as a 33 hp hull but if I remember correctly I figured the hp for this boat at 49... Either way I'd love to read a report about how it performs with a 40 horse. I have three boys and a wife so when we all go out to swim or fish my 9.5 Johnson leaves alot to be desired. If you get a chance please post more pics! Especially your electrical and aluminum framing. I have a very similar plan for mine except that my batteries will be up front until I someday fab a livewell. Great work Capt. ~ Keep up the good work!!!

What is the weight capacity that i can put on this boat not person . i have one put dont have to much info about it all i no is 1951 lone star commander and what size motor thanks :?: :?: :?:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338071#p338071 said:
panther » 06 Jan 2014, 13:08[/url]"]What is the weight capacity for this boat. i have one put dont have to much info about it all i no is 1951 lone star commander and what size motor thanks :?: :?: :?:

https://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/3/39/Lonestarb55004.jpg

I worked on a boat just like that. It was only rated for a 30hp. I had a 30 Yamaha and he had a 40 hp Yamaha. We ended up swapping motors and we both got what we needed. I like the layout, I would be a little concerned with the weight of all components and how high you will be above the rub rail. I will be watching this mod, to see how it goes.