1950s 1433 "Buddy Boat"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacsdad

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 1950s 1433 "Buddy Boat" from my father that once belonged to my grandfather. To power it he gave me his 1970 Merc 110 (9.8hp ). I also have the option of trying out a 1950s 3.5hp Sea-Horse that is in the family as well. To get all of this around I purchased a small, used boat trailer from one of my scouting friends for next to nothing.

I first started work on the trailer. It did not come with any bunks, tow chains, a winch post, or lights, and it is missing one of its fenders. After looking at several trailers as examples, I decided to put 4 bunks on it directly underneath the boat, in between the bottom ridges that run the length of the boat. The hardware store where I bought the lumber and bolts gave me the carpet for free. My father in law gave me a light kit when he heard I was fixin up a fishing rig (hint hint). It went on easily. A friend had just gotten a new trailer and was parting his out and offered his winch post for free. It bolted right on along with the new winch I bought at Walmart for $25. Lastly I got a pack of four winch straps to strap the boat down. In the future I'm going to 1. replace both the tires; 2. install a trailer stand; 3. spray bomb the whole thing with black rustoleum; and 4. buy two new fenders for it.

So far the only thing I've done to the boat is attached a small chain from the plug to one of the transom support mounts. If I lose that plug I am up the creek. It's a screw in!

My other plans for the boat include:
1. It needs to have all of the paint on the outside removed (looks like it was brushed on) and repainted. I'll repaint it with Rustoleum etching primer from Home Depot and possibly olive drab tractor paint with hardener added from a local store.
2. Wire it up for nav lights, front headlights (I have talked to the local fish and wildlife guys and they gave me their blessing, so save your speech about how they are illegal), Homemade cooler livewell, interior lighting (led rope), and a bow mount trolling motor (I will spend more money here than probably anything else).
3. Install a floor on the ribs- no decks because its too narrow. I'm thinking about using sheet aluminum from a local dealer, if they can offer me a good deal. If I do
use aluminum floors, I'm going to paint the interior with a tan or olive drab truck bed liner.
4. Install some kind of seating.
5. Rod holders.

As far as the motor goes, it needs some work. I went and got it this weekend and on the way home purchased a new fuel line, connectors, and a 6 gal tank. At home I mounted it on the boat and took the cover off and was immediately disheartened. All of the wiring, except for the plug wires, were ruined. The plastic insulation has dry rotted off and the wires that are exposed have oxidized beyond use. On a good note, under the cowl, except for the wires, everything else is surprisingly shiny and clean. I have addressed this in the motors section of Tinboats.net and crazymanme2 said that the wires could be easily replaced. He would also drain and refill the lower unit, and put a small amount of oil in the cylinders. That will have to wait for a couple of weeks. I can always stick to ponds with a small stern mount trolling motor my buddy will let me borrow.

This same guy, who is my only fishing partner, is buying a new Tracker Pro 165 tomorrow. Is my project in vain?

Hey guys, send me some ideas about what I should do to this boat and especially the wiring on the motor...more to come. Especially pics when I can figure it out.

Attachments

• IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,802
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,802
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,802
  • IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,802
I was looking at your pictures and noticed the one with the bottle opener. I also have a '50's era DeSoto that was my Dad's and has been in the family since new. It's a 12 foot.
It also has a cast iron Pepsi Cola bottle opener. I always thought this was something my father added, but maybe it was original issue. Or an optional upgrade! Good luck with your build, and will be looking on with interest.

Also, on my 12', I replaced the transom last summer and stopped there before buying a wider, 14' tracker. A wire wheel on a drimmel and some WD40 did a great job of cleaning the rust off of that bottle opener.

I also have a '50's era DeSoto that was my Dad's

Hey, that's awesome! Did it have the logo on the side like mine? My other grandfather also had a 1433 "Buddy Boat" as well. It now belongs to my cousin who is a little younger than me. I should invite him to join this site!

I think that I'm going to have to buy a few manuals for the Merc 110. I looked them up and found several for a reasonable fee. I do have a friend who claims that he knows a little about outboards..although I had to show him how to take the top off of the thing!

[/quote] Did it have the logo on the side like mine? [/quote]

Barely, but yes. Last summer I was washing mud off of the boat and my son said "wow! I didn't know it was green!" 60 odd years will really fade a paint job.

[/quote] I think that I'm going to have to buy a few manuals for the Merc 110. I looked them up and found several for a reasonable fee. [/quote]

Take a look here:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14047&hilit=Manuals

Earlo, I just want to say that you KICK *** for showing me that link! I found exactly what I was looking for and more... Thank you for making my day.

Blacsdad said:
Earlo, I just want to say that you KICK *** for showing me that link! I found exactly what I was looking for and more... Thank you for making my day.

Your welcome, although the credit should go to the original poster, cajuncook1.
It's amazing what you can find on this forum if you dig around long enough. Good luck with your Buddy Boat build. Spring is upon us, so get with it!

Latest posts