1957 Lone Star Commander restoration/mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I've heard of that method too and while I don't have any holes (and hopefully never will) [-o< - I wonder if one could grind down the bolt to avoid it snagging and causing damage. Though I've never used the 5200 - maybe that's not a concern?

Well here it is! Its about 95% done, just a few odds and ends left to complete the build.

Got the support rails finished and ran two electrical circuits to the front.

Got the foam in and the floor board ready to mount.

Floor installed along with the middle seat! Its starting to come together!

Rear seat and seat mounts installed!

Front seat and electrical control panel wired and installed. It controls the front and rear nav lights, bilge pump, and has one aux circuit that is not used at the moment.

Bilge Pump installed. 800 gph should work fine!

Now, like I said just a few more items. I have new trailer lights to install and I need to get a winch strap. I am also thinking about building a storage box/rod locker along the port side, she definitely needs a little storage capacity. I have the new impeller and water pump rebuild kit, and once that is installed the engine should be good to go. Looks like I just might get her out on the water this year after all!

Thanks Kismet! I went through a few design ideas but opted for the lower, more stable configuration for seats and floor, especially on the front. I would have liked a casting deck but I just think it would have been too high and unstable in this little 14 footer.

Thanks! As for the old seats, they were so rotted and ripped they literally fell apart when I removed them from the boat :( If that were not the case, I'd be happy to hook you up!

Finally got all the pictures to load! Great Work.

Questions: will that center seat let you row should (heavens forbid) the motor crap out on you? And where are the oars? Might put hangers/hooks along sides of hull for storing them. (no, I don't trust engines. :) )

Is the post of the center seat up far enough from the hull to avoid chafing it?

You have some floatation to replace what you removed by making that neat compartment in the front seat, or are you figuring in the insulation board you put under the deck?

Oh, and with the ...er...what is it? 110lb 25 hp engine?...and you in back, you have some idea of weight forward to balance the hull? Can you run an extended gas line under the deck and have it come out up front to hook to your tank? Would that be too much suction to ask of the engine? I don't know...just asking.

And...purely because I'm odd, needs some whimsical icon decal...maybe Mr. Natural, by R Crumb, on the bow of the craft.

I'm enjoying your build.

Thanks again Kismet! Now as for the questions, all good ones by the way, and stuff that I hope I've gotten right, lol. I am still planning on putting a storage locker on the port side that will accommodate oars, life jackets, maybe a rod or two and the other stuff that needs to be on board. Barring that, I think hangers on the side may be the way to go.

Now as for the center seat allowing rowing, it comes out by simply unscrewing the pedestal, it would be a bit uncomfortable but I think I could manage it from there, it is something I'll have to try out when I get her on the water the first time. Now for the center post, there is ample clearance, I managed to achieve about a 4 inch stand off. The aluminum channel rails used for the structure have 2x3's mounted in the channel that actually added about a 1/2 inch of clearance over what was already there. The thickness of the floor board is 19/32 so that added a bit more clearance as well so I think it will be fine. It was something I was worried about too, that seat post looked awful long when I installed it.

On the weight/balance issue, I am still a little concerned about it, but I think it is going to work out fine. I plan to install two deep cycle batteries inside the front seat cavity and at about 40 pounds each, and that far forward from the CG, it should provide a good offset to the motor, 6 gal fuel tank and me. I am also going to mount a small trolling motor on the bow that will add about 15 more pounds and since it is so far forward, it will have a greater effect on moving the CG back closer to center of the boat. I did some basic calculations and the CG should be about the 9 foot mark on the boat or about 2 ft aft of center. I hope reality and theory coincide! :LOL2:

On the flotation issue, again, I am somewhat concerned with this, the foam panels under the floor will help some but I don't think they are going to be quite enough even with figuring in the limited buoyancy of the wood used in the build. As such, I am going to try and add more where I can. There is still a bit of room under the front seat/battery box and inside the rear seat. The air chamber was already compromised before I installed the seats and mounts in the rear so that whole chamber is empty. I am going to see how much foam I can put in there to add more flotation. At present I think there is enough to provide minimal buoyancy but I'll be a lot more comfortable once I can add a bit more.

As for "bow art" - Mr. Natural would be funny but I think I'm leaning towards the "Shark mouth" like they painted on the old P40 Warhawk fighter aircraft in WWII. I think that would be rather humorous on such a little boat!

I do appreciate the comments, gives me stuff to think about. This is my first complex build and there was a lot of trial and error involved. These forums have been invaluable, especially getting the opportunity to look at a lot of other builds for ideas and solutions. I just hope that posting my build gives a little back to the community, plus I have to admit, I like showing it off a little bit since it was my first real build :)

Awww man :( I was planning on going with the same color *and* the Shark-mouth decals for bow art on my 1950 Commander... now I'm gonna look like a copy cat.... good job on those channels btw and the whole build is looking great!

Ive been to busy fishing this summer to work on mine.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 3,693
Has removing the center bench seat affected the structure of the side walls ?

Stewart

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329540#p329540 said:
WestTexas » 16 Sep 2013, 23:59[/url]"]Awww man :( I was planning on going with the same color *and* the Shark-mouth decals for bow art on my 1950 Commander... now I'm gonna look like a copy cat.... good job on those channels btw and the whole build is looking great!

Thanks! And there is always room for a couple of P40 looking Lone Stars, heck we might start a new trend, lol

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329900#p329900 said:
Stewart » 20 Sep 2013, 08:34[/url]"]Has removing the center bench seat affected the structure of the side walls ?

Stewart

So far no, the sides seem fairly rigid. I haven't really had her out on the water since the build but moving the boat around and working on it, there doesn't seem to be any undue flex. Some of the structure I put in also helps with the rigidity. The cross braces are attached where the old seat was although low to the floor. Also the deck structure itself is pretty tight against the sides adding some support there as well. As soon as I am able to get her on the water and see how she does I will post some more info. Thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329854#p329854 said:
Stewart » 19 Sep 2013, 19:31[/url]"]Ive been to busy fishing this summer to work on mine.

Sure rub it in! :lol: Wish I could say the same! Building the boat was fun but I would have liked to get more fishing time in too!

"Thanks! And there is always room for a couple of P40 looking Lone Stars, heck we might start a new trend, lol"

Heck Yes! Maybe we could team up with Henry Hefner here in Texas and start a club! :LOL2: If you haven't seen his 'Minnow Bucket' then check it out - it's a nice mod as well.

Those look great! Sorry I've been off the grid for a little while. Starting to get the itch to get out on the water, just need the weather to cooperate, as in hoping spring and summer would hurry up and get here!

Latest posts