1963 14' polar kraft jon boat trying to convert to bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
new to tinboats but herd hands down this is the best place to go.
anyway I just bought a 1963 polar kraft 14foot jon boat and need to convert it to the best bass boat that i can. I have a few ideas but not sure were to start ill post some pics in the morning but i guess my first question is.
" I'm a bigger guy and thinking about building the deck and everything out of ply wood and 2x4 just wondering if that is going to be to much wait and should i instead take my time and build it out of angle? i am on a little budget saying about 500 dollars so with all of that said what do you guys think".

welcome to the forums. it's a judgement call you have to make. I used 2 x 3 's on my boat and they are holding up rock solid with a 3/4" plywood for surfacing, and 1/2 " plywood for vertical ...

2 x 3's are real light, just be sure to tie everything together with good deck screws (they'll never come undone) and bracing in strategic spots. For critical joints run a bolt through and tighten up with a nut, it'll never come undone...

im not sure what all the $500 budget entails... as far as accessories go so i cant say that aluminum would be a good choice without knowing what else you have in mind. i also did most of my build with 2x3"s i weight 250+ :cry: and my boat is rock solid with me and a guest or 2. though i wouldnt recommend a very High deck for a big guy unless your boat is WIDE or you have good balance.. i personally dont like fishing off a high deck.

my build has a Large lower deck that is pretty low in the boat which i love. and a front deck where my trolling motor is gonna be mounted thats also used as storage and battery compartment.. its pretty stable and i have a buddy who fishes up front all the time. hes even done some dancing up there, havent tipped the boat yet :lol:

i recommend planning before making any cuts. and if possible make templates from cardboard or something. nothing more depressing than ruining an expensive sheet of plywood... trust me

heres a picture of how mine is setup.. this is the only picture with a good angle that shows the space of the lower deck

it measures out around 45" x 67 1/2" and it is Removeable

2012-05-22_16-55-08_773.jpg

and finished with a removeable seat for a guest

2012-06-04_19-02-24_52.jpg

thanks guys that helps a lot i think ill start with the wood and in the future if needed can have a bigger budget and go with aluminum. but looking to get a pretty high deck for most of the boat and if possible have a storage locker for my tackle and one for my rain gear and maybe a rod locker if possible #-o and have a landing area were ill have my cooler/livewell and make a little landing in back for a co-angler and just put two pedestal boat seats on there so we can sit down and drive from spot to spot. ill post pictures of the start project today

heres the pics of the day after i picked it up

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,640
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    841.4 KB · Views: 1,640
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
illini bass assasin said:
what stripper do you guys use to strip the paint of the boat.

I see some use aircraft stripper, but a wire bursh in a drill works too.

illini bass assasin said:
is undercoating ok to put on the sides of the boat and what is a good sealant for the bottom of the boat

Fill the boat with water and patch any leaks, you shouldn't need to use a sealant.

Ok guys got to work on it yesterday and today heres some update pics. let me know what you guys think

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    1,001 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
Have you water tested this boat yet before starting work to check for leaks? Don't want to be a downer but that really should be done before you get carried away with your build. It will suck to have to tear everything back out to get to a cracked hull or leaking rivet.

Yea, when we cleaned it all up we leak checked it. There's two pin holes in it that we're gonna patch up its just -2 degrees out right now in Illinois so a little cold to patch it and start on the painting yet so we figured we would get the wood work done for now and get the live wells and all the wiring figured out first and give the weather a lil time to warm up a little bit. were gonna get everything mocked up then tear it back down get ether the holes patched or welded just depends on what we have at the time then paint the outside then undercoat the bottom of the inside and the top rails and put foam down then everything back in.

Latest posts