~1967 19’ Aluminum Crestliner Norseman mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fish for trout and kokanee mostly which are cold water fish. I am on my boat more in spring and fall than in the summer. The Jetcraft has a walk through windshield, top and side curtains. On colder days the sun comes through the windshield and the side curtains and acts like a solarium. It provides a lot of wind protection and is amazingly warm.

The only down side is that for trolling at low speeds the boat blows around more in the wind since the canvas acts like a sail. The fish don't care and still get caught with all of that extra movement.

"The only down side is that for trolling at low speeds the boat blows around more in the wind since the canvas acts like a sail. The fish don't care and still get caught with all of that extra movement."

Kind of exciting by yourself heading into a brisk breeze when you get a back-to-back, the boat is being blown around into a tight U-turn, one fish is flopping around tangling up the net, and you are trying to land a second fish.

What LDUBS said. My dog is my most dependable fishing partner.

You think this platform would be large enough for the front the boat? If I leave the consoles and make the windshield an open one, this bad boy would be a fishing machine. I'm debating on making it a completely flat front deck. I am liking the idea of moving the horn to the very front. I could just add a piece of trim and some support for a chair if I want one in the future. I bass fish all day without one and don’t need one currently, and if I’m walleye fishing I’m not sure I have a need to be on the bow.

This area NOT IN RED is 7’ wide and 4.5 feet from windshield to bow.

ba5f9d49bc9489a25e199c91df2f0a09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are on the right track. I would definitely try to retain the existing consoles and windows. You might consider raising the new front deck 9" to a foot or so above the existing floor. That would give you a little more room.

So, instead of the current bow deck you would have a walk-through window with a step up to a raised deck -- for fishing. Kind of like the concept in the pic below except you would have a wider gunnel up front, which I think is a good thing for structure as well as potential under gunnel storage. You might consider adding a coaming. This is a popular design these days. If you can pull it off I think it would look good and give your boat the functionality you are looking for.

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 9.11.15 PM.png

How many people are you trying to fish at once?
I think it would be a mistake to try to modernize this boat by removing the forward deck and building a casting platform.
What makes the boat special is the closed bow. Fishing boats were made this way for hundreds of years. In rough weather it is what you want.
You can take green water over the bow and keep it out of your boat.
If you really want a bass boat, sell this boat and buy one.

ppine said:
How many people are you trying to fish at once?
I think it would be a mistake to try to modernize this boat by removing the forward deck and building a casting platform.
What makes the boat special is the closed bow. Fishing boats were made this way for hundreds of years. In rough weather it is what you want.
You can take green water over the bow and keep it out of your boat.
If you really want a bass boat, sell this boat and buy one.

I agree. I however do not want a bass boat, I want a bass boat layout and I think I’m willing to settle on the multi-species style layout. I had an 86 Ranger and loved it, but I want something that is multi functional and fun to spend time with friends and family.

My plan now is not to cut out the bow after analyzing this process with you all, but most likely add marine plywood covered in carpet with trim around the outside on the bow to prevent stuff from falling off the boat when I’m on the front deck. Add a seat assembly if I want one, trolling motor with recessed pedal and a hatch or two.

That way everything stays the same, but it adds to the functionality of the boat.

Getting some work done this weekend! It’s been a while since I posted, but I’m moving on with life and it feels good. Spent an hour or so painting tonight, I look forward to doing it all day tomorrow.

f5f664556af5445952e1aa4543bbbe49.jpg

eb77abcf37a64489e6204b8803f30124.jpg

I have a 19 foot tin boat with an open bow and a walk through windshield.
It is handy to land the boat on a dock by stepping off the gunwale at the bow.
I use the area for a cooler for fish.
It is good for landing on a beach.
Otherwise I don't go up there much at all. Everything is operated from the stern when fising.
In rough weather spray comes over the rail, lands in the open bow and goes out the small scuppers.
If I take any green water, it will have a hard time exiting the boat before the next wave.
A closed bow and a windshield is much safer.

Glad to see you back. What you have is among my favorite boat styles.

Before you were thinking of some major modifications. Are you still thinking of opening the bow? I tend to agree with Ppine that it is pretty nice the way it is, especially with the hinged windshield and bow hatch. But of course, it needs to meet your needs not mine. Haha

New paint looks great. Hope to see more as things progress.

LDUBS said:
Glad to see you back. What you have is among my favorite boat styles.

Before you were thinking of some major modifications. Are you still thinking of opening the bow? I tend to agree with Ppine that it is pretty nice the way it is, especially with the hinged windshield and bow hatch. But of course, it needs to meet your needs not mine. Haha

New paint looks great. Hope to see more as things progress.

Thanks all. I am thinking of keeping it OEM. I’m going to do some more painting this afternoon and I will update with pics.

32348cc3677388b18235f4e3327c321a.jpg

Before:

fc57d2e2a75626ca8ecb74c1afb31c93.jpg

After one coat:

a89039f1e4c0a9a7588dc7c5571eea57.jpg

I’ve gotten two more coats of red on since these photos were taken. I have one more coat of white, then some black detail work to do. Looking forward to getting the painting done. I won’t be able to finish this entire project until the winter of 19/20. I have to move and remodel an existing place and get a small business launched in the next several months.

Anyone know how to remove the accessory holder from these boats? I whacked it with the dead blow hammer and the whole boat shook and the accessory holder/trim piece didn’t move. I think it may be glued in place but I didn’t look underneath it to see if it was bolted yet.

1e88bac33ee0b1c85502b4386c708a83.jpg

Good color choices. I like to paint boats.

Some people, like those over on the Northwest Aluminum Boat site think all painting should be done by professionals, or better yet professionally wrapped. Its a fishing boat.