1970 Gregor aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Gregor 1968-1970, model B-123, 12 foot x 60" aluminum boat with two bench seats. I recently emailed the manufacturer Gregor to get more information on the manufacture date, using the serial # and if there is any safety concerns with running a 1985 Johnson 15hp motor on it. The capacity plate attached to the boat states, 20HP motor, 4 person or 750lb capacity. The reply from customer service was "Your boat is over 50 years old. Does not meet USCG safety standards....no more than 2 adults...propulsion should be manual or fractional electric motor only." I asked for more specifics on why the difference versus the capacity plate but no reply. Do welds on Gregor boats 50 years old go bad? Is it possible to have a spontaneous rupture of old welds or do they just weaken over time and begin to leak? Is there anyway to verify the structural integrity of the welds/boat to run my Johnson 15hp on it? I have had it out 6 times in the last two weeks with out any leaks but maybe that doesn't mean it couldn't fall apart at full throttle hitting some choppy water. Should I keep it and get it re certified if possible? Get rid of it and suggest another boat for the Johnson 15hp for lake fishing? Thanks.

The mfg response is expected, as they could get sued if they said much else.

Just make sure you have adequate boat flotation, wear your PFD, bring a cell phone in a baggie, tell someone when you expect to get back.