1971 Montgomery Wards Sea King 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCFISH

Reaction score
This boat has been in my family for as long as I can remember. My grandpa says he thinks it's a 71 so that's what I'm goin with. I grew up as a kid fishing on this boat with him and I'm 28 now married and have a baby and we still fish on it regularly. So this year he pretty much gave it to me, so I made some small and simple "updates" to make us a little more comfortable out there. first I upgraded our motor from a 1965 evinrude 5hp to a 1964 evinrude 18hp. I installed a cheap and easy floor using poly insulation and floor mats from HD.( saw it in someone's post, don't remember who you were but thanks!) When I got the bigger motor I installed a back plate (i don't know if thats what its called but it sounds great) for the transsom as even the 5hp had dug in a little bit over the years. I traded my Ps3 for a hummingbird piranha 220max. Not the greatest but gets the job done. (and I probably hadn't turned on that PS3 in 2 years. I've already used the FF at least 10 times lol. Even the way I mounted my transducer I saw on this site. Someone had used PVC board, so I got some painted it black and it works great. Sealed it up when installing and she stays dry. I will say it was a little nerve-racking drilling those holes below the waterline, but like I said it stays dry. I fish almost every weekend at least once and this boat is great. The main lake I fish the water is way way down and this boat gets me where I want to go. So I was pretty much done doing things to this one for the time being when I found my new project. But I'll start another post for that one. So anyway here it is:

Attachments

• jonboat.jpg
    jonboat.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat2.jpg
    jonboat2.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat3.jpg
    jonboat3.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat4.jpg
    jonboat4.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat5.jpg
    jonboat5.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat7.jpg
    jonboat7.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat8.jpg
    jonboat8.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat9.jpg
    jonboat9.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat11.jpg
    jonboat11.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat12.jpg
    jonboat12.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat10.jpg
    jonboat10.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 2,706
  • jonboat6.jpg
    jonboat6.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 2,706
And before anyone points it out yes I know my seat mounts are upside down lol. I wanted just a little bit more height. I did the front one like that almost 3 years ago and it held up great so I recently just did the back one like that too

I just found these pics from a few summers ago. This was camping at Paradox lake in the Adirondacks. This is what the boat looked like then, and this is me...Hello.

Attachments

• 100_0377.jpg
    100_0377.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 2,638
  • 100_0378.jpg
    100_0378.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 2,638
Lol he's been in it just as recent as last weekend. Grandpa just hates having his picture taken. He likes it though and is very much pleased with the new rear seat as that's his spot. Just that 5 or 6 inches of lift did wonders for his back. I've been telling him for years to let me put one on there like the one in front but he's as stubborn as I am and kept saying no. Well after we went out a few weeks ago and his back was bothering him by 9am, I just went and did it. Now he say's he doesn't know why I didn't do it sooner...go figure.

Ok so my plan was to get started on the Starcraft...took apart the transom and thats where she sits. I somehow just got started doing one thing here, one thing there on my old john and all the sudden I was pretty much done with it ( well not done, done but close). Sorry for the lack of pics during the build on anything. No one would learn anything from me anyway lol. All the benches I enclosed other then the middle which is the livewell have 4 pool noodles stuffed into them as well as the foam under the floor. So not that I want to find out, but I don't think she'd ever sink.So here she is just about finished. I ordered some cargo nets to put accross the newly carpeted bench fronts/backs and that will probably be the last thing. Then get things ready for winter get my garage cleaned and get started on the Starcraft...my wife's going to love me!!!!

Attachments

• newpic10.jpg
    newpic10.jpg
    734.4 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic8.jpg
    newpic8.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic3.jpg
    newpic3.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic4.jpg
    newpic4.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic6.jpg
    newpic6.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic7.jpg
    newpic7.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic5.jpg
    newpic5.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic1.jpg
    newpic1.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 2,506
  • newpic2.jpg
    newpic2.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 2,506
For got the pic of the storage under front deck...It ain't much but its all stuff that would be out somewhere if no in there...the other side has some fishing gear etc.

Attachments

• newpic9.jpg
    newpic9.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 2,506
All in all I had a lot of fun (though fruststrating fun at times.) I learned a lot on this one things to do/not do on my Starcraft. And learned so much valuable info from snooping and then joining this site. Thanks to anyone I borrowed an idea from.

Had boat out today first time with new deck. I had normally just stood on the seats so I figured where I built it would be fine. I love it, it's stable and gets me in better fishing position and I can see a lot better. I love the whole boat. I can just step on the middle bench now instead of over it, which is why I built the FF box and moved the console thing to the rear. I'm happy to have something I worked on and put the late sweaty nights and some blood (twice) into to fish from while I work on the Starcraft. thanks for looking

Nice looking boat.
I don't know how I missed it before. I too have a 1971 1436 Wards Sea king jon. I've got a 1983 mariner 25hp motor on her.
Mine is set up for duck hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,467
  • IMG_5603.JPG
    IMG_5603.JPG
    903.9 KB · Views: 2,467
Nice man, looks good. I like the front deck. how'd you do it? I bet that thing flys with that 25 on it. My old 64 fastwin 18hp pushes mine really well, I can only imagine how your's is

The deck wasn't hard. It's were I have the 12 gallon fuel tank and comes in handy when getting a dog back in the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,458
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
  • IMG_5431.JPG
    IMG_5431.JPG
  • IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
  • IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,458
So my cargo nets came today, put them on. Also added another section to the piece in front of my deck. When I went out the other day I noticed my boot graze one of my hanging crankbaits. And since normally in the summer I have on flipflops or barefoot, wanted to fix that before it became an issue. Just a spare piece of wood wrapped in the absolute last piece of carpet I had, but it does the trick.

Attachments

• newpic11.jpg
    newpic11.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 2,418
  • newpic12.jpg
    newpic12.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 2,418
  • newpic13.jpg
    newpic13.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 2,418
  • newpic14.jpg
    newpic14.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 2,418
Come on no thoughts on my rig...almost 250 views and no love? I'd even take some dislikes lol

DCFISH said:
Come on no thoughts on my rig...almost 250 views and no love? I'd even take some dislikes lol

Well, I think it looks pretty cool. Very clean fishing rig. The front trolling motor mount looks pretty strong too. Also like the 18 hp Evinrude. I bet it makes her fly?

My rear seat mount is upside down as well. I agree that it does put the seat at a good height.

How did you install the rubber mat?

mjm76 said:
I like those cargo nets. Where'd you get those from?

Got the nets off of ebay. They are for a nissan maxima I believe.

Nobody said:
My rear seat mount is upside down as well. I agree that it does put the seat at a good height.

How did you install the rubber mat?

I cut pieces of poly foam to fit between ribs and then rubber cemented the mat to the foam and also over the ribs so it's attached to the foam and the boat.

jasper60103 said:
DCFISH said:

Well, I think it looks pretty cool. Very clean fishing rig. The front trolling motor mount looks pretty strong too. Also like the 18 hp Evinrude. I bet it makes her fly?

Thanks. Ya that 18 gets me around pretty well