1975 mercury 200 hard to pull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those the original design decals for that 76 model? Big difference between the 76 and 75 if they are. You did a great job on it.

This is a 1975 200 that I refurbished. I opted not to put new decals on it although I did install electric start which wasn't a factory available option for the 75.

63c4749e.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332880#p332880 said:
Country Dave » Today, 05:39[/url]"]It looks like it's in pretty good condition,

I love the look of those older Merc's Anyone know why they called it a 200?
It was just the naming convention of the time that Mercury adopted. They would take the HP rating and add a decimal to the end or move the decimal point one position. For instance the 7.5 hp motor was a 75 and a 50 hp was a 500. Where it got weird was things like the 40 hp was a 402.

The Bicentennial stripe package was for 76 only, but it did bleed over into 77 some. That motor belongs to a merc dealer in SC. I used to drool over it when I lived out there.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332890#p332890 said:
JMichael » 25 minutes ago[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332880#p332880 said:
Country Dave » Today, 05:39[/url]"]It looks like it's in pretty good condition,

I love the look of those older Merc's Anyone know why they called it a 200?
It was just the naming convention of the time that Mercury adopted. They would take the HP rating and add a decimal to the end or move the decimal point one position. For instance the 7.5 hp motor was a 75 and a 50 hp was a 500. Where it got weird was things like the 40 hp was a 402.

Hey thanks for the info JMichael,

Now I know........ :mrgreen:

JMichael said:
Are those the original design decals for that 76 model? Big difference between the 76 and 75 if they are. You did a great job on it.

This is a 1975 200 that I refurbished. I opted not to put new decals on it although I did install electric start which wasn't a factory available option for the 75.

63c4749e.jpg

I would live to put a electric start on. What's the ballpark cost on something like that and skill level?

It would be a bit problematic unless someone makes a conversion kit,

I believe almost anything can be done giving enough time and resources; however it would take some effort. First thing would be to see if the flywheel has starter teeth on it, if it didn’t come with electric start and it wasn’t an option it probably doesn’t. So then you would have to find a flywheel that does that would fit that application.

Then you would have to find a small enough starter to fit under the cowling and find the right location to mount it taking into consideration you’re probably going to have to drill and tap some holes for the mounting hardware. The starter circuit is simple so no biggie there.

The only other thing would be to find the same motor within a year or so that has electric start and swap everything over.
Maybe JMichael will chime in on this since he's already done one.

The Merc 200 was a 20hp motor. Sheesh Dave![/quote]

:lol: : Yea, not thinking I missed that too.
I was thinking that my 100 Merc. has a rope with it, why not a 200!
Never tried to start mine with that rope though!

For the most part, doing the electric start is pretty easy. If you don't have the correct flywheel, you can get that pretty cheap on ebay. The solenoid, starter button, and wiring can be acquired for a few dollars more. But unless you're extremely lucky, you'll probably need to change your drawers when you see what they're asking for a starter motor. I've only seen 1 for sale since I got mine going and the guy was asking $225 for it. He might have gotten more realistic with the price since then but I doubt it. What's strange about the whole situation is that the 74 and 76 both offered electric start but not the 75. Now having said that, all the bolt holes and studs for bolting the starter to the 75 motor are ready and waiting. And if you look at the parts breakdown for the 75 model, it show's an electric starter in the parts. But all the literature and parts manuals that I found to reference said the 75 couldn't be ordered with one. I will tell you that the 73 thru 77 models all use the same starter. So you might be able to score one via a parts motor if you could locate one.

Skill level for installing the elec start is basic. It's very simple to do once you have all the pieces but there are some tools that make it easier to accomplish some things but they're not a must have.

Hey thanks JM,

Did yours have a flywheel with starter teeth or did you have to find one? That’s huge that the starter mounting holes are all ready there whether they are studded or not. You could always just bolt it in if the block didn’t have the studs. The biggest part of that job if the block wasn’t predrilled would be getting the starter alignment right. It’s a little scary drilling in to the block.................................. :LOL2:

Yes Dave, mine had the correct flywheel on it when I acquired the motor. I don't know if it came from the factory that way or if the previous owner had installed it. The boat and motor came from an estate sale and I didn't get to ask the previous owner any questions regarding it's history. The previous owner had also acquired the starter motor. It was laying in the bottom of the boat when I got it. All I had to do was round up the remaining parts and then install it all.

Good luck with the electric start. I've fixed up two 20's from the era. Took all the electric start off both. Much cleaner easier to work on with out it. But would be neat to have.