1976 18x48 Ouachita Jon conversion, Pictures are back!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. Alot of customizing there. I would put the switches near the turn key on the side if I were you. If you put it on top and you get stuck in the rain it might create problems in the future. Just a little preventitive maintenace.

BLK fisher said:
Very nice. Alot of customizing there. I would put the switches near the turn key on the side if I were you. If you put it on top and you get stuck in the rain it might create problems in the future. Just a little preventitive maintenace.

Yep I pretty much decided to put them there for that very reason.

Well I didn't make huge gains tonight but I got all of my braces cut and positioned then pulled back out for their Thompson's bath tomorrow. Got some of my foam cut and in the floor which is more for sound deadening than anything. With any luck at all I'll be laying carpet by weeks end.

P6220162.jpg

P6220164.jpg

P6220165.jpg

moving right along and it looks good!

What are you going to use as flooring? I noticed you went flush with the front bench

I'm using 1/2 cabinet grade ply that I am going to give a liberal bath in Thompson's water sealer after while. There is actually a pic with it in place back up in the thread.

stinkynathan said:
Codeman said:
willfishforfood said:
Don't forget the safty chain, I've seen a few boats on the ramp and side of the road over the years.
Nice job.
WFFF

On the trailer? They are there.

I think he means the safety chain that keeps the boat on your trailer in case your winch strap should break.

Like this:

IMG01332.jpg

Codeman said:
I get ya now. Funny that is something you never see on a trailer around here.

Talk to these guys and they will tell you that they are a bit of cheap extra insurance:

https://www.crashedtoys.com/

If the straps fail in a sudden stop boats tend to come off and keep moving forward into the tow vehicle.

Went home at lunch and since it was nice and cool (if 100* is cool) I decided that I wanted to get my Thompson's on my braces so it could cure. Man I needed to change clothes after that.

I have a question for some of you guys. How long would you say that the Thompson's needs to cure on the plywood before laying down any carpet glue?

it will be ready to go in a couple of hours... I actually put carpet on my last decking project with it a little tacky and it helped the rubber backing stick a little more.... and I didn't use glue to put it on with, just stapled one side, pulled it tight and stapled the other side. then I laid it on the carpeted side with some cinder blocks on top. Don't know if it helped, but that's how I did mine and the carpet stayed tight

if its 100 deg your way (man that sucks) i'd tackle the carpet when you get off of work. with that kind of temps it shouldnt take long to cure

I was just wanting to make sure that it didn't need more than 48 hours or so to cure. I hope to get the frame work all screwed together tonight and have it ready for the carpeted deck by Thursday or so.

I got nothing done last night. My brother in law that is leaving for Iraq called and wanted to know if we wanted to have dinner. How was I going to say no. :USA1:

Cheeseball said:
Restoration is coming along great! Your aluminum work is schweet... why the switch to wood?

Plain and simple, budget. I want some decks and I can't afford to buy all of the aluminum material that I would need for them right now. Long term I can always tear it out and start over if I want to when money allows. The wood will weigh just a bit more too and I need some weight in the nose of this thing bad.

TrackerTom said:
Nice work and a nice boat. You should be proud. Tom

I am proud of it, from the trailer to what I have accomplished so far with the boat. I have saved a ton of money doing what I have done myself (with some help from Broncoman, credit where credit is due) I can't wait to just be able to use it and not work on it for a while. LOL

Well some things have gotten in my way this week. While I did make progress it wasn't drastic. My plan was to have the front deck and the floors in and carpeted for Friday nights fireworks on the lake/ weekend camping trip. I did not make it. I ruined some material rushing and it really made me hit a wall with this project. So I made a phone call to a very good friend of mine and asked if he was going to use his pontoon boat this weekend. Answer came back a day later that they had decided not to and that I was welcome to it. Problem solved. Now I can return to a sensible pace and finish my boat without cutting corners. So I am off to the lake tomorrow till Saturday night and then leave on vacation Monday. So see ya guys in couple of weeks when I get back to work.

I have the same exact boat and it is a tank......great to fish out of and customizes very well. I will be watching your progress and it looks like you are kickin tail so far. Keep us posted.

Finally another big project off the list! The front deck is done. I was very happy with the way it turned out so far. After getting this done now I can start to visualize how I want to go with the rest of it.

Sealed drilled and ready for carpet.

P7160002.jpg

All screwed down.

P7170006.jpg

P7170008.jpg

Hope to get it wet tomorrow at least for a little bit. Hasn't been out of the shop for at least a month.

P7170027.jpg