1976 Fisher Marine 15' flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11B3G

Reaction score
OK guys so I've been on here for the last month or so figuring thing out on my boat with the help of all of you..Last week I removed the flooring and found a nightmare...So, while I wait on my back ordered carb kit I'm gonna go ahead and overhaul the whole boat.. just tried to add pics and they are apparently too big...will try from my computer this evening.

So I made some measurements around the boat to come up with this plan... I have read that using PT lumber is a no-go from some and from others that its fine but to put a barrier on the aluminum... So.. last night and this morning, I put three coats of Rhino liner on the inside of the boat (the whole floor and support ribs as well as sides up to 6" above what the finished floor will be)...I will also be painting all of the wood with several coats of outdoor paint (OD green)..... I layed structural styrofoam between the support ribs...

Tuesday I will be laying my flooring down... As you look at the pic below, does anyone think that this is gonna be too much weight? I have looked around on here and it seems like others have done similar things...

The bottom part of the image shows where the 2"x4"s will be placed...

Guys, I am very new to this stuff so if you have a suggestion or comment feel free to post it. Thanks.

Attachments

• boat plan...scaled.png
    boat plan...scaled.png
    55 KB · Views: 2,671
Forgot to mention that I discovered a grid overlay available on Paint (Windows 7) I was able to scale the boat by assigning each grid a specific value... Pretty cool if you dont have a CAD program.

A few pics of the mess I found when I removed the old flooring......

Attachments

• 20120710_204104.jpg
    20120710_204104.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,657
  • 20120710_204205.jpg
    20120710_204205.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 2,657
11B3G said:
Forgot to mention that I discovered a grid overlay available on Paint (Windows 7) I was able to scale the boat by assigning each grid a specific value... Pretty cool if you dont have a CAD program.

You can't physically set each grid a value... I just decided that each box equalled say 3'' and kept it at that value through out the whole drawing.

Is there a certain type of Rhino Liner you used? Can you keep me posted as to how this works to seal any leaks?

It is the type you buy from Autozone... I have used it before on a few things like my 76 CJ and a few of my friends trucks.... I had only one little leak in the hull of the boat and I intend on flipping the boat over and fixing it from that side as well... as far as if it seals well, after it fully dried and hardened, I filled the boat with about 8 inches of water and ended up draining it through the bilge hole and pump.. It only took half the gallon for me to put 2 coats on the floor, so I taped off 6" above where my floor would finish out at and put 2 coats on everything below that, as well as a third on the bottom..... I took a nail to it this morning to see how well it had bonded to the aluminum and with a decent amount of force I was unable to put a scratch in it... With that said... I am thinking about buying another gallon and just doing the whole inside of the boat with it... I layed to coats of OD green out of a spray can and it held very well on the liner... For applying the liner, prep your hull the same way you would as if you were going to paint it... If you did want to paint it after it dried, I would say prep the surface of the liner similar to the way you prep any surface except for sanding or roughing it up.. mainly just wash it with a degreaser, wash that off with a mild soap and lots of water, let it dry and paint it...

Looks just like mine and yours even came with the same upgraded foam in the floor that simulates having a passenger along all the time. :lol: I couldn't believe how heavy the water logged foam was when I removed it from mine. Just stripping out all the foam gave my boat an 8mph increase on top speed. It looks like yours is missing the factory cover for the front deck hatch as well. I'm still undecided exactly how I'm going to fabricate a new cover for mine.

Are you going to leave the console and remote steer in yours? I removed the side console from mine to give me a more open floor plan. After having fished in it all spring, I'm glad I did that mod as the extra space really was nice.

I plan on keeping the console... i will be hitting a lot of rivers with this thing and like to stand up and look forward of the boat for logs and so on against the banks...I will however be cutting it down and reducing its signature by about 50%.....

I just finished my second coat of the spar varnish on my wood... I am replacing the old aluminum floor with wood.. I know its heavier but I wasn't interested in shelling out $250+ for the aluminum... I have a 76 Johnson 40HP on the back of it so I'm not so much concerned about not having enough motor... more or less I am worried about the boat weighing too much. I look at it like this though, I pulled out close if not more than 200lbs of that "upgraded" styrofoam you mentioned. The flooring doesnt weigh half of that.. If you use that tuff-coat over that spar varnish let me know how it adheres...I'm thinking I may use it as well...

As far as the front hatch, yes mine is gone.. I have a diamond plate cover that I'm using right now, there are 4 self tapping screws holding on little taps that I can rotate around to secure the hatch on it.... I'm coming up with a few ideas on how to make it look nice...maybe just a nice piece of aluminum with a hinge, then use that tuff coat on that whole deck...who knows..

I've been trying to knock multiple things out at the same time... not trying to get ahead of myself, just more or less prepare certain things (spar on the flooring) while the last bit of Rhino liner is drying..

Attachments

• 20120715_153651.jpg
    20120715_153651.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,575
  • 20120716_210438.jpg
    20120716_210438.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,575
Just throwing a few pics on here...one of me and one of my boys..I do have pics of all of us together... Just not on this laptop..

Attachments

• 522967_3210921038888_1442122107_48203521_47575662_n.jpg
    522967_3210921038888_1442122107_48203521_47575662_n.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,572
  • 20120410_191914.jpg
    20120410_191914.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,571
I have 2" styrofoam ... I am going to use that..... As far as the sides go... I was thinking about leaving them as they are right now..just roll on the bed liner and paint it.... I've insured the boat so as much as I want to keep it, if it does sink I will just recoup my money and start again.

Was just doing some shopping at Bass Pro yesterday, bumped into a guy tht does a lot of jon boat restorations...He buys this off of craigslist, restores them, and then sells them... He told me that he uses rhino liner instead of the spar varnish on the plywood flooring... said will hold up and as long as you wrap the whole thing with a few layers, it will be protected for water and not rot.....So, not happy with how long it took to seal the one side of my ply with the spar, I put my floor in yesterday with the spar side down and was going to spar the top side today until he told me that he used bed liner on his personal flat bottom 7 years ago and the floor is still solid... so I decided to use the bedliner..... I have ran two coats so far and they have dried... The first coat dried nice and hard, and my second is almost completely dried now... I will more than likely put one more coat on, allow it to dry and then put the carpet down (assuming the glue will bond to the liner... If not, I will be spraying it OD green and then lay some strategically placed mats over the top of it...

I hope this wasn't a mistake!!

Also, I was able to get ahold of some aluminum benching... 10"X2.5"X 15' long....snatched up 4 of those puppies... they are used for bleacher seating at stadiums.. very stong.. the 15' section weighs maybe 30lbs..... think I figured out what I will be using for my decking now...and no it is not a sold 2.5" on aluminum... looks similar to c-channel but has a reinforcements along the length of the of it... I asked the guy I got it from and he said it only needs supports every 8'...with that said I can run them the width of the boat without having to add support underneath it.

i used rattle can bed liner on my floor, 1/2 sanded ply. Its holding up very well and looks the same as when i installed it several months ago. Spar is probalby less $$ in the long run tho if you have the time to let it dry.

JaxJonBoat said:
i used rattle can bed liner on my floor, 1/2 sanded ply. Its holding up very well and looks the same as when i installed it several months ago. Spar is probalby less $$ in the long run tho if you have the time to let it dry.

Nice...what is the blue all over your boat?? paint?

Nice little project man, hope you get plenty of time to work on it! Also thank u for your service...

Latest posts