1978 Johnson 35 hp Lower Unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nccatfisher said:
DiveLiberty said:
@Rocs my biggest issue at this point is cost. I’ve read a few places that if the clutch dog is bad, chances are that the gears are as well. A new gear set is about $300. At that price I’ll be looking at new motors! I only paid $400 for this motor to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And many times you are correct. But you paid $400 for a motor with issues. I don't know about Mo. but around here you won't get a known good motor that size for $400. or no where near it. You would be looking at a couple thousand. Sometimes it is better to go ahead and fix what you have.

That's a great point, and I'm glad you brought it up. Even if I have to put another $400 into this thing, I'll have a running and working 35hp for $800. That's still a pretty good deal.

If it runs well, or I felt confident with the motor that is exactly how I would look at it. Buying a used one is always somewhat of a crap shoot even being as careful and as prudent as you can. If your top end is known good I would repair the LU and feel confident I had a good unit still considerably cheaper than normal market value.

Latest posts