1980 johnson 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that specific model.

How many different models did they make?

In any case you’re going to want the larger intake if you want to make power.

I searched the numbers in that same thread for months looking for mine and found a mixed bag of parts with that same casting number.

I’ll look and see what casting number is on it whenever I have time to dig it out.

Riverbean said:
Look up j25rcsa and j35rcsm or any other 25 or 35 from 1980 they both have intake part# 386792...has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to learn..i know excatly what i have and i know im right aboit the intakes...look em up....id say yours is not off an 1980 35 if the part # stamped on it does not match above number i showed...

Is this the post you are referring to from johnny25?

Johny25 said:
I can tell just by looking at the picture on ebay that....that is a 20-25hp intake, not the 30-35 you are looking for. And yes the 0391054 is the same thing as the 0396790. I am sure that the 0391054 is what I had on mine (sold boat and all last week). The 0396790 just replaced the 054 number. If you look at the pic of the back side of the intake compared to the pics on the first page of this thread that I posted you can see it is the smaller intake

If not can you link to johnnyrudes post on this?

Just to complicate things further, heres a guy referencing Johnnyrude in a thread he didnt yet post in as far as I can tell.

He gives a bit of insight into the PN you listed for your intake.

unclerick said:
I know that this post has been thrashed to death. However, I just came across a part off of Fleabay that I had to buy, just because it made no sense as compared to the part numbers and pictures associated with this post. I paid less than $10.00 and nobody bid on it because of the way it was posted. I have done this conversion several times and many thanks to Johnnyrude for his super doccumention of this conversion. But I have also seen some things I thought could add to this subject.
I bought a manifold (part # 331518). The seller said it came off a 1976 35HP Evinrude. However, it looked from the rear exactly like the 790 in the picture. I can not get this number to come up anywhere. It is exactly like the 0396790 etc in dimensions all around. However, it doesn't have the boss @ the 4 o'clock position with the part number; instead the part# is between the ribs @ the 5 and 7 o'clock positions. It also has the small nipple. It does have the 1.5 bore, the notch around the drain nipple hole and is the 1/8th" deeper plenum @ 5 3/8" plenum width that is nearly flat across the top. The 396154 cam follower (first used in 1986) is attached and appears to have never been removed from the intake. I went back through the ebay completed search and found that this manifold has been listed 3 times without bid. Hoorah for me. My point is, for those looking at this conversion, don't pass up this manifold!!!
The other item I have found is that the carb off a 1979 55hp is exactly like the 30HP in fitment and 1 1/2" bore/venturi size. The linkage fits perfectly (off the top carb) and has the choke. I have not had a non choke 55 or 50 in the parts box yet so I can't swear to the non choke fitment. Also, the idle system is fixed jet, (like the crossflow V-4's). A little dinking around with the idle jet size and the motor idles and transitions like your momma's sewing machine. The 63D main jet seems to be the ticket @ 1600 ' altitude. These carbs are a nickle a hundred. I have seen many "30" hp carbs on EBay, and the majority are not!!! I have seen many 30/35 intakes and MOST are 792's and 25hp models.
My latest creation is a 1986 20hp CRLCDC restricted engine, (converted to el) w/120psi compression, picked up from the local college for $100.00, with the above combo, choke shaft removed and the holes plugged with a knurled 1/4 aluminum pins pressed into the holes, drilled for an enrichment nipple, a solenoid mount bowl with an enrichment solenoid off a V-4. Looks like it was made for it. On a 14' Mirrocraft tin runabout went from 21.9 to 33.6 mph (off my Humminbird) w/a 012057 Michigan. Gets on full plane in 5.6 seconds. Just a little more grist for the mill.

386792 is the part # for both, 25 and 35hp, it is not a casting number...the bigger throat carb on the 35 is where the addes hp comes from...look at any site that sells omc parts ans you will see the intakes are the same...anywhere you look. Outta curiosity how does a 70hp carb fit on a 35hp intake?? If that is a 35 intake? Theres a small round part of the cast at about 4 oclock in relation to the intake hole...if yours is an 1980 35hp intake manifold you will see 386 and below that youll see 792...wich is the part number for both 25 and 35, on every model of both hp's i looked up from 76-84....

RaisedByWolves said:
:roll:

Ok, you’re right.

Good luck.

Dude you can roll your eyes or whatever...LOOK up the part numbers! i dont know what other proof you need... I will bet you anything you want the 25 and 35hp in 1980 ( and from 76 to 84) are the same intakes....i showed you both schematics from 1980 if thats not proof enough for you then idk....maybe make a doctors appointment??? Your arguing against known facts.... Show me the part number stamped on front of your intake you claim is off a 1980 35hp....prove me wrong and ill say you were right...come on show me man...also shouldnt tou need a larger intake on the motor your building with a 35 intake with a 70hp carb?? That goes against your entire argument...if a 25hp intake does no good with a 35 carb to add power then wth are you doing??? AA maybe??

Riverbean said:
RaisedByWolves said:

Ok, you’re right.

Good luck.

Dude you can roll your eyes or whatever...LOOK up the part numbers! i dont know what other proof you need... I will bet you anything you want the 25 and 35hp in 1980 ( and from 76 to 84) are the same intakes....i showed you both schematics from 1980 if thats not proof enough for you then idk....maybe make a doctors appointment??? Your arguing against known facts.... Show me the part number stamped on front of your intake you claim is off a 1980 35hp....prove me wrong and ill say you were right...come on show me man...also shouldnt tou need a larger intake on the motor your building with a 35 intake with a 70hp carb?? That goes against your entire argument...if a 25hp intake does no good with a 35 carb to add power then wth are you doing??? AA maybe??

Look, considering you dont want to listen and have delved into personal insults, Im not going to continue to argue with you. Suffice it to say you are new at this and you dont even know what you dont know.

For ANYONE interested in this topic who may read this, please ignore this trainwreck of a thread and read and understand fully the details given in this original thread on the topic.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23898

Theres a lot of good information if youre willing to learn. Its a little convoluted at times, but if your smart enough you can sort the wheat from the [strike]beans[/strike] Chaff.

RaisedByWolves said:
Riverbean said:
RaisedByWolves said:

Ok, you’re right.

Good luck.

Look, considering you dont want to listen and have delved into personal insults, Im not going to continue to argue with you. Suffice it to say you are new at this and you dont even know what you dont know.

For ANYONE interested in this topic who may read this, please ignore this trainwreck of a thread and read and understand fully the details given in this original thread on the topic.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23898

Theres a lot of good information if youre willing to learn. Its a little convoluted at times, but if your smart enough you can sort the wheat from the [strike]beans[/strike] Chaff.

Im not trying to insult you or anybody else..those threads you quoted about johnnyrude in reference to the model number im referring to isnt even in that thread...and like you said above about me having a 25hp intake is correct i do, the same intake thats on the 35's... All im saying is both intakes, the 25 and 35 in 1980 ( and from 76-84 all models) are the same...all this started when u said i had the wrong intake for my 35 carb i put on my 25hp and i told you they were the same intakes wich you disagreed...this thread would have been over had you checked the numbers on the intakes for both the 25 and 35 and saw for yourself that im right but you keep arguing about something that you say your right when your not...you, me or anybody else can simply cross check the numbers and see they are the same and that you are mistaken but you refuse to do so...so dont talk to me about sorting wheat from beans and learning something you obviously know nothing about...again not insulting you just trying to get you to check the numbers or post a pic of your intake that you say is off an 1980 35hp, a pic of the carb side wich will show it is #386792 wich is the same number on the 25's and 35's for 1980 when you look them up...im sure a bunch of people have read this and looked them up and saw im right but why you wont do so is beyond me....i know for a fact your "35" intake from 1980 as you say is not from a 1980 or any year from 76 to 84... Post a pic of the front of the intake, theres a little round protusion with 386 on top and 792 below it... Wich is the part number....again....everybody whos read this can sort beans from wheat, why cant you? You seem to think you can but try it....

Im getting my facts from marineengine,boats.net and every other site that sells parts but theyre all wrong right??