1983 Landau 1670 FP (1648)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinton78

Reaction score
Hello all - Finally, my first boat...and consequently, my first project boat.

After much debating with myself, I've used Sketchup to picture the final config of this project. Basically, the boat right now hasn't got much of anything...but potential.

What I'm planning:

Transom: I've already removed the corner braces and top cap on the transom...and the wood. I'm glad I did because the wood fell apart when I removed it. I also noticed that one of the knee braces has a nice crack. The previous owner put a 55 hp longshaft motor on it. It's a 15" transom with a 40 hp rating. There was a well-built jackplate on it though. I'm planning to raise the transom to 20" and have new knee braces made...taller ones.

Floor: I'm looking at closed cell foam wrapped/taped in plastic with a sheet of 0.063 alum. I'm also thinking about using 1/4" alum plates to fasten the seat pedestals down.

Deck: I'm just looking to extend the front deck back to the next rib, then add a step to the next rib after that...and make some storage compartments for life jackets and what not.

Livewell: I'm hoping to get one fabricated out of alum...probably 0.090. This will go in the front bench. I'm also wanting a baitwell of similar design to go in the back bench.

Console: I'd like to get this fabricated from 0.090 alum as well.

Flotation Pods: Not sure?

Paint: Not sure?

I plan to fish the Missouri River. This config will hopefully allow me to nose in on the bank and simply spin around in the chairs where rod holders will be mounted next to the baitwell on the back bench.

Pumps, plumbing, wiring...etc.: Details to be worked out later...I think.

Motor: My goal is to put a 4-stroke 40 hp on it.

And yes, 90% of these ideas came from lurking on these boards for a couple months. Thank you!

Attachments

• Boat Plan 1.jpg
    Boat Plan 1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,186
That looks nice! Good boat to start with, looks solid, Also, the Foam, We are doing that, buying Lowes Foam and wrapping it in plastic, and we're facing the taped side up towards the deck. Keep it updated on the pictures, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Also what'd you use to make that sketchup?

Here's a before and after of the transom removal. It went pretty easy for never having done one before. All I had to use was an angle grinder. I got into the rail a bit when cutting off the first corner piece...hopefully, when I find someone to weld everything up, that won't be an issue. I cut off the rivets with the grinder too...then pounded them out with a hammer and punch.

I've read enough of these threads to know that treated is not an option to replace the wood. Sounds like ext. ply with a good sealant of some sort is the way to go.

I know a lot of people use stainless to redo the transom, but I'd like to give solid alum riveting a try. Should be interesting.

Attachments

• Orig Transom.JPG
    Orig Transom.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Kochy said:
That looks nice! Good boat to start with, looks solid, Also, the Foam, We are doing that, buying Lowes Foam and wrapping it in plastic, and we're facing the taped side up towards the deck. Keep it updated on the pictures, I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Also what'd you use to make that sketchup?

Yep, I used Sketchup. It's somewhat crude, but the proportions are pretty darn close. I did a little better when trying to redesign my transom. The closer one in this pic is the current transom...the far one is what I'm planning to change it to.

It'll probably be a slow build. All this stuff adds up quick $-wise.

Attachments

• Transom Project.jpg
    Transom Project.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Well, the manufacturer's Coast Guard plate is pretty much toast, but I managed to see that it is rated for a 40 h.p. motor. The previous owner had a deteriorated plywood center console mounted to the front bench, but I don't think it originally had remote steering.

From what I looked into, the Coast Guard ratings can be manipulated basing on the steering setup, the dimensions, and the transom height. When I do the formula for this boat which is actually 15' 10" x 68-69" + remote steering with a 15" transom, it only comes out at 35 hp. Not sure how to explain the discrepancy.

So why? To eliminate the need for the jackplate that was on it, to be better equipped to handle longshaft motors, to hopefully manipulate the CC formula to ensure that a 40 hp will work, and because I had to cut it all up anyway so why not?

Hopefully, that sounds somewhat logical.