1984 Monark B 1648 Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SF Flats Fisher

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to posting, however I have been scoping out threads for about a year now. I've decided it was time to post a build thread of my own!

I traded an old 1997 Kawasaki Mojave 250 quad for this 1984 Monark B 1648 Flat Bottom with a 35 HP Force motor.

It's got its down sides, but overall I think I did alright for my second boat ever. I'm trading up from a 1979 14' Sea Nymph with no motor so I can't complain

I'm still formulating plans, but as soon as the weather permits here in bipolar South Florida, I'm going to tear out the current decking/carpeting, strip the paint, make a center console, make either an all aluminum transom or a wood + aluminum transom and then repaint.
I'm open to suggestions as to what you guys would think would be an ideal setup, I plan on running decent sized lakes, the St. Lucie River, and The Indian River during Snook season. I also have a 36 lb. thrust trolling motor to add, so a front deck is most likely in the plans.

Boat 1.jpg
Boat 2.jpg
Boat 3.jpg

Welcome fellow monark boat owner. I like your clean slate you jave there. Whats the capacity on the boat?

Kier said:
Welcome fellow monark boat owner. I like your clean slate you jave there. Whats the capacity on the boat?

I was wondering the same, I'm not sure. The only label/tag on the boat is the HIN. The Capacity label probably got painted over or something.

In the state of Kansas, you are required to have a capacity plate if the boat is newer the 1972. I hope your state is not the same way. Hopefully your right and you will find it covered with layers of paint.

Kier said:
In the state of Kansas, you are required to have a capacity plate if the boat is newer the 1972. I hope your state is not the same way. Hopefully your right and you will find it covered with layers of paint.

From what I've gathered the boat has a capacity of about 4 persons, not sure weight equivalent but I'd assume its around 600 pounds give or take.

-Also

Started fabbing up a new console, I planned on using the original console and adding a leg to the side, but I'd like to start with a fresh clean console. Also I've got to figure out to mount the controls, either make a bracket to hang them from, or mount them on the left side of the console.

Update -
Started tearing everything apart so I can lay down some fresh paint.

Boat 4.jpgConsole and Controls are out.

Boat 5.jpgFlooring is out, so many rivets o_o

Boat 6.jpgUsing Aircraft Paint Remover to get rid the 3 layers of paint on this thing, thinking about respraying it in tan.

I get paid tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to pick up some aluminum angle for brackets and whatnot. Console fab is up next!

Update - 2/10/14

Worked on the boat some more this past weekend, got the console done.

Boat 7.jpg
Boat 8.jpg
Boat 9.jpg
Boat 11.jpg
Boat 12.jpg

All that is left now is to install steering unit, cut hole for the steering cable to go through, fabricate a shield for it then do the same for the throttle cables.

Love the "No Overnight Parking" floor! If it was my boat part of me would like to leave it visible, find a clear textured paint or something. I hate throwing stuff out, recycle and reuse if you can. Plus its cheaper.

rscottp said:
Love the "No Overnight Parking" floor! If it was my boat part of me would like to leave it visible, find a clear textured paint or something. I hate throwing stuff out, recycle and reuse if you can. Plus its cheaper.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm keeping it not only because the cool factor but because its almost a 1/4 inch thick and light as a feather. It's like PVC or some type of plastic sandwiched between 1/16th inch aluminum plates, its really strong stuff. The sides are made out of the same material. I guess whatever highway signs are made out of.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342266#p342266 said:
SF Flats Fisher » 19 Feb 2014, 21:49[/url]"]
rscottp said:

Oh yeah for sure. I'm keeping it not only because the cool factor but because its almost a 1/4 inch thick and light as a feather. It's like PVC or some type of plastic sandwiched between 1/16th inch aluminum plates, its really strong stuff. The sides are made out of the same material. I guess whatever highway signs are made out of.

I called the local Highway Depts. asking if they had any old signs for sale. I got refused!

rscottp said:
[url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342266#p342266 said:
SF"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>tinboats</span><span>.</span><span>net</span><span>/</span><span>forum</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>p</span><span>=</span><span>342266</span><span>#</span><span>p342266</span><span>]</span><span>SF</span></a> Flats Fisher » 19 Feb 2014, 21:49[/url]"]
rscottp said:

I called the local Highway Depts. asking if they had any old signs for sale. I got refused!

Huh.. Here in Florida almost everything has a price on it, with the state trying to make as much money as they can I'm sure they'd sell old highway signs and things alike, I just haven't the need to get any until I started with this boat, never even thought about it.

Had my dad grab some wood from his work for me yesterday, he ended up gluing it and screwing it together for me. +1 Dad! Also another bonus is one out of two of my motor gaskets came in today, should get the other one tomorrow. Still have a little bit of work to do until the boats ready for water.
Boat 21.jpg
boat 20.jpg
Boat 22.jpg

Powerhead Base Gasket came in finally today. About to leave and go put 'er back together.

Also; James Foster at Southcentral Outboards is one helluva guy and really makes sure you've got the right part and I'm definitely buying from them again.
Boat 23.jpg

Ordered some more stuff, should be about the last few things I need. Still need to get some 10 gauge marine wire to run my trolling motor connector to the battery and then I need some 4 gauge to extend my battery cable to the motor.

ss (2014-02-26 at 05.48.21).png

First post in awhile, haven't gotten a lot done lately, dad gave me a little motivation and we started on the transom.

Cut out part of the aluminum in the transom, went and bought a 9' stick of 2x6x1/8th aluminum to put in, having my brother weld 'er up with a spoolgun and then she should be done as far as transom goes.

Attachments

• Boat 25.jpg
    Boat 25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 311