1989(?) Johnson 25 (J25TECEM) Starting issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgenetics64

Reaction score
Okay, this is the first 2 stroke outboard that I've dealt with directly. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to start the first time of the day. After that it starts easily and runs fine. Fresh fuel, 50.0 mix, sparkplugs are new. It's got spark and compression. I feel that there may be something simple that I'm missing. And suggestions, advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I squeeze the primer bulb until basically firm, pull the manual primer out, allowing it to rest at it's full position. Push the starter for up to a minute. Previously, if I can get it to fire once it would start and run all day. This time, 1.5 hours and nothing. I checked for spark, fuel, all was good. The problem has slowly gotten worse. A week ago it took 30 minutes to get it to start. Today, 24 August, set up in the barrel. Got a little bit with starting fluid. Nothing after the fluid was run through.

Last edited:
Thank you for your honest reply.
The manual primer is just that. Manual. In order for it to function is has to be pumped in and out 2-3 times. You should feel fuel in it. By just pulling it open you are probably barely filling the chamber in it with fuel. Now....on the output side of the primer you should see a small black fuel line that goes to a tiny brass nipple. Pull the line off of this nipple and check to make sure the primer is indeed pumping fuel when you are manually pumping it.
If it is you should be good to go. Simple learning curve to figure out how many pumps are perfect for fast starts.
The primer can be left open during warm up but should be closed before running.
One more check to make sure it is totally operational but lets see if this works for you first. Please get back to us.

Thank you, I'll give it a try in a few minutes. Until coming on here I was thinking that pull knob was just the old choke. That's why I would just pull it out and try adjusting to get it to start.

Okay, still no fire. I still have a feeling that it's something simple that either isn't right or that I'm missing. One of my next steps will be a manual for this beast.

The 14' Mirrocraft won't win any beauty contests but it serves the purpose for now.

Got it to cough once, and that was it. Plugs are black. So the mixture is too rich. Next is figuring out the adjustments for it. Also the low idle settings. I'll start fresh in the morning.

Okay. Did you do what I asked to verify it is pumping? If not that is square one to start. Check that first. At idle your plugs will remain black in color. Not a good indication of proper fuel/air mixture. Not a 4-stroke.
After you check the pump for pumping capability I want you to pull the fuel line from the primer and attach it to the small brass nipple and blow through it. The orifice is tiny so it may seem clogged at first but verify it is clean and clear. Do these first.

Okay. Did you do what I asked to verify it is pumping? If not that is square one to start. Check that first. At idle your plugs will remain black in color. Not a good indication of proper fuel/air mixture. Not a 4-stroke.
After you check the pump for pumping capability I want you to pull the fuel line from the primer and attach it to the small brass nipple and blow through it. The orifice is tiny so it may seem clogged at first but verify it is clean and clear. Do these first.
Yep pappy
First things first
Before moving on and guessing and making
It harder than it should be ..

Was going to tell you exactly what Pappy said above. He is giving you expert advice.

Listen and follow step by step.

Afternoon Pappy. Sorry about the delay, life intervened. Pulled fuel line. No go. Found at least a starting point. So now to crack the pump and see if it's the diaphragm (most likely, I'm guessing) or something more.
Squeezing the primer bulb in the line from the tank, gets fuel to the pump. Reconnecting that side to the pump, I pulled the line from the pump to the carb. Hit the starter and got a grand total of nothing.

Poseidon is a dead god. Only pray to the true God!

Glad you got it worked out. I had the very same problem many years ago, when I first joined this site. Was debris in that tiny little orifice. I had to flush my line out several times, so it didn't reoccur. After that, the motor ran like a top. Flawless. It was the one in my signature pic to the left. Great motors.

The Poseidon reference was made as a bit of sarcasm from a second generation Navy fleet sailor.

Went out last evening, letting it sit for 24 hours. Squeezed the inline bulb to be sure it was primed, it started up with short bump on the starter.

Tomorrow morning, heading to Nehalem Bay for the crab and clams.