1994 Mariner 25hp switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl423

Reaction score
Newbie to these kill switch issues but have a 25hp mariner that did not come with a tether.
I started it and it ran fine. Now I flipped the run switch to off and a pawl or engagement locks the flywheel from turning but I'd I hold it back it will start right up. How do I reset or by pass this safety?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If it has the shifter as part of the throttle, you might have to play with it to find neutral.. the lock prevents starting in gear.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
If it has the shifter as part of the throttle, you might have to play with it to find neutral.. the lock prevents starting in gear.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I've messed with it alot can fire it in neutral or gear if I hold this piece back.. I can't figure out what is supposed to hold this piece against the neutral safety switch and then the pawl piece away from the flywheel. Maybe something broke in the cable shift assembly [emoji848].. about to zip tie it into ineffectiveness. Thanks for the feedback so far. The motor is nearly identical to my 85 Longshaft next to it but that motor doesn't have a tether or safety switch. It's got me scratching my head.
82d82d24374c7b9d7f990fb53e02ae96.jpg
876315e847c55f8549712e04c7d5693d.jpg

Sounds like part of the linkage is messed up. It should only engage when the motor is not running and in gear, prevents you from starting it in gear and ramming nearby structures.

MrGiggles said:
Sounds like part of the linkage is messed up. It should only engage when the motor is not running and in gear, prevents you from starting it in gear and ramming nearby structures.
The issue only started once I killed the motor using the run off switch. What happens when you flip the switch to off does it release a magnet or something?

Karl423 said:
MrGiggles said:
The issue only started once I killed the motor using the run off switch. What happens when you flip the switch to off does it release a magnet or something?

If I remember right they had some sort of centrifugal device that would prevent the interlock from engaging while the engine is running, otherwise a lot of parts would fail in a spectacular way.

If it was mine, I'd take the locking pawl and throw it in the trash, but it's your motor.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the kill switch. I had a 9.8 Merc with the same setup, but that's been a long time ago.

Karl423 said:
MrGiggles said:

I honestly cant see it having anything to do with the kill switch, that was most likely coincidence but I can see why you might think that.

If I had it in front of me I could probably diagnose it a few minutes.

A WAG from here says the cables may be misadjusted or some other simple issue.