2-stroke motors a guilty pleasure?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate the smoke mostly. Even today, was test running a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke/twin carb motor in a horse trough. Just the first start I was gagging on 2 stroke oil smoke. Some guys like it, but I don't. Then within 5 minute run time, the surface of the water had developed a sheen of oil film on it, and of course also on the leg of the motor and gave me something to do (wipe it off) while 73 other machines are in the shop waiting and customers screaming for repair assistance. We ended up selling that old 25ESH, great motor and the guy who bought it got a deal. Sales was asking $1400 for it and bought it down to $1200 to dump it, broke even and took almost 2 weeks to sell. Clean motor too, with low hours obviously. Said he'd been looking for one for a while. They are all over the place, or I've seen them everywhere...but again, nobody wants to pay much for 'em.

Could it be an issue of, not so much of a "guilty pleasure" but perhaps more of a masculine thing? I agree..nothing sounds like a V6 2 stroke, and I mean nothing. But then again nothing sounds like an American pushrod V8 either, perhaps that is why the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are popular-as well as the reason the V8 still outsells the 4 & 6 cylinder engines in pickup trucks? Ego?

Well, guys, For the most part I don't like having to have a title on my boat. I get a State tag every year for putting it on the State waters, get boat trailer license every year for State road tax and my uncle bought the boat motor in 1957(no title then) and I inherited from him. Then they change the rules and ask you to come up with a title after he being dead for 30 years. I was only 11 years when I got the motors and didn't know "stuff from shineola" as far as the law was concerned. My opinion is that grandfather the boat motor title.

any advice on the Texas law may help me out. Thanks

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347294#p347294 said:
BrazosDon » 03 Apr 2014, 01:09[/url]"]Well, guys, For the most part I don't like having to have a title on my boat. I get a State tag every year for putting it on the State waters, get boat trailer license every year for State road tax and my uncle bought the boat motor in 1957(no title then) and I inherited from him. Then they change the rules and ask you to come up with a title after he being dead for 30 years. I was only 11 years when I got the motors and didn't know "stuff from shineola" as far as the law was concerned. My opinion is that grandfather the boat motor title.

any advice on the Texas law may help me out. Thanks

If you got your motor before 1994 then you should be ok without a title. But if not and the local GW is giving you problems about this then I would get a title jut for the peace of mind. A title proves owner ship & God forbid someone steals it and tries to pass it off as a motor they have had before titling was required. Here's a couple of links to TPWD's website where you can find the info on this.https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/ & https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishbo...tly Titled and-or Registered Through TPWD.PDF
Hope this helps you out; I don't like dealing with all of the bureaucratic paperwork either.

After owning several 2 strokes including brands Johnson, Evenrude, Western Auto, Wizard, Mercury and Force and now owning a 4 stroke Nissan, gotta say I like the 4 stroke more. Quieter, no smoke, better idling, less plug fouling, less vibration, even though a tad heavier no big deal.

Merc 50 is the only 4stroke I've had the pleasure of driving and it felt like a turd. I'll wait until I'm around a few more before I make a stance.

If you don't like the smoke , and have access to 100% gas , run klotz 2 stroke oil synthetic that stuff smells so good ! It will not mix with blended alky gas just a heads up .

I know there are not many coldwater fishermen on this forum who troll, but that is one task a 4 stroke excels at. I have a 25 Merc 2 stroke and trolling down to 2mph or so can be tough and it smokes quite a bit. If the wind is right it can be brutal. For a salmon and lake trout I'd far prefer a 4 stroke, my next motor will be a 4.