2002 Polar Kraft 165 SC "RESURRECTION"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really know how it would do on a floor for heat never tried it. It couldn't be as bad a diamond plate in the summer I'm sure. Plus once you add some fish slime especially big cats diamond plate turns into a slip-n-slide!

My next project boat (Tracker Guide V16) will have the same Tuff Coat applied to all the decking so i'll know how it does in the Alabama summers... :D

Now for the super fun stuff... :| The factory gel coat was severely cracked on the console and the clear coat is almost all gone. So yippie for me I get to grind all the cracks to the glass then fill, sand and repeat. I hate fiberglass work.
8fgbBS5.jpg

This is what happens when you take a nice boat and park it outside uncovered and never take care of it... Remember this is a 2002 model, the original owner passed away and his widow let it basically sit in the back yard for about 10 years until some guy decided he wanted to resurrect it :)
UmhSzk0.jpg

Sanded down to review the cracks
MpLinmw.jpg

Wow that's bad but can be saved. Glad you rescued this one[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skip - is that console fiberglass or plastic ??

I just performed the same procedure today with the plastic
part that goes around the steering column and ignition switch in my old van.
being that it is most likely HDPE, not too much will stick to it except
more molten HDPE ..... I sanded down the back side with 40 grit dry paper
and applied a fiberglass bandage over the crack with epoxy.
I have done this before with fair results. to buy a new one is out of the question.
to get one out of the junkyard is taking a chance (and waste of time) that it too will crack.

so my suggestion would be to very thoroughly clean the underside and sand the cracked area
with 40 grit and use epoxy (not polyester resin) and patch it from the underside.
if you are good with a soldering iron, you could melt the show side crack closed and
sand it down smooth, prime with Krylon plastic primer and repaint it.... it may last 2-5 years.
a lot longer if the boat is covered most of the time.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Johnny - It's glass. The gelcoat was pretty thick so I think that's why it cracked all over, it's about twice the thickness as it should be.

Got some time to work on the counsel again, took out the Dremel and ground out all the cracks to the glass so I can fix it and make it look nice again. :lol:
sgLSuA0.jpg

Here is another angle.
e93AqrN.jpg

This is probably the most hated procedure to do for me next to electrical wiring (my other arch nemisis). I can do it but only unless i'm forced to, since I don't have any bro's in the auto body business down here I get to do it myself!

Got some serious time to work on the boat today. I was so busy I only got a couple pics and wanted to get as much little stuff done as possible - I was on a roll!.

As with anything I touch lately it breaks LOL looks like I get to buy a new pump! The bilge and live well pumps were both broke as pictured so I said "let's just replace everything with brand new stuff".
cZpeUBy.jpg

The list for today was:
Install terminals for the trolling motor at the battery side
Replace pumps
Wire loom pump wiring and power cables at stern - make it look nice!
Label switches
Touch up paint
Wire in master power switch
Wire in LED light switch
Carpet the LAST piece of the boat
Install chain tether for drain plug
Make sure the radio worked for a prolonged period of time - I need some tunes while working right?

Behold the last thing I needed to carpet on this boat!
qZwPGVW.jpg

And viola! Its new again and i'm done with carpet thank god.
YYqTgI4.jpg

It took all day but my list is completed. I will get some more pics tomorrow to show off the handy work. Lots of little details and the motor work was not chronicled as its about boats. For fun when I officially call it done (Tomorrow?) I'll list everything I fixed, changed, repaired etc so beginners can see all the work that goes into these projects. This is finally in the home stretch and can't wait to get it out of the garage. :lol:

Well I can now say I'M DONE! =D>

I finally got all the little things put back together and polished her up today. I was perfect weather for some completion pics so enjoy.

First off here is the new pumps and stern wiring I did a couple days ago. Took way to long to do but it's done right and looks good.
J0TX4G5.jpg

Remember this trashed council? New radio installed as well as some other things.
dJ2J5oL.jpg

li5Oxh4.jpg

New seats, speakers etc. The new seat bases are so much better than the old big stationary units.
GLbLfir.jpg

New trolling motor installed
8kXwgZM.jpg

Side beauty shot
JYlH0Ay.jpg

The new and improved rod locker! Featuring fully carpeted inside and LED lights!
afbMUDJ.jpg

Look at all that carpet! I should have known better when I got it.
Ljpg6rC.jpg

New guide-ons and some elbow grease on the fenders
9UAUJRt.jpg

Inside look of the Yammy 50 (one of my all time favorite outboards) Yes I detailed the motor - Happy motor is a clean motor.
5fB3cHv.jpg

Well this one was a good boat to build, I know it had potential and solid bones to work off of. Took way longer than I wanted due to "life" but it's done, I wasn't rushed and took my time.
Here is the list of things replaced or repaired, keep in mind not everything is listed but it gives you a idea on the scope of the build.
1. New carpet - bigger job than you think if you want it too look the same or better than factory. Everything has to be removed and dissembled. I went with 20oz premium carpet so it was a upgrade from the 10oz it had new.
2. New LED lights inside
3. New Radio and speakers
4. New 55lb MinnKota Trolling motor
5. New complete Trolling motor power cable
6. New trolling motor connectors
7. New Bilge and Livewell pumps
8. New seat pedestal bases, pedestals and seats
9. Refurbished council
10. Wrapped panels on dash
11. Added main switch and LED switch
12. Wireloomed stern wiring and installed new connectors.
13. Painted assorted hardware (handles, doors etc)
14. Tuff Coated inner gunwales and top caps
15. New battery
16. Rewired trailer and installed new pigtail
17. New fuel line and connectors
18. Rebuilt carburetors and cleaned air box
19. Replaced water pump
20. Serviced lower unit
21. Installed new fuel lines in outboard
22. Replaced oil lines and adjusted oil pump to factory specs.
23. Verified timing and set idle to factory specs.
24. Replaced winch strap
25. Rebuilt wheel bearings
26. Rebuilt and carpeted side guide-ons
27. Greased steering and tilt zerks as well as brackets

I hope this gives someone some inspiration on rebuilding boats as I said before this is a great resource and I'm happy to contribute.

Last but not least the day I got it.
Before
GoKsKpE.jpg

After
nJMTUlU.jpg

Yes its FOR SALE!! :D

I 2nd LDUBS, It's much more then people thing. If you have done something similar you Iam right. Great job Skipjack [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk