2009 15hp merc 4stroke/what would u pay?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really sure yet.I have been throwing around a bunch of different oils.But when i decide what to run in the lower unit and the engine oil i will post it for sure.Right now the motor was just broke in and the owner said he went to a merc dealer and got a oil change and filter,plus the lower unit oil changed.Get this they charged him,now sit back and just wow this,$145 for a filter,oil for the engine and lower unit,that is nuts.The filter at walmart is $8 and the lower unit oil and engine oil together[merc oil of course]is only like $16 for both,so thats $24 for the parts and oil and $121 for labor.

I couldn't say anything to him as i did not want to make him feel bad.For peaks sake i can get the most expensive synthetic oil on the market and filter and still be around $30 to $40.The motor only takes one quart and lower unit is around 14 to 18 ounces if i'm correct and the filter is nothing in a merc.I did a 2009 9.9hp 4stroke in under 30min leting just about every drop come out of both the engine and lower unit and replacing everything also not ever doing it before.

I hate most marinas they just rip people off,it makes me sick.I am learning how to do all my own work on a cheap motor that barely runs i found on craigslist for $75,this way i can learn all the ins and outs of the basics that most people get rid of their motors for like fuel probs,spark probs,carb probs and u get my drift,i have bought every seloc book for almost every major engine company from 2.5hp to 25hp and i will start buying cheaper motors that have these kind of probs and if it is a easy fix then i will sell them as a running motor and if not then i will just part them out.

Belive it or not most of the time u can make more money parting out these motors then selling them running.Well i will check the engine oil and lower unit oil just to see how it looks.

You mean anchors away,formally known as boater.Pics coming today or tonight as i need to clean her up a little.One more question on this motor,what is the best chemical or type of wax or a cleaner to buff it out real nice and make it shine like new.

Does anyone ever clean their motor up every once in a while?What do u guys use and what do u think is the best product out there for cleaning outboards up?There is a few scratches or i would say like blemishes on it i would like to take out if i can so i want to know how to do that,If i try to clean the blemishes up like just rubing my finger over them they start to fade a little so whatever is on the cowl besides a few small scratches will come out but i want to wax her up and clean her up nice.Thanks for any info.

anchors away said:
Does anyone ever clean their motor up every once in a while?What do u guys use and what do u think is the best product out there for cleaning outboards up?

I use a garden hose...

I'm talking about a type of wax that buffs the paint out nice so the motors paint won't fade.I found what i needed,i bought some meguiar's fix and scratch and wow one coat and it looks like it came out of the showroom and then i put some meguiar's spray wax detailer and it looks like it has never been used and the water beads off like rain x.

I like to make my stuff look good espically when it should look as new as possible with little use.Do this twice a yr and the paint won't fade for a long time if at all.I did this to all my new motors and they always looked new because i take care of everything i have.Things tend to last alot longer when u do that.Now if i had a used beat up motor on the outside then a garden hose will do.After i'm done using it in saltwater i rinse it down with a hose then i coat the whole motor with a lubricant everytime under the cowl[meaning engine] and outside and my motor never gets any corrosion at all.I don't know maybe i'm different then most people but i want my stuff to last.

Well here she is after a nice wax job to spiff her up.What a beauty.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 728
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 728
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 728
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG