25hp for a 20hp hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an Alumacraft V-14 hull rated for 20 hp, with a 20" transom. I am planning on installing a Yamaha F25 with power t/t, it is about 143 lbs, I think. Is this going to be too much weight for the stern? I see that the F20, (what the hull is rated for), is not much less weight, maybe a few pounds less, so as far as that goes it seems it wouldn't make a lot of difference? Starter battery and 3 gallons of fuel in the back, plus me, 160 pounds. Not a speed demon. Boat is rated for 1195 lbs total.

Last edited:
^^^^^This^^^^^

Put the battery in the bow and fuel forward.

I’m just over 300 with the same size boat and need to consider these things carefully.

I have mine balanced well enough that it runs fine with me solo or with the wife in front.

My hydrofoil is a big part of that but weight distribution also plays a part both at rest and underway.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Put the battery in the bow and fuel forward.

I’m just over 300 with the same size boat and need to consider these things carefully.

I have mine balanced well enough that it runs fine with me solo or with the wife in front.

My hydrofoil is a big part of that but weight distribution also plays a part both at rest and underway.
thanks, that's about what I figured

My 1548 is actually 14'3" with a 15 inch transom and with that same engine and I have no problems by myself. A 25lb battery (harbor freight) and 6 gallons of gas in the back. With a 200lb passenger I just can't back up too hard but I load toolboxes and ice chests in the front. If your hull is narrow it will sit lower but with a 20" transom that will help.

Last edited: