Pleasure cruising / light fishing..with two old 14' boats, and one motor..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Hudson

Reaction score
Howdy from the Truman lake area.. Missouri.
I have two old 14' boats.
Richline 14..1969 vee bottom
Alweld 14'. 1975 14/36 flat bottom.
I'm 64 years old thinking about getting a new 6hp.. Suzuki or Mercury.
So I can swap the motor to whichever boat for the day..
I very much just enjoy riding around seeing the sights.
River or lake.
Be just me.. a cooler of ice and soda pop.. gas.. can of worms . I'm 280#
Think a 6hp.. push me around ok ?
The prevalent dealers around Warsaw mo.. have mercury and Suzuki .
The Suzuki is lighter.. but not by much.
Don't know if I'd ever plane out.. but I also don't want to just push water.
My funds are limited.. and I do need a lighter motor.. what y'all think ?

There's the Richline boat.. with my boys motor.. but he needs it back..
So I'm wanting a 6hp..
I see them online for about 1400.00$
I think I can possibly afford that.

I agree just cruising at low speed can be good enough sometimes, but what if a storm blows up or you suddenly have to buck a strong head wind? I suggest you find yourself an older OMC 15, should be way less than $1400. Put a little time and money into it and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as reliable, maybe more so, then a brand new one since old motors had far fewer parts to fail. Just my take on it. I usually run and 18 on my 14' deep V MirroCraft, but also have a 25 for it. I'm also about your age and didn't know a darned thing about boat motors until a year or so ago.

A nice, pleasurable cruise doesn't always involve getting on plane.... There's a LOT to be said for slow and easy.....
Thanks for your reply..
Yes.. fuel consumption is important for me also .
The reviews on the 6hp motors is very good.
I'm after total simplicity, just to go sightseeing, yes? Should be good to go
Skinny river on YouTube, his little 6horse went almost ten miles on .03 gallon of gas.
I thought that was like ...wow.
Thanks.
I agree just cruising at low speed can be good enough sometimes, but what if a storm blows up or you suddenly have to buck a strong head wind? I suggest you find yourself an older OMC 15, should be way less than $1400. Put a little time and money into it and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as reliable, maybe more so, then a brand new one since old motors had far fewer parts to fail. Just my take on it. I usually run and 18 on my 14' deep V MirroCraft, but also have a 25 for it. I'm also about your age and didn't know a darned thing about boat motors until a year or so ago.
Update ::::acquired an 83 Evinrude 15hp short shaft...
All 😁 😁
And yes, half the price of a new 6hp four stroke.
Still wouldn't mind a new six... But can't wait to try out this setup.

There's the Richline boat.. with my boys motor.. but he needs it back..
So I'm wanting a 6hp..
I see them online for about 1400.00$
I think I can possibly afford that.
check online outboards.com, they have a tohatsu 6hp.(they make mercury)for $1,280.oo +tax, shipping is included. click the overstock deals green button. 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply..
Yes.. fuel consumption is important for me also .
The reviews on the 6hp motors is very good.
I'm after total simplicity, just to go sightseeing, yes? Should be good to go
Skinny river on YouTube, his little 6horse went almost ten miles on .03 gallon of gas.
I thought that was like ...wow.
Thanks.

Update ::::acquired an 83 Evinrude 15hp short shaft...
All 😁 😁
And yes, half the price of a new 6hp four stroke.
Still wouldn't mind a new six... But can't wait to try out this setup.
well never mind! so much for good fuel economy and get to buy and add oil every tank full. good luck with the old beast.

well never mind! so much for good fuel economy and get to buy and add oil every tank full. good luck with the old beast.
I'm thinking..get the 6 tohatsu also.
My son will go over this old evinrude.
In his job, he's fixed a bunch of them up
So I should be good to go.
Hopefully have a fun summer.

That new 6 HP will sip gas @ WOT figure on .5 gal an hour. But it will never get you on plane, you'll be bushing a lot of water and stressing the eng if you want to make any time at all. If content moving along @ 5 mph you'll sip gas at .3 gal an hour. With the used 15, you can still go 5 MPH and sip gas, I bet not much more then the 6 would use at trolling speed. Plus you get the option to plane out of you see storm clouds moving in.

6hp might plane the 1436. The Richline would likely be better with a 9.9 or 15hp.

If it were mine, I'd rig the flat bottom with a 6hp and try to find a 9.9 or 15hp for the Richline. Use the jon on the river, and the Richline on the lake.

6hp might plane the 1436. The Richline would likely be better with a 9.9 or 15hp.

If it were mine, I'd rig the flat bottom with a 6hp and try to find a 9.9 or 15hp for the Richline. Use the jon on the river, and the Richline on the lake.
That's exactly what I was planning on doing..
I've even dug out of my barn.. my old 13hp sps swamp runner mud motor.
But it's heavy.. 120 pounds plus?
If I buy the 6hp.. they say it's 58 pounds.
Over half , less weight.
Thank you for your reply.

I did buy a 1983 evinrude two smoke.
Yes, I put it on the RichLine

Latest posts