2nd battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the king

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the site and already love it. I recently purchased a fairly clean and well cared for '86 Bass Tracker TX-17 with a 1988 Suzuki DT-40 and super clean Tracker trailer. Not my first boat, but my first bass boat. I need to get some opinions on a second battery. There is a group 27 deep cycle in the boat now that I will use for the TM. Since my motor only charges at a rate of 5 amps and most of my fishing trips will involve short distances for the outboard, would I be better off with another deep cycle instead of a regular cranking battery? The second battery will run the starter, bilge pump, and rarely the lights. I didn't include the livewell because I do catch and release. Thanks.

just my 2 cents but it sounds to me that you don't really need a second battery if you only go out for the day.i run 2 deep cycles in parallel but I've never drained them.thats running my tm,12 v plug for the radio,bilge,and that's over a long weekend,and no charging system.

A regular cranking battery will run all of those items w/o issue for a daily fishing trip. Just charge it up when you get home, and good to go fishing again. May not have to charge it up each time, but I would, especially if you use a newer gps/ss/di/si imaging FF as they can be a little power hungry.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335158#p335158 said:
TNtroller » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:49 pm[/url]"]A regular cranking battery will run all of those items w/o issue for a daily fishing trip. Just charge it up when you get home, and good to go fishing again. May not have to charge it up each time, but I would, especially if you use a newer gps/ss/di/si imaging FF as they can be a little power hungry.
storing your battery in an uncharged state will greatly shorten the life of the battery
charge every battery after Every trip if you want it to last as long as it should.
IMO 2 batteries depends on what water you fish, if you fish in lakes you should be okay with 1 battery as you shouldn't drain the trolling motor battery to a point that it wouldn't start your 40 hp motor. but if you fish rivers with current you may drain it to that point. I take a jump pack with me in case I draw my batteries down to the pint that it wont start $39.99 and only weighs 15lbs

:twisted: I would not count on just one battery to power everything and you're only using a 27 series which can drain rather quickly while using the TM. Get a second one. I run three 31 series batts on my 16' Tracker.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I was out of town and then had holiday company (and ate toooo much turkey). Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I will get a second battery for just in case and so I don't have to worry about interference on my up and coming Xmas present: A fishfinder/chartplotter. So I guess I have to ask which one: deep cycle or standard starter battery?

Latest posts