32" vs 36" vs 42" vs 48" jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was a 1.5 Gamefisher but it's what came with the 1032 as a package from Sears back in the day. We were a boatload and a half of redneck that day, especially when the battery died and I had to use a 12' Mojo pole to pirogue it all the way back. I really expected one of the others to walk in with the other 3 guys, but he jumped in the boat haha.

And Bean, that's the same one I've got. I haul it in the truck bed with a homemade bed extender with PVC rollers over it and a detachable cart to wheel it down the launch. I should have pics of it somewhere, but I have also thought it could easily be suspended for storage

And Bean said:
i remember seeing your trailer/truck bed setup. I thought that was genius =D>
hey,in a perfect world, we would all have 2072 jons with 100hp outboards, but sometimes you have to get by with what you can afford

Mr. Bean - - -
okay now, what is your situation ?? do you have a 9.9 motor and trying to
figure out what is your best choice to put it on ?
Regardless of the maker, look very carefully at the very educated information
you have been given here and make your SAFE decision based on the facts.
Mo Wider = Mo Betta (IMHO).

I too have just been given a Johnson 9.9 and am searching C/L for something
to put it on. But I can tell you this, with my past experience with a 1032 and 1232,
there is no way I will ever feel comfortable - or SAFE in one of those things again.
If I can find a 1242, I think I would be okay with that. 1448 would be much better.
but anyway, I am also looking the same as you.

in the meantime, here is how I plan to transport my Jon.
Transporting Bass Boat.jpg

Well I appreciate that. I was pretty pleased with what I could come up with by using only scrap materials. I don't remember if I ever posted my cart, but I guess I will after I finish some fine tuning on it. Right now I'm working on a removable and out of the way rod rack system and a winch or pulley system to get it in the truck easier.

I'm also looking to find something wider or maybe even 14' if I can swap without losing my *** in this one. But it's just like a chainsaw, gun, or anything else. You have to understand its volatility and respect its capabilities. That's the only reason I'm comfortable with it as it is instead of paddling or not using it until I find something else.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Mr. Bean - - -
okay now, what is your situation ?? do you have a 9.9 motor and trying to
figure out what is your best choice to put it on ? in the meantime, here is how I plan to transport my Jon.

not a 9.9. I have a tracker super guide v14 with a 25hp mercury. I am looking for a smaller outboard for it. 9.9hp or smaller. i only troll with it on the lake that I live on, at no wake or early in the morning. I was thinking of getting an outboard that I can swap back and forth on a jon boat, so I can take it with me when I drive my wife to visit her sister. she lives around a few 9.9hp limit lakes.
I really like the 1036 tracker jon, and am going to look at the alumacraft 1036 tomorrow. I'm not making a special trip to see it, it is along the way to a plant/garden store which my wife has wanted to shop :LOL2:
i have considered a 3.5 up to a 9.9hp. it will depend on the boat I get. I really don't want anything larger than the 1036, because I have just enough room in the garage for it, and I just like the way it looks, and how light it is

wow - now we are all totally confused.

you started your thread off by asking about the differences of getting
different size boats up on plane then scooting at top speeds . . . .
has anyone here taken a 9.9hp outboard and put it on a 12 or 14 ft jon boat of various widths
to see how it would perform
(distance to plane, top speed)? I have been curious about the different advantages/disadvantages
of any given width. you would have to have the same engine, pilot, and conditions for each boat

then, you say, "I have a tracker super guide v14 with a 25hp mercury.
I am looking for a smaller outboard for it. 9.9hp or smaller.
i only troll with it on the lake that I live on, at no wake or early in the morning"

So, I guess you just need a small boat and motor for trolling and going slow in the mornings with no wake?

I want mine wide for one reason, stability. performance is not a factor or I would get a bigger motor.

ok,
I went to the alumacraft/lowe dealer today. they have just about every jon boat that both manufacturers make, which is nice, because a lot of dealers just have a couple of jon boats on the premises.
the 1036 looks a little small sitting next to a 1236.
the 1232 looks a little narrow, but I have fished out of a canoe before, even standing up.
the best compromise looks like the alumacraft 1236. it is probably the perfect combination of length/width for a small boat, and it is rated for 10hp
honestly, I could go with any of the three, but will probably end up with the 1236. the only downside: being 12' will make it harder to store and it weighs 125lbs. the 1036 and 1232 are around 100lbs
I've got a few weeks before I will be back in that direction, I'll keep looking on cl. I did just miss an alumacraft 1232 and trailer a month ago. :evil:

1236's are nice and common - you'll do well surfing craigslist for a deal. Get yourself a transom dolly and the extra 25lbs won't really make a difference.

I would get the widest boat your 9.9 can push. If your fishing with a buddy, the width will make for a more comfortable day on the lake. If you want a narrow, unstable boat; there are plenty of canoe's on Craigslist for $300.