50 HP on a 1756?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here as I've never owned an aluminum boat so don't have any experience in this area. I've been shopping for a used aluminum tunnel hull boat and I found what appears to be a pretty good one. I haven't looked at it yet, but it's got a 50 HP e-tec on the 1756 with tunnel and sponsons and I'm a bit concerned about performance, namely getting up on plane in shallow water. Owner says it does about 35 mph lightly loaded. It has a jack plate if that matters. This boat is a Weldcraft and empty hull weight was listed in mid-900's. I've been looking ant the Alumacraft 1756's which seem to almost always have 70 hp Yamaha's on them and their hull weight is in the 800's. Just want to check and see if I may be shorting myself here. I don't need a speed boat, but I don't want it to bog down perform under par either.

Maybe begin by finding out what is the max HP listed on the plate. Depending on if it's a tiller or console, 50 could be the max. It seems unlikely a boat that size would be a max 50 HP but it might help knowing in order to make your decision.

More HP wouldn't hurt but 35mph in a tin is moving right a long IMO so I'd guess it's planning. If quick hole shot is necessary a different prop could help. I guess it depends on the deal...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358120#p358120 said:
Djknyork » 02 Jul 2014, 21:06[/url]"]More HP wouldn't hurt but 35mph in a tin is moving right a long IMO so I'd guess it's planning. If quick hole shot is necessary a different prop could help. I guess it depends on the deal...

Yeah it's actually a bit more $ than the other one I'm looking at with a 70hp but it's in better shape and 2 years newer. Problem is I won't have ability to water test it, so I guess I'm trying to verify through collective experience that a 50 can really do that. Yall have been helpful, appreciate the input.

Latest posts