57 evinrude 7.5. should i get it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well you guys were very helpful. but i couldnt get the motor. my dad told me last minute he wouldnt get one the couldnt be registered. soo im looking at this https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4514268798.html the guy will separate. 1975 evinrude 6hp. would that be a 2 stroke? i dont know if i wanna settle on a 6hp, how fast should my 12 ft flat bottom go with that motor and about 400lbs in the boat? thanks for the help earlier

just found this one too https://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4531836761.html i dont know if its a 2 stroke yet and i need it to be

josh870,

I fear that you will be DISAPPOINTED in the speed of even a 12ft boat with 6HP, with 400# aboard. = I've run a 5.5 Johnnyrude on a square-stern canoe & wished for more "juice", if running against a gentle current in a creek.

IF it was my little tin boat, I'd keep looking until I found a 10-12 horse OMC, that LOOKS & RUNS good.
(OR that is REALLY, REALLY cheap, like the 20.oo Gale 12HP that my "fishing buddy" found this AM at a garage sale, that is missing the gas tank.)
There are literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of GREAT 1955-70 OMC outboards "out there in America", so it's just a matter of PATIENTLY LOOKING.

best wishes, satx

Just this morning at a yard sale I saw a 9.9 2009 mercury for $125. Looked brand new needed a carb and fuel pump. If I had money I would have grabbed it. It would have been way to heavy for me to ever want to use but I could have fixed it up and made $800. But oh well. Anyway I would get an old 10horse but like I said my dad is paying and I need to be able to register it. Also considering I have been getting by with a trolling motor at 3 mph if I can get this boat over 12mph I will be happy

i have a 77 evinrude 6hp i've been running on my 14ft flat bottom for quite a while now and i dont think you would be disapointed with it. it's no race boat by any means and feels a little slow compared to my 66' 9.5 evinrude i just finished restoring but it is a strong motor and it will get you from a to b quite a bit faster than your electric not to mention you'll be able to run 3 or 4 weekends on a tank of fuel compared to a few hours on a battery. these old evinrudes are in my opinion some of the best. they are simple and easy to work on (even for a beginner) and parts are fairly cheap and widely available.
if you are not familiar with outboards i would highly recommend making friends with someone that is and have them come along and check the motor over for you. these little ones will run all day long on one cylinder and if you dont know what to look for you would never know it. if you cant find anyone to come with you spend the few dollars on a compression tester and learn how to use it. if it has good compression (i believe johnson/evinrude recommends rebuild for anything over a difference of 5 between cylinders but i use the 10% rule) and the lower unit is good then everything else is pretty cheap and easy to fix. good luck on your search.

Latest posts