6/7/10- Pompton Lake, NJ - Great weather, bad ending

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Decided to head out with my brother around 2pm to Potash/Pompton Lake, NJ just to enjoy the weather and the fishing. Everything started out great, a couple of dinks and dunks and a nice LMB. We were cruising around, really just taking it all in. I decided to show my brother a really nice house all the way down the far side of the lake right before the dam. I fire up the motor as usual, but when I go into forward gear, it dies. Uh oh. Again, I try, again same result. I was just talking about how good this motor was, and now it quits. So mad, what could it be - the bulb was hard, electrical was good, connections good, hmm. Well, our car and ramp were ALL the way at Potash, so it would take us an easy 1.5 to get to the spot with the electric bow motor. We finally pull into the Pompton Ramp, which is not even half way to our ramp. I talk to a DPW guy doing work, and he gives me a lift to my car - his name was Dan, a really, really nice guy for doing that so I didn't have to huff it 2+ miles on the road.

I pick up my car, bring it back to the other ramp and back it into the water. At this point my brother says, "Where is the rope? I can't put the boat in." I say, crap, it must have blown off. But wait, it's tied to a front handle, so impossible. Sure enough as I go to the boat, the water is clear and I trace the rope....under the boat....back to the motor....around my prop, twisted several times. UGH. The good news was I figured out what was wrong with it, the bad news obviously, was that I tried to start the thing half a dozen times, started it, engaged the motor forward, and then it died. I did this until it wouldn't start - bad move. THe FIRST thing I should have done when the motor wouldn't go forward is KISS (keep it simple stupid) and check the prop.

What kind of damage could I have done? I am hoping when I get a chance to fire it up on the muffs tomorrow it will start and everything will be ok. the prop doesn't look any worse for the wear, and spins freely. Could I have sheared the gears inside or would the motor quit if it was tangled - almost like an auto kill? I am hoping that once the rope was off we are good to go, but I guess there is no way of knowing. Lessons learned, KISS when you have a problem, start basic. Also, tie the rope around the cleat to make sure it's not going anywhere. I usually do this, but forgot as we were excited to just go out there.

Hoping I didn't screw myself, as I have no funds until my job starts in Sept. I need some good karma if you have any.

Once you clear the rope the motor should be fine. Very hard to damage the gears. I would suspect that even if it was bound up like that, the shear pin would go before the gears.

DocWatson said:
Once you clear the rope the motor should be fine. Very hard to damage the gears. I would suspect that even if it was bound up like that, the shear pin would go before the gears.

Hope you're right, Doc. Won't be until at least tomorrow that I get to fire her up and find out.