Safety Safety Safety

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
When I launch my boat there’s only one ramp that I use where getting the boat off the trailer is easy as pie. The rest I have to do a little pushing and a couple I have the truck backed in the water. And there’s one lake I have yet to go back to since first step put me upside down. It’s covered in algae and steep. And tried to swallow my old truck once. Luckily my sister stood on the brakes so the front tires gripped. There was a Boy Scout troop there and the leader grabbed my truck with his Jeep and pulled us up the ramp.
I now have a newer truck which I like very much and would have a heart attack if it went for a swim. It’s 2wd but when I have the boat loaded it has an electronic axle lock and manual mode for the transmission. I lock the axle and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear to start in give it some extra throttle and it climbs out every time without spinning a wheel.

Every time I launch I get the boat ready away from the ramp as I should. Back in with windows rolled down only as far as necessary. Place truck in park and set the parking brake. Then as soon as I get out I put wheel chokes behind the tires then get the boat off the trailer.
I’m planning on going back to that algae ramp and fallow the same procedure but have bags of sand for extra rear axle weight and if needed bust open a couple bags and put it on the ramp.
I have ordered another tool for safety to add to my routine. A lot of trucks slide in because of no traction in the rear. Parking brake won’t help that.
So I ordered a brake pedal depressor tool. It will keep all four brakes locked while I’m not in the truck. It’s intended to be a maintenance tool for doing certain work and need a pedal depressed so one person can do the work. Also used to check brake lights.
A lady my wife work With and her husband went to this reservoir yesterday and was sending pictures of some nice channel cat. And it’s only 30 minutes from my house. I’ve stayed away because of the ramp and its one of the most popular bass fishing lakes in Texas so when we went on a Saturday it was full of traffic all big bass boats. And we where not treated very courteous at all trying to anchor on a popular point and catfish in a tin boat. We bobbed up and down like a 16’ cork.
But there seems to be some problems with conditions for a little while now and the bass are super slow biting. In the pictures my wife’s friend sent yesterday you couldn’t see a single boat in the background. So I’m grabbing my partner so I’m not solo and where going on a week day. Here soon. It’s a power plant lake and in January every year all you have to do is anchor a little ways from the jetty where the warm water outlet is and drop a little homemade chum. My neighbor that has moved did it every year and was back home by 1:00 pm with an ice chest full of nice channels. I always would give him a hand with something. I even fixed his mower. And still couldn’t get an invitation to go with him. Now I have a boat and I’ve known how to make chum for years. Something else I have been told about the lake is by the dam the bass fisherman complain about flat heads hitting their lures. It’s not a big lake but if I get lucky and it’s not swarming with boats I’ll have room to do some drifting along that dam.

Anyway my apologies I just wanted to share my newest accident prevention and I’m stuck on Fayette county lake. I got to get to my favorite too real soon. The big blue cats are finally out in deep water and the bite is on. The holidays are behind us now so I’m watching the weather so I can plan a day. Catch my fresh bait the night before.

That's another upside to a tongue extension if your situation allows it. Keeps the tow rig further away from the water.

People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the best fishing is from Thanksgiving to early April, but they will not change my mind. Hardly any boats out and the fishing can be just stupid good.

Wow! Ramp is that slippery because of algae. I might bring a pressure washer! Haha.

This time of year I troll the shorelines. I never understood why the bass boat guys blast along the shoreline scaring every living thing with fins and a few fishermen too! And, that is in a huge lake.

BTW, we are not allowed to chum in our freshwater lakes out here.

Never had a tow vehicle incident on algea covered ramps but...I have had to do the Texas Two Step on many ocassions ! I do carry a pr of rubber boots with studded treads on the bottom just in case. My front wheel drive Cherokee plus the 4 wd feature has been a big help. Haven't launched with a rear 2wd vehicle in over 30 yrs.

Years ago I had a 1995 dodge Dakota reg cab 2x4 v6 manual transmission. Some times the only way to get up some ramps was to let em spin a little but you had to modulate it or you'd end up going backwards with too much throttle. Wet steep concrete is slick throw in a little river mud and it's even worse. These days I have a 3/4 ton 4x4 but it's still no match for a mud covered ramp after a storm. That river mud has the same consistency as wheel bearing grease. I have a 13k winch on my equipment trailer I could easily put in a front reciever hitch on my truck but I'm not sure it would do the job with 8500lbs of truck and 4500lbs of boat and trailer on a steep ramp I'm thinking I would need a much bigger winch and it all sounds like way too much work. Probably be easier to tow my loader to the ramp the day before fishing and clean it myself than to deal with all that.

When I launch my boat there’s only one ramp that I use where getting the boat off the trailer is easy as pie. The rest I have to do a little pushing and a couple I have the truck backed in the water. And there’s one lake I have yet to go back to since first step put me upside down. It’s covered in algae and steep. And tried to swallow my old truck once. Luckily my sister stood on the brakes so the front tires gripped. There was a Boy Scout troop there and the leader grabbed my truck with his Jeep and pulled us up the ramp.
I now have a newer truck which I like very much and would have a heart attack if it went for a swim. It’s 2wd but when I have the boat loaded it has an electronic axle lock and manual mode for the transmission. I lock the axle and put it in 2nd or 3rd gear to start in give it some extra throttle and it climbs out every time without spinning a wheel.

Every time I launch I get the boat ready away from the ramp as I should. Back in with windows rolled down only as far as necessary. Place truck in park and set the parking brake. Then as soon as I get out I put wheel chokes behind the tires then get the boat off the trailer.
I’m planning on going back to that algae ramp and fallow the same procedure but have bags of sand for extra rear axle weight and if needed bust open a couple bags and put it on the ramp.
I have ordered another tool for safety to add to my routine. A lot of trucks slide in because of no traction in the rear. Parking brake won’t help that.
So I ordered a brake pedal depressor tool. It will keep all four brakes locked while I’m not in the truck. It’s intended to be a maintenance tool for doing certain work and need a pedal depressed so one person can do the work. Also used to check brake lights.
A lady my wife work With and her husband went to this reservoir yesterday and was sending pictures of some nice channel cat. And it’s only 30 minutes from my house. I’ve stayed away because of the ramp and its one of the most popular bass fishing lakes in Texas so when we went on a Saturday it was full of traffic all big bass boats. And we where not treated very courteous at all trying to anchor on a popular point and catfish in a tin boat. We bobbed up and down like a 16’ cork.
But there seems to be some problems with conditions for a little while now and the bass are super slow biting. In the pictures my wife’s friend sent yesterday you couldn’t see a single boat in the background. So I’m grabbing my partner so I’m not solo and where going on a week day. Here soon. It’s a power plant lake and in January every year all you have to do is anchor a little ways from the jetty where the warm water outlet is and drop a little homemade chum. My neighbor that has moved did it every year and was back home by 1:00 pm with an ice chest full of nice channels. I always would give him a hand with something. I even fixed his mower. And still couldn’t get an invitation to go with him. Now I have a boat and I’ve known how to make chum for years. Something else I have been told about the lake is by the dam the bass fisherman complain about flat heads hitting their lures. It’s not a big lake but if I get lucky and it’s not swarming with boats I’ll have room to do some drifting along that dam.

Anyway my apologies I just wanted to share my newest accident prevention and I’m stuck on Fayette county lake. I got to get to my favorite too real soon. The big blue cats are finally out in deep water and the bite is on. The holidays are behind us now so I’m watching the weather so I can plan a day. Catch my fresh bait the night before.

Kudos to you about safety consideration. I boat and fish as safe as I can. A useable boarding ladder is in my near future; if I ever were to fall over, it would nice to be able to get back aboard.

But you bring us a great reminder.....safety at the ramp is also very important. I've never used wheel chocks at a ramp, but I may toss one in the truck. Problem is.....someone waiting to launch may think I'm being inconsiderate by taking a few extra minutes during launch/retrieve.

Last edited:
Problem is.....someone waiting to launch may think I'm being inconsiderate by taking a few extra minutes during launch/retrieve.
Years ago I used to get a little anxiety when at a busy launch. These days I follow my routine in a timely manner and not worry about taking an extra minute if I need to. It’s those pushy ignoramus’s that intimidate folks at ramp and cause more problems. I ALWAYS offer help to anyone struggling at the ramp.

My Ford has a switch on the dash to allow for posi-track at the rear wheels. It works perfectly. I have 4x4 as well but haven't had to use it so far.
On one occasion, I just about slipped on the ramp because of algae slime on the concrete ramp. I didn't realize that the ramp was slippery like ice. No one wants to break an ankle at the boat ramp.

I'm still pretty green. Bought first boat a little over a year ago. Launched maybe a dozen times, BUT on one of the first trips I ended up flat on my back staring up at the sky through a foot of water. Seems my ramp is always slippery, but sometimes worse than others. I now toss the footwear and go barefoot. Seems my bare feet grab better than even a pair of shoes with rubber soles. I was just lucky and glad that day I didn't hit my head on the concrete since I was alone and nobody else was launching on that early fall day.

Getting a good routine is what saves time, practice backing up that trailer on days when no one is there. Learned to back up a boat trailer at age 13, worked at marina next door to our cottage. Owned a boat for over 60 years, all on trailers. I am usually much faster launching and loading my boat alone than others when they have help ! All due to practice and having the trailer setup properly to make it easier. So many folks struggle when a few adjustments or addons would make the job so much easier and quicker. I often get offers to help when folks see I am alone, I do appreciate the offers, but honestly it screws up my routine and slows me down. Most people see my routine and how well it works, so comolaints are very rare. As the saying goes....practice makes perfect..

I'm still pretty green. Bought first boat a little over a year ago. Launched maybe a dozen times, BUT on one of the first trips I ended up flat on my back staring up at the sky through a foot of water. Seems my ramp is always slippery, but sometimes worse than others. I now toss the footwear and go barefoot. Seems my bare feet grab better than even a pair of shoes with rubber soles. I was just lucky and glad that day I didn't hit my head on the concrete since I was alone and nobody else was launching on that early fall day.
I carry a pair of slip on boots (water proof) with heavy soles. Added a number of screws into the heavy soles like you would for ice. When I see a slimey ramp, I slip on the boots and no problem. While others are doing the Texas Two Step, I can move with confidence.

I carry a pair of slip on boots (water proof) with heavy soles. Added a number of screws into the heavy soles like you would for ice. When I see a slimey ramp, I slip on the boots and no problem. While others are doing the Texas Two Step, I can move with confidence.

I also carry a pair of rubber boots. No screws in mine but they do have a cleated sole and pretty good traction. The kind you would use for pouring concrete or something. I use them every time I load the boat because I have to wade into shallow water to grab the winch. I envy those guys who can drive their boat on and climb over the bow to step on the trailer tongue. Used to do that in my younger days -- not on the menu these days.

That's another upside to a tongue extension if your situation allows it. Keeps the tow rig further away from the water.

People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them the best fishing is from Thanksgiving to early April, but they will not change my mind. Hardly any boats out and the fishing can be just stupid good.
I actually have a 14” extension I bought and was trailering with it. I got the 14” so I wouldn’t be adding that much more tongue weight on my hitch. Turns out I didn’t like the way it rattled and bounced so it became part of preparing the boat for launch in the parking lot. Now I wished I had a longer one.

My Ford has a switch on the dash to allow for posi-track at the rear wheels. It works perfectly. I have 4x4 as well but haven't had to use it so far.
On one occasion, I just about slipped on the ramp because of algae slime on the concrete ramp. I didn't realize that the ramp was slippery like ice. No one wants to break an ankle at the boat ramp.
This truck has that switch and I have yet to even spin a tire. But I haven’t took it to the one ramp that I’m talking about.

Funny, but even on our fairly slick ramp, my 3T GVW 2WD Chebby Pickemup truck walks back up it like it's nothing. I do have some aggressive ATC tires on her though. Now if can just get the hang of motoring up onto the trailer. Hoping the new boat will work mo' bettah since it has a helm.

I also carry a pair of rubber boots. No screws in mine but they do have a cleated sole and pretty good traction. The kind you would use for pouring concrete or something. I use them every time I load the boat because I have to wade into shallow water to grab the winch. I envy those guys who can drive their boat on and climb over the bow to step on the trailer tongue. Used to do that in my younger days -- not on the menu these days.
I power load my boat gently, motorvtilted up some so prop wash doesn't errode. I reach over the bow to snap the winch strap on. Then move back to console and finnish tilting motor up. Then I just step over onto the dock...thinking about crawling over the bow onto the trailer tongue....no way, not at 74 anyway, stepping on the dock is so much easier !! Now then, if I didn't have a dock......find another ramp !!

I can normally back my trailer right next to the dock and just push my boat onto the trailer enough that I can then hop in the bed of the truck, step on the trailer tongue, clip on the winch hook and winch it right up. Rarely do I get wet feet. I do the same launching, trailer right next to dock and let her float right off, sometimes needs a little nudge.

Seems like a lot of ways to skin the cat as they say. Airshot it would be absolutely fantastic to have somebody video you launching your boat. You obviously have it down to a science!

My method: Back in as usual. Get out. Find the lake is a foot lower than last time. Back up some more. Shove boat off. Jump into the water waist deep while longingly looking at the pier way out of reach. Drag boat to the pier. Climb up onto the pier from the side like a monkey. Yeah......getting old for this crap.

Laugh if you want, but this guy has a really hard time maneuvering a tiller going slow and in tight quarters. I almost want to say a prayer after each launch and retrieval. Part of it though is I think our launch is poorly designed. If more than 1 or 2 other people show up it turns into a real circus. Sometimes I don't even know who's turn it is with people idling on the lake and trucks trying to back in. Is there a protocol? Do those wanting off the lake have "right of way" over those wanting to launch? It's almost like we need a traffic cop.

My method: Back in as usual. Get out. Find the lake is a foot lower than last time. Back up some more. Shove boat off. Jump into the water waist deep while longingly looking at the pier way out of reach. Drag boat to the pier. Climb up onto the pier from the side like a monkey. Yeah......getting old for this crap.

🤣 I laugh only because you've described a few of my launches.