6 Gallon Gas Tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/quote] Well yea ok. I get it. And to put minds at ease. The bilge area is going to be vented in the same way the new boat being built today are. With portable tanks. Just got though with all the painting. So trailer is done. And hull is painted. Now on the the inside rebuild.]
[/quote]

Boat looks great, I was not trying to bust your chops earlier but many very inexperienced new to boating types of people vist online forums looking for ideas and I wanted to make sure they understood that venting and filling portable tanks under deck in the same compartment with batteries was not a wise idea. :beer:

Well yea ok. I get it. And to put minds at ease. The bilge area is going to be vented in the same way the new boat being built today are. With portable tanks. Just got though with all the painting. So trailer is done. And hull is painted. Now on the the inside rebuild.]
[/quote]

Boat looks great, I was not trying to bust your chops earlier but many very inexperienced new to boating types of people vist online forums looking for ideas and I wanted to make sure they understood that venting and filling portable tanks under deck in the same compartment with batteries was not a wise idea. [emoji481][/quote]

Ho, I fully agree. And for new fewers. The fill port to the old 21 gal. tank is still on the splash well. So the portable 6 gal tank will have a valve on with hose attached to that old fill port. With the vent cap on the small tank replaced with a solid cap. The system will vent in the same way as the original larger tank. And to go one step more. I will be installing the new VT2 livewell vents in the bilge hatch. Just because when the hatch is closed for a long period, all boat build a odor. No apology needed it all good. And I should have clarify how Iam working this potential hazard out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, now you've got me thinking about my set up. My batteries and gas tank are in the same compartment in my 85 Tracker. I bought the boat with a 6 gal red portable tank. I didn't believe it was original but I found no evidence of what the boat came with. I also found no evidence of where a fill cap or neck would have been. Does anyone know what set up an 85 Tracker V17 would have came with? Pics would be great! Thanks!
Well yea ok. I get it. And to put minds at ease. The bilge area is going to be vented in the same way the new boat being built today are. With portable tanks. Just got though with all the painting. So trailer is done. And hull is painted. Now on the the inside rebuild.]
[/quote]

Boat looks great, I was not trying to bust your chops earlier but many very inexperienced new to boating types of people vist online forums looking for ideas and I wanted to make sure they understood that venting and filling portable tanks under deck in the same compartment with batteries was not a wise idea. [emoji481][/quote]

Ho, I fully agree. And for new fewers. The fill port to the old 21 gal. tank is still on the splash well. So the portable 6 gal tank will have a valve on with hose attached to that old fill port. With the vent cap on the small tank replaced with a solid cap. The system will vent in the same way as the original larger tank. And to go one step more. I will be installing the new VT2 livewell vents in the bilge hatch. Just because when the hatch is closed for a long period, all boat build a odor. No apology needed it all good. And I should have clarify how Iam working this potential hazard out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

Like I posted earlier, at the time your boat was built. That’s the way they where doing them and you more then likely have the two silver (one facing forward and one facing backwards) vent that vent the bilge. I know a guy with a ranger Cherokee that is the same way. Nothing to worry about. Where I would worry is if you have a closed bilge with no venting at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, ventilation is not my main concern. What I'm worried about is filling the tank. I don't like the idea of putting the gas nozzle down in the compartment with the batteries and I also don't want to lift the tank out to fill it. I'm looking at putting a real gas tank with a filler neck and gas cap. More to come ...