70 Starcraft seafarer 16 build, Insurance issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatlandMuskyGuide

Reaction score
I'm new to tinboats, and I'm not sure I'm in the right place for this topic, but here we go. I'm sure you guys will point me in the right direction if I'm not.

Last year about this time, I purchase a 1970 Starcraft Seafarer 16, a 1989 Evinrude 9.9 long shaft tiller electric start motor, and trailer, for $350!!! Other than the boat being the most hideous sun faded color of baby blue, it was in excellent condition, as well as the motor. Trailer was rusty but in decent shape. I purchased this boat with the grand scheme of building it, and eventually guiding out of it on the hp restricted lakes in my area. I succeeded in the build. If anyone is interested in the pics, I will post those eventually on here.

Anyway, my issue:

I've got my custom little fishing boat that is EXACTLY how I wanted it. I built it and rigged it with everything for less than $4000. Theres not one piece of wood in this boat. It is 95% welded aluminum, and strong enough you can park a tank on it. I've recently gotten my ducks in a row to start guiding as much as possible for 2014, BUT the insurance coverage I need (to cover my butt as a guide) I can not get because of the age of the boat. Has anyone on here ran into issues like this? I've called all kinds of insurance companies, including Boat US, and the only thing they could do was offer a liability policy, just like everyone else.

So, I guess my question is, for those of you that have done your own builds on older aluminum boats, have you had any trouble or success in getting you boat insured? Who would you recommend for an older boat?

Thanks for any input on this, and I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

The best advice I can give is to get an umbrella policy for $1,000,000 or more.

Sometimes, if you do a substantial rebuild, you can get the title changed.

But what you need is BUSINESS insurance for a fishing guide service. Many guys charter out of older boats, that shouldn't matter to an agent familiar with the product.

Best wishes with that.

-TH