78 25hp evinrude ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1436delta

Reaction score
THERE IS GUY IN TOWN THAT HAS THIS FOR SALE SAYS IT HAS BEEN HOT BECAUSE THE PAINT IS FADED ON THE HEAD HE SAYS THE COMP IS LOW BUT EVERY THING ELSE SEAMS TO BE OK IT HAS FIRE AND TURNS OVER WITH NO KNOCKS WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK BLOWED HEAD GASKET OR WEEK RINGS #-o

Weak or scored rings & possibly cylinder walls.For what a rebuild would cost you you're better off to find a good one.

The first thing to do is go look. It may not be what he says it is.

The Cop's told me that probably the people who stole my 20 Hp had it advertised as as a "Big Outboard motor" with a problem, for a very small amount of money. Hoping some Rube might think he's skinning a Dilbert and getting a deal on a better-than-advertised motor.

Second, a motor that old, and not running is only a parts hulk.
If you are one of those Hapless but talented do-it-yourselfers, go ahead and make an offer.
If you dont know what your getting into, and think you might need this motor in a hurry, dont take the chance. Buy something that's working.

Ok guys I think the guy is straight up I don't think it is hot he bought it on criagslist he wants his. Money back 250.00 I am a do it yourself kinda guy but like crazy siad if cyl are bad then that is another story :?

Go buy the head gasket replace it ( takes less than 30 min) put a compression tester on it and if they show good pull the trigger on it. If not your out 10 bucks and about 45 min.

I bought a boat once with a 79 35hp Evinrude. The man told me he bought it all new and used it many years until the motor blew up. I took a chance on the boat for $500. The motor looked good but had no compression. I pulled the head and the cylinder walls looked ok. Put a new head gasket on it and it ran like a new one till I sold it two years later. Id say go for it!

GUYS I THANK YOU FOR THE INFO I THINK I WILL TRY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM SAT TO SEE IF I CAN LOOK AT IT I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

OK WENT AND LOOKED AT OUTBOARD THE AREA AROUND THE HEAD THE PAINT IS BROWN! THE POWERPACK AND WIRES THAT RUN OVER THE TOP OF THE HEAD LOOK LIKE THE MAY HAVE GOT HOT AND MELTED THE POWER PACK LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN HOT TOO ! THE PLUG WIRE BOOTS LOOK MELTED ALSO [-X IT TURNS OVER AND THER IS NO NOIES IN SIDE NO SCAPING SOUNDS WHAT DO U GUYS THINK AND WHAT WOULD U OFFER HIM #-o

So this guy gets burned for $250, and want to pass his bad fortune on to someone else. That's his tough luck!
That motor needs a power head at least. I imagine he could sell the lower unit for $100 or so.

You can spend $400-600 and get yourself a decent 25hp motor. So why bother with this one?
edit: But if you're looking for a fixer. I would not give him more than a $100 for it.

HE IS NOT GOING TO PASS IT OFF ON ME!!!!!!!! [-X I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO FIX UP AND MAKE ALITTLE MONEY ON IAM HANDY LIKE THAT BUY STUFF FIX AND SELL IT IF IT SUCK GAS I LIKE A CHALANGE THANKS FOR THE 9.5 OFFER THUDPUCKER BUT I HAVE A 92 15HP RUDE WHILE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THAT NOBODY HA SMADE ME OFFER ON MINE IT IS ON THE FOR SALE POST ON HERE MABY I CAN SELL YOU SOMTHING :LOL2: :LOL2: THANKS FOR THE INFO

Latest posts