86BassTrackerV17 1st fishing trip w/son 10/11/13 vids p15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the front casting deck cut, fitted (What a job, whew!) and mounted today. Just gotta cut out the hatch holes and trim it out, then on to the trolling motor deck. Pictures to follow at some point.

Got to a point I'm about ready to put on Grizzly Grip and mount accessories, so decided it might be time to post some pics, so without further ado:

Son in law James cutting hatch holes for me. He was a life saver when my carpal tunnel and tennis elbow acted up, leaving my right hand numb & unable to control jigsaw:
IMAG0843_zpsdb31546b.jpg

One done, one partial:
IMAG0844_zps446bda1d.jpg

Edge of deck before applying L-bracket for trim:
IMAG0845_zps92978665.jpg

Trolling motor deck transition area:
IMAG0846_zpsbe9fc1be.jpg

Rear decks nearly done, minor stuff left, you can see console base installed and raised 2" to compensate for lower aluminum deck. I also raised the seats 1 1/4.":
IMAG0847_zps5bb120d8.jpg

Casting deck mockup, note L-bracket trim installed, hatches, seat base and wiring ready:
IMAG0859_zpsd25ffc30.jpg

Making brackets to finish trolling motor deck install:
IMAG0854_zpsc76bdb6e.jpg

Trolling motor deck installed, ready for mockup:
IMAG0861_zps50884c54.jpg

That's where I'm at right now. Got some more problems with my teeth, going to the oral surgeon tomorrow morning. Who knows when I'll get back to the boat. Getting close to November and the start of my work busy season. #-o

Thanks guys, surgeon looked me over this morning at 11 to assess where I was at, then decided to wait and operate in the morning to give himself some more time. Not a good sign on one hand, but at least I'm not sick enough he has to operate now.

Looks like I might be able to finish the boat this fall and get it into the water after all. Picked up a Ram mount and transducer TM mount at bass pro while I was in the area as well. :lol:

bigwave said:
Your boat sure has come a long ways, I dont think there is anything else you could do......great job, hope you feel better.

The only things/extra touches I can think of are:

1. Build frame or "tower" to support the console fish finder with the Makita Contractor radio I bought as my "noise on boat."Am going to do, but haven't done yet.
2. Build frame/tower for casting deck/trolling motor deck, haven't decided which one to mount the front trolling motor on. I did pick up a "swing arm" style ram mount for the front trolling motor with the plan of using the original bracket that comes with the fish finder as my vertical gymbal while the swing arm will provide horizontal movement. Decided against, got a mount that worked better.
3. Build battery storage inside the console deck area, just behind the console deck in the corners there. This would open the storage back up under the casting deck to hold fishing tackle trays and "stuff." Another alternative would be to buy large tackle tray type tackle boxes and place them in the same area on the console deck with a "loop and rubber strap" arrangement. I'd like to hear input on this, but right now I'm going to use the boat and get a feel for what would be better after fishing it some.Still thinking on this.
4. Thinking on adding a front live well between where I mentioned putting the batteries. I could make this deep enough, while adding a "step" to make it easier for my wife to come on the front casting deck. Decided against this, due to cost and I'm not likely to keep a lot of larger fish.
6. Debating on whether to remove some paint and add the grizzly grip in key walking spots in the rear areas I have painted now. Probably going to do this at some point, as it's looking like I'll have of extra Grizzly Grip. Ended up with extra, will do this after it gets too cold to go out on the lake.
7. Thinking on adding grizzly grip to certain sections of the rub rail to increase safety. Another alternative was to sand it using a coarse grit to make it safer to step on getting in/out of the boat.
9. Grizzly Grip on parts of the trailer frame to increase safety while walking on the frame getting the boat on and off the trailer and the usual places people step. Did this.
10. Mounting the anchor light storage, the Nav light socket up front, the trolling motor w/quick release mount, the fish finder GPS hockey pucks, running associated wiring for all of the above. Done
11. Install starting battery group 24 and combo starter/trolling battery group 27 in back. Starter for starting only with a float charger on it and starter/trolling with a charger/float charger on it to run on board electronics/lights/horn/etc and to serve as a back up for the starting batter. Group 24 behind me and Group 27 behind my passenger, both in the fuel/battery/bilge area. After installing both, I've decided to eliminate the Group 24 starter battery and only use a combo Group 27 battery for the motor and accessories.
12. Install a short rubber cord to keep bilge hatch from bouncing. The plastic fuel tank holds it about 1/16" off the splash pan in back and I'm betting it would rattle going across the lake. Did this and it worked perfect.
11. Paint the exterior of the boat with a strip similar to the original, but in green, with the required areas for pin strip and letters pre-painted in black, then covered with peel off letters, then spray over with green and so I end up with painted letters and a painted pin stripe. I'm looking at Black for the base coast for letters and pinstripe and the same green I've been using for the over coat. Doing this after it turns cold.

Would love to hear comments on the boat and things I still am considering.

Forgot to mention, extractions went well and though I'm numbed up right now, I actually feel healthier without that infection/abscess with it's swelling and put in my jaw. Just have to deal with the recovery from the guy cutting into my jaw to get teeth fragments out and I'm golden. Should be able to do small stuff this morning on the boat, rest this afternoon and I'm on my way to completion by this weekend! I am SOOOOOOO excited.!

Well, these are the final pics I'm posting. I still have a couple minor things to do, but I'm calling the restoration finished. I'll be putting the motor back on this week and by then, the last couple of things will be done. Here's the last pics:

Trollng motor deck in it's final form.
IMAG0913.jpg

Trolling motor deck, different angle.
IMAG0914.jpg

Casting deck, you can see how I managed to adapt the original transition panel to fit the change from plywood decking to aluminum.
IMAG0915.jpg

Casting deck with rod locker in background.
IMAG0916.jpg

Front to rear view
IMAG0917.jpg

Another front to rear view, shows paddle holder and console light better
IMAG0918.jpg

Console viewed from port side, I opted for new tach, new console fiberglass top and new motor controls.
IMAG0919.jpg

Port side view of console again, showing fuse block for easy access. If I had it to do over, I'd use blade fuses instead of the cylinder type.
IMAG0920.jpg

Console fore view showing navigation lights, wiring/cabling routing and home made horn sound port.
IMAG0921.jpg

Aft view of console showing tach and home made switch panel that replaced a plastic factory panel that was crumbling.
IMAG0923.jpg

Rear casting deck, the two items on the deck, a battery charger for the starting/accessory battery and a piece of plastic board to fill a gap in the trim & livewell hatch, are the last two items I need to install before I put the motor on. I'll do that today or tomorrow, then the motor is back on.
IMAG0924.jpg

I'd like to say I'm excited, but at this point, I'm relieved. The shakedown voyage will be in the next two weeks after the motor is installed to tune the motor, test all the electronics, trim, etc and make sure the boat is water worthy.

Final plans are to add a bracket to hold another fishfinder (800 series side image Humminbird) and a place to mount the contractor radio I bought, a cover for the boat and motor and a bimini cover for myself and my fair skinned wife.

Thanks for looking, the advice and support I got here at tinboats.

Looks great Dave =D> =D> =D> . Can't wait to see pictures of it in the water. I know you will really enjoy it!