89 Evinrude 90 HP V4 hard starting issue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Friends:

I have a 1989 Evinrude 90 HP V4 outboard. A VRO model. I am the original owner. It starts hard, especially if its not been run for a while (like a few days).

Cranks fine, but just does not seem to easily start up. I'll often have to crank it 20-30 times just to get it to catch. When it does finally start and runs for a while it runs great, idles just fine, etc.

A friend told me these old V4's had starting issues, but I did not inquire further. It was as if hard starting was a "thing" with these motors.

I've serviced it over the years: Most recently, it has new plugs, new fuel filter, new fuel line and bulb. And I've run ethanol free gas in it for at least the last 10 years.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

'

The engine is not hard starting at all. Never has been.

When OMC went to the fuel primer system instead of the choke system the engine has to have a different starting procedure. Let that sink in a minute.
I have dealt with customers with your frustrations for decades and once they understand the system and start it with a new technique they are happy.
The primer solenoid is nothing more than a gate valve. It only works when there is fuel pressure present at the large fuel line attached to it.

Important. Make sure your engine is trimmed to full down.....fuel reaches the combustion chambers much easier this way. Same for engines with the choke system.

1. Pump up your fuel system using your primer bulb between the fuel tank and engine. This supplies the primer with the fuel pressure! Pump the bulb until it is firm. This gives the needed fuel volume and pressure to the primer and also assures the carb bowls are full and ready to deliver fuel through the idle circuits. Advance your warm up lever. Not much will be needed.

2. Before engaging the starter....turn on your key switch and push the switch in for around 5 seconds or so and only after doing this engage the starter. Keep the key switch in until the engine fires up and stays running. You will get used to how long this takes. You may have to tickle the primer a couple to a few times while the engine warms.

Usually when I watch folks try and start a primer engine I see them pumping the key switch in and out like it is a pump.....it is not.

Also see them rowing the throttle back and forth as if there is an accelerator pump in the carburetors......there is not.

Read this a couple times to make sure you understand the technique and give it a try! Read #2 again!

Last edited:
Thanks Pappy, I'll try this out.

Its only been lately that the engine has been this way. For the first 30 years starting was never a problem.

I have a 1985 Evinrude 70hp, so not the exact same engine. I follow Pappy's instructions with one exception - I push the key in for about 3 seconds, then release and start the engine. Over the years I've discovered my engine seems to be prone to flooding if I push the key in too long. If I push it in too long I have the problem you described as having it turn over and not fire and I smell gass. It will then take a long, long time to crank and start. I think there are always nuances to starting 2-strokes. My string trimmer is easy to start, but my leaf blower requires a more precise procedure, and they are both the same brand.

Thanks Pappy, I'll try this out.

Its only been lately that the engine has been this way. For the first 30 years starting was never a problem.
Give it a good honest try. May take a week or so since you indicate you do not start it every day. Let us know and we may have to take a troubleshooting route.

I have a 1985 Evinrude 70hp, so not the exact same engine. I follow Pappy's instructions with one exception - I push the key in for about 3 seconds, then release and start the engine. Over the years I've discovered my engine seems to be prone to flooding if I push the key in too long. If I push it in too long I have the problem you described as having it turn over and not fire and I smell gass. It will then take a long, long time to crank and start. I think there are always nuances to starting 2-strokes. My string trimmer is easy to start, but my leaf blower requires a more precise procedure, and they are both the same brand.
Same exact primer between the two engines. Larger engines require a bit more fuel hence the difference in 3 vs 5. Like you said each engine is a bit different and its perfectly okay to tailor how much fuel you feed it and when via the primer.

Pappy; The plot thickens. Over the weekend I started up the 90 Evinrude on the muffs before heading out and let it warm up. Cold, but did the 5 second trick with the primer and it flew to life. Then drove 10 minutes down the road to the launch site and once in the water primed it and flicked the key only to have the motor not start.....easily. It fires, but only for a second or two, then dies before i can get it in gear.

After about 20 or more tries I got it to fire and stay on, drove the boat 10-15 minutes to the fishing spot so it became good and warmed up. From then on it started at the touch of the key, no worries, all the rest of the day. Soooo... Any idea what might be the problem/solution?

You may have flooded it. To check and clear a flooded situation you can advance the throttle and hit the starter without using the primer....be prepared to reduce throttle quickly once it fires. So far so good. You will get used to exactly how much prime the engine needs and when.