9.9 Pees Like a Girl!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
So got my '75 9.9 Evinrude up and running, but I'm not getting a stream. More like a spray. Sometimes it's stronger that at other times. Had it in the barrel yesterday for about 15 mins and it showed no signs of overheating. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• Evinrude 9.9 04.jpg
    Evinrude 9.9 04.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
I would drop the lower unit and inspect the pump and housing. It not overheating while in a barell at idle with no load is a far different scenario than sustaining mid to high rpm with a load on it.

Is it supposed to sputter like that though? Doesn't seem like it really has a pee hole. More like a little ramp. Actually I have a spare impeller that would fit it, so prob go ahead and install it. Just never did one before and wasn't sure I actually needed it.

Check for something blocking the tell tail opening or hose.
X2.

While running, try poking a paperclip into the outlet and see if the stream changes. If you can push the obstruction around and it keeps changing, you have found your problem.

If flow is still not good, disconnect the tell-tale hose from where it connects to the block and see how it pees from there. If it's strong there, there is something in the hose or outlet.

If the stream is weak from the side of the block, try poking a paperclip up into the nipple on the block and rattle it around. If the stream is still not good, replace the impeller.

But since the stream keeps changing, I suspect a chunk of something in the hose/outlet that's rattling around in there. If you have an air compressor, remove the hose from the block side and blow from the outlet, and a chunk of something will probably fly out. If it's a lot of stuff, sometimes it's easier to just replace the hose. They are cheap from the auto parts store.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that all a try. I still wonder though if this motor is designed to pee like a guy or pee like a girl....LOL Think I've seen vids of this motor that didn't produce a real stream. It does seem like it should push more water though, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and swap the impellor out. Since I don't plan to keep it, I'd like to move on to something else, but don't want to drop problems into somebody else's lap either.

Some of the small motors don't have a particularly strong stream. Pop the hose of the engine side carefully, and you will know the score.

It's a good idea to warm the hose up with a hair dryer or heat gun before removing to soften it up for easy removal.

If you break the nipple off at the engine, you will be cursing my name, so be careful.

When the weather gets decent again I'll have another go at it. We're supposed to get some snow today. I'm not buying it, but it's in the 30s again. Thanks for the advice on heating up the hose. I reviewed the procedure for servicing the water pump and it doesn't look terribly hard. As long as don't drop that pin that makes the impeller go around!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that all a try. I still wonder though if this motor is designed to pee like a guy or pee like a girl....LOL Think I've seen vids of this motor that didn't produce a real stream. It does seem like it should push more water though, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and swap the impellor out. Since I don't plan to keep it, I'd like to move on to something else, but don't want to drop problems into somebody else's lap either.

Well said!

If I recall correctly, it's pretty easy on those. Remove the covers on the midsection to unscrew the shift shaft using two open-ended wrenches. Then unbolt and pull the lower unit off. Unscrew the water pump housing, slide it up and off the shaft and remove the old impeller.

Grease everything lightly, and slide the impeller down into place, making sure the pin/key/wedge is seated properly. Then, while turning the shaft clockwise when looking down on it, push the housing down around the impeller. Put a little grease or thread sealer on the screws and screw the housing back down, and then put the lower back on.

First time is scary, but it gets easier and faster every time after.

If I'm not mistaken, those didn't really have a telltale "stream". All you will see is the spray/dribble out of the exhaust ports on the midsection.

If I'm not mistaken, those didn't really have a telltale "stream". All you will see is the spray/dribble out of the exhaust ports on the midsection.
That was the way my Evinrude 9.9 worked when I got it. There is a modification you can do to get a telltale stream from it. I did it to mine and it worked perfectly. I have included one link to a video on how to do it.

That guy is braver than me! This video made me cringe a few times. He didn't address though what he did with the previous discharge hose. I'm not looking to re-engineer this thing, just want to make sure it's cooling well. While in the barrel I felt the motor a few times and it never really got that hot, so figure it's prob OK. Just hard to tell when it doesn't really do anything other than sputter out a little water. I wonder what OMC was thinking when they built it this way. Next week supposed to be nice, so I'll make sure the intake and discharge is not obstructed and then decide if should put the new impeller on it. Current thinking is why not since have the part already. Actually I have the whole kit, but it's a cheapo brand. It looks to be of decent quality though and it was highly rated. I just grabbed it for the water tube gasket, not knowing at the time you couldn't replace it just by pulling the power head.

My motor did not have a telltale at all on the upper part of the motor. It was checked at the exhaust on the back lower part of the shaft housing that you could not see while operating the boat. The modification made it possible to see it while operating the boat. That way if the intake gets plugged up with debris from the lake, you can maybe catch it quicker and save your motor.

Well mine actually has a fairly large round hole. Maybe it's too much to expect a stream out of it. Planning to check it out better tomorrow, which I'm hoping will be a "boat day." I have several police inspections I need done before heading up to the license branch to hopefully get all my stuff legal.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I just looked at some youtube vids and yep, you're right. None of them are doing much except a light spray. Some say don't expect much until the thermostat opens. I wonder if I ran it long and hard enough in the barrel to even get to that point?