A few FW reports

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Broadkill 12-15-08
Left here at 2pm and arrived to find winds in excess of 35MPH .. I would have just left but it was very warm so I gave it a shot . Water was very high and very clear .
My 2nd cast ..
100_2706.jpg

3rd
100_2708.jpg

4th
100_2707.jpg

It was a great Crappie day . Ron (oldmanofthesea) showed up but struck out so just as he was leaving Matt showed up (Both Matt and Ron work at Bill's) . Matt stayed about 40 minutes and also got the skunk while I was nailing them on atleast every other cast . I even gave Matt the same Fin"S" I was using but did no good . I advised him to get rid of the Braid (both him and Ron use Braid) . Before Matt left another regular , Dave , showed up and landed a nice slab on his 1st cast . So now just Dave and I left and we take turns reeling them in with a few double hook ups . As the winds started to subside the bite also slowed and finally at dark when you couldnt see the bobber the bite halted and Dave and I headed home .
Bait was the same 1.75" Fin"S" 20" below a casting bobber and the trick was to cast and put your rod tip on or near the water so the wind didnt grab the slack . You had to deadstick the lure and they'd bite ..any additional finessing resulted in NO bites .
Total for 3 hours was well over 50 Crappie with only 3 being over 12" and the rest averaging 6 to 10 inches .

Broadkill 12-23-2008
Got to the Park around 2pm and found clear but very low water . I had nothing else to do and with the winds and temps most places are frozen so I gave it a shot .
Took me about about 30 minutes to find the fish and what they wanted .. I used a 1" white twister on a 100th of an ounce jighead 15 inches under a casting bobber .. I let the wind push the bobber until I noticed the subtle pick up . Fished until about right before dark when the bite just died .. Kinda odd since thats one of the Crappies favorite times to feed ..
No real big fish today but plenty of them :)
1002761gx1.jpg

1002762it5.jpg

1002760vl9.jpg

1002763eg3.jpg

1002759kp9.jpg

Wagamons Pond 12-25-2008
I always go by the Pond to check the conditions (wind direction) and it has always been against me so I end up at the Broadkill .. I was headed to the Broadkill but on my way past the pond I saw Tweak with a bucket and some fish in the bucket . He told me he caught in excess of 30 nice Yellow Neds the day before and had 3 in his bucket . He lands a 4th and I miss 2 bites and pop off a rig then lose 2 rigs to BIG Pickerel . I made a move to the opposite side of the spillway and in 4 casts I land 2 nice Neds . Tweak had to leave and it was just as well as the fish stopped biting :(
I hung it out and in 30 minutes it turned back on :)
I get 1 12" LMB .. 1 10" Bluegill and about a bakers dozen more Neds . The YP were all 10" or better but not thick like they will be in early spring .
The woman had the Camera so she could get some X-mas Pics of the Grandkids ..
Anyhow they are there and biting :)
4ft under a casting bobber with a 1.75" Fin"S" .

Wagamon's and Broadkill 12-28-08
I got there at about 8am and wanted to try for some Neds at Wagamons but I had white caps and rain with winds right in my face at 25+ MPH .. I tried for about an hour without a bite so I decided to move to the Broadkill and try for some Crappie .
The tide was way high with winds gusting well over 35 MPH .. Water was gin clear !
I started with a Dart that Bryan_VA sent me and got a small LMB ..
1002874ay2.jpg

Next was a small Gill ..
1002871tp7.jpg

Then another small LMB ..
1002876yg2.jpg

Then a better Gill ..
1002872os9.jpg

And another small LMB ..
1002875at8.jpg

And FINALLY a Crappie .. Small but still a Crappie :)
1002870cs6.jpg

Continued catching those tiny Crappie until 11am and decided to call it quits as the wind was picking up more and more and I really hate High Tide .
Got about a dozen little Crappie and saw 1 nice Slab caught .
These warm temps got the fish all screwed up .. I cant wait till we get some decent weather norm to this time of year so the fish will be more predictable .. Gonna take some time I think .

Wagamons Pond 12-26-08
I got there at about 5:45am and it was still dark so I walked the banks on both the Pond and the Brackish water below the spillway and saw nothing .. No wind and clear water .
I sat in the truck and passed out until 6:35am and then had enough light to see what I was doing (bobber).
It was very FRUSTRATING :angry:
I had 3 fish on and lost them all then got bite off twice by Pickerel .. Again 1 was a monster ;)
I had to be home at 8am and wanted to complete my mission .. I made the "last" cast 4 times and finally landed 1 after missing a few more ..
Mission Accomplished :)
1002836sv1.jpg

Got home at 7:50am .. Wish I could have stayed but the woman needs the truck .. There's always Tomorrow :):)

Broadkill 1-2-09 (Trapper needed)
Saw some nasty weather approaching and havent wet a line in days so I decided to hit the Broadkill before the snow started . Well I got there around 10:30am and it was already snowing ..
100_2902.jpg

100_2903.jpg

I managed 1 Crappie before the "Mob" arrived :(
100_2899.jpg

A mob of atleast 6+ Otters came and waged war on whatever they could catch ..
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i276.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_2895.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i276.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_2894.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i276.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/Hengstthomas/100_2892.flv">

They are some Beautiful animals but a REAL BIG PITA if you are trying to catch fish .. They scare off everything :(

Right before high tide they finally moved off and I got a few more fish ..
100_2900.jpg

100_2893.jpg

100_2901.jpg

Winds and snow picked up and I was frozen so called it a day at 12:30pm .

Broadkill 1-17-08
Was bored and wanted to wet a line but I got there and it was almost entirely frozen :( .. I have NEVER seen this water frozen like this ..
100_3118.jpg

100_3119.jpg

Flag was at halfstaff ..
100_3120.jpg

I didnt even attemp it and just headed home and waited until night time for IRI instead .

Seaford 1-18-09 (The Bird)
After the Skunk at IRI last night I came home and warmed up and made coffee and headed towards Seaford .
I arrived at 10am and the water was way up .. Maybe the highest I have ever seen it and continued to come in for the next 2 hours . Its was 2/3rds ice with a small channel in the middle .
I used the 1.75" Fin"S" and a casting bobber and picked off Crappie ..
100_3123.jpg

And Gills ..
100_3124.jpg

It went about 6 Gills for each Crappie and I got about 6 Crappie total and lots of Gills .. I had 1 pickerel bite off and lost a small LMB as I lifted it out of the water . I also had Gulls diving and eating some kind of small fish that looked like small Herring or small Mill Roache .
My woman asked that I not stay out all day ??? She never asks me that ?? I left them biting at 3 PM and headed home as to not stay out all day ;) ..
She never did say why she wanted me not to stay out but I kept my word ..

I get home around 3:45pm and she has the whole living room moved about .. At first I am baffled and a bit upset as there was no place to sit down .. I shed a few layers and help her with the big stuff .
I am tired and hungry so I make myself a big bowl of Chilli topped with Cheddar Cheese and some Italian Bread with butter and I walked by the front door and saw one of the cats next door throwing something into the air .. I couldnt tell at first what it was but after the 3rd toss by the cat I see a small animal trying to flee the cat ... I shoved my dinner at my woman and stormed out the door and surprised the cat and took the cats bounty ..
100_3126.jpg

100_3129.jpg

Janeine and I both thought it would die so I needed someplace to put the little guy so he was atleast warm as he passed .. I was confused because you cant tell from the pics but this was a TINY TINY bird .. We both thought it was a baby ?
I rigged up my Leach Tote with a Towel and placed the bird inside ..
100_3131.jpg

The bird was shivering and had 1 wing that looked broken and it would not open its eyes .. It kept wanting to put its head under its wings ??
I sat down and ate and about 20 minutes later I see Bella sniffing around my fishing gear .. She knows better and is good about it so I was confused as to why .. I yelled at her and she backed off .. THATS when I saw the bird on the rod guide on one of my rods and was hoping back and forth .. I went over to help the bird and it flew around the house 2 times and landed on my monitor .. I cupped the bird and walked outside .. It didnt want to leave as I kept switching hands to make sure its small feet were ok too .. It had its eyes wide open now and finally flew to the nearest tree .. I stepped back and watched from the door as the bird walked up a branch and finally flew off ..
This made our day .. I guess its time to do something about those cats ;)

Broadkill 1-19-09
My woman doesnt drive in the snow so I took her to work and stopped and chatted with Bill Jr (Pockets) at Bills Sports Shop for about an hour or so and got home just before 3pm .. I decided to go see how bad the ice was at the Park on the Broadkill and found it ice free and very high water . I also saw the otters and 1 was huge .. so big it looked like a big beaver .
I fished for 1 hour and landed about a dozen fish ..
100_3159.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_3161.jpg

The Gills liked Bryans hand tied Dart so I switched to the 1.75" Fin"S" to catch the Crappie and LMB .

Broadkill 1-20-09
Judah and I met up at the park and fished for a few hours .. Missed a few fish each as the bite was lite and it was COLD !
I did manage to avoid the skunk with this little guy ..
100_3162.jpg

But that was it .. No more fish for either of us and Judah gets the big old :skunk:
The tide was high the whole time and just as we left was optimal tide but that'll be another day ;)

Always a pleasure fishing with you Judah ;)

Seaford 1-21-09
I went a picked up Judah at 7:30am and we headed towards Seaford .. We arrived around 9am and had very clear water and light winds .. Tide was incoming and halfway up ..
Some scenery ..
100_3163.jpg

100_3164.jpg

100_3165.jpg

100_3166.jpg

100_3167.jpg

Took some searching but wasnt long before..
100_3168.jpg

100_3169.jpg

Judah was right behind me with one ..
100_3170.jpg

Then I get ..
100_3171.jpg

100_3172.jpg

And then back to ..
100_3173.jpg

100_3174.jpg

And then ..
100_3175.jpg

100_3176.jpg

I go one a little flurry of Neds and Crappie but Judah is right there with a flurry of his own .. All Crappie ..
100_3177.jpg

He get 2 more like that and the this Gill ..
100_3178.jpg

And then he pulls in his biggest Crappie of the day at just shy of 11"
100_3179.jpg

We make a move and it was a Gill fest .. Judah nails about a dozen in a row while I keep trying for Neds and Crappie . We both catch Gills for about 2 hours and decide to try the productive spot again and I get into some small Neds ..
100_3180.jpg

And small LMB
100_3182.jpg

100_3181.jpg

100_3189.jpg

We got back to the bridge and pick off more gills and I look down at Judah feet and see this guy ..
100_3183.jpg

100_3184.jpg

100_3185.jpg

100_3186.jpg

He must have been tired because he let me almost touch him before he said Bye Bye ..
100_3187.jpg

We had Duck and Geese around all day and Seagulls diving and picking off some type 3" baitfish that was very shiny (shiners?) .. We saw a huge Eagle and some diving birds as well .
We had a very nice day with some decent Crappie .. Lots of fish and great scenery with all the Foul ;)

Again Judah it was great to wet a line with you again ..