A long weekend report

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
I have been fishing almost every night now for the past 2 weeks and so begins the weekend . Wednesday I got about 2 hours shut eye and Thurday night I didnt sleep at all .. I planned on staying home .. I really did but things happen and I found myself out there again .
So now I am supposed to meet up with some folks at IRI and the afternoon was filled with lots of errands including the results to my second MRI in 2 weeks .. I didnt find sleep again and knew if I laid down I'd not get back up that night so I left early and got to IRI at 6pm . I head out back and run into wannafishallday (Jimmy) . Jimmy being from MD has never caught a Striper at IRI .. If I could find him a Striper that would make 5 cherries I broke in 3 days with 4 from out of State . I gave him the lowdown and we chatted while we rigged up and I explained to him that we most likely wont get and Stripers because there were no rips and it was near high slack tide . At this period of the tide I usually play with the Shad with are commonly caught on every cast with frequent doubles and some 12" or less schoolies too . Right Hook shows up and well as Derrick and we all switch to assorte swimabait from 4 to 6 inches .. After about 20 minutes I head out to the rail and ws pleasantly surprise to find only one other person there and both corners free :)
I riiged up a 6" Panther Martin Swimbait and poped 4 in a row from 22" to 24" and very thick bellied fish .. I gave Steve a call and said get out here and a few minutes later just as I pull in another he shows up with boys .. I give them the rundown and in the next hour or so I pick up about 10 more and no one else getting a bite .. The bit is still on but I am missing A lot of fish so I swicth out to a 5: Tsunami Swimbait . At one point I get nailed and my reel starts screaming like a banshee .. ripps drag 2 more times then the fights on ... I am about to have a coranary thinking this was the one to finall break my 20 year old PB of 44" and 38 Pounds .. About 10 minutes or so I cant tell how much time went by because I wasnt breathing and my heart was a steady beat .. Derrick goes to his truck to get his gaff and a few minutes later I get this fish to the rocks .. We were all anxious and me feeling better knowing I wouldnt have to climb down those rocks alone .. I had my corkers in my truck :(
The fish shows itself and immediately we see it hooked in the center of it back .. It was 27.75" and in the full moon current felt like the ONE :(

BTK (Brent) and Fishbait show up out of nowhere and we chitchat for a bit and Italk shop with them about the bite .. Brent hooks up and Didnt take him too long but atleast someone else caught a fish .. I was sweating it was going to be a bad night ..
At about midnight Steve decides to bail and pulls out and I continue to catch a fish about every 10 minutes or so . Then my cell goes off and Steve says he on a good bite so I tell the guys and they all meet up with Steve while I remain with the fish I had entertaining me . It started to rain on and off with a few downpours and mist and fogg both thick at times . Somewhere around then Super Googan 9Chris) and Wingsandwater (Rob) show up and we all catch a few fish .
A really bad storm hit and lightening hit the bridge and had a deafining Boom .. Lit up the night like daylight .. I swear I saw it hit the ground near the Marina and the south side Marina too .. A dozen time the sky lit up like a sunny day .
Chris and Rob decided the lightening is too close for comfort and I guess the 3 guy longling felt the same as everyone but me quit fishng and sat in the vehichles .. At this time It was fish afert fish .. Every single cast with about a dozen in a row before Chris and Rob came back out .. I continued to nail them as they plucked a few here and there .. Everyone came back to the rail that were sitting in the cars ..
A boat came very close to the rocks and hit us all with a Spotlight and the result was not pretty from around the rail .. They drifted out taking thier time and then sat out and I assume watch me pick fish after fish so they come right over the exact spot I am fishing .. I cast ot eh side and get 3 more schoolies right from under their boat when they decide to cast in my direction .. There were 5 poeple on that boat with line going in every directions totally cutting us all off .. I asked why they had to be so close and I hear all kinds of smart arse remarks .. Then I get pissed and tell them it illegal to be in the entrance to the coast guard station and was cursed out for it so I told them I was going to go tell the CG guys if they didnt get out of there . I was then threatened and had had enough and walked around and dialed #812 .. Incase you dont know thast the number on the phone outside the gate of the Station .. I explained ad was told they's take care of it .. I walked back around and was told they continued to bad mouth me then found out I had left and they drifted out of sight and lost in the fog .. Coast Guard cam out as I returned and asked about the boat and we all agreed the boater was out of line so they were on the ball and went in seach of the boat .. I dont know how it turned out but I am glad to see them in action .. A few night ago they were patrolling the area with lights flashing for quite awhile telling folks to stay so far off the bulkhead .. Looks like maybe they will be enforcing the barrier aroung the Station .
So back to the report .. It went on pretty much the same all night with me landing about 70+ Stripers to 27.75" .. The harder it rained the faster they bit ..
At low tide the guys returned from out back saying the bite faded .. Right Hook landed a nice 30" :)
1002520ii6.jpg

And an unknown fella also picked up a 30" .. Brent Came out to say goodbye and wannafishallday just left ?? Rob and Chris also left shorly afterwards as well as Derrick .. Fishbait and I remained as the Longliners and Toggers started pulling in . The Swimbait bite seems to disappear at sunrise and we rig up longline rigs and wait on the sun ..
The sun peaks out and we begin with a slow start then like a dinnerbell its on and we begin to pick up fish as well as almost everyone with a longline rig ..
At this point I lost anything close to an accurate count but I was pushing 3 digits with NO keepers .
Fishbait and I left when things slowed down and I didnt want to chance losing my last super secret fly on a snag :)
Bryan_VA sent me 6 pertty flies last friday .. I had 2 left today and snapped off the best producer on my first cast .. Broke my heart .. Probabaly caught 200 fish on that fly in 6 days with 1 keeper .. I'd have traded that keeper for 200 more schoolie anyday :)
Before we left I ran into Miki and had a nice talk .. Great to see him again as always .. I am already looking forward to the Yellow Perch fishing and I am sure Miki and I'll bump heads again :)
Well now we pack it up and come back to my place for coffee and some Freshwater gear and head out to the Broadkill for some Slabs ..
We get there an no one is there probably because the wind was super strong and at times throwing me off balance .. It puched the tide up above the rocks and the docks were level with the water .. The Crappie were spread out in all that extra room as we watched the bust the surface sporadically in all directions . I was thinking I was going to be skunked while Fishbait gets 3 Crappie and missed a few more .. I finally get get a nice Bluegill but Fishbait knows that Crappie are my Favorite FW fish to catch and warns me he's gonna rub it on online if I dont get one .. I then decide to take him to a place where the Crappie are all over a Pound .
We walk up and see an Otter leave the water and run up a hill . We started with 1.75" fin"S" but we couldnt find a fish even though we could see them crashing the banks .. I walked around and 10 feet in front of me a 5 to6 pound LMB jumps 2 feet onto the shore and a huge swirl erupts from behind him .. Fishbait is yelling but I cant hear him as I lung for the LMB .. He rolls back into the water then I hear what Fishabait was saying .. There was 2 more Otters right in front of me just watching me .. I walked back around and joined Fishbait . We tried for LMB for a few minutes as we watched them chase baitfish onto the sand but couldnt trick Mr Bucketmouth .. At one point we were about 20 feet apart and had a LMB in the 7 pound range rush the bank right between us and not just 1 time .. 4 times he crashed the bank right at our feet ..
He too would have any of it so I switched to a 2 inch twister and in 20 minutes managed to land 3 Crappie in the 12 to15 inch range .. Fishbait couldnt beleive the size of these Crappie and I tell him they are just average .. Those Maryland boys like a few Delaware boys think a 10 inch Crappie is large .. To me its gotta be a pound atleast to be Slab material .
I get one small LMB at about 14" and thats was it ..
Fishbait heads home and I get to relax .. Almost fell asleep before dinner but sleep got me but not till about 10pm .. AT 2:30am jl_rotary (Jimmy) Knocks on my door and I am knocked out and very sluggish .. I actaully had double vision for about 10 minutes .. But the "Need" to fish won again and we were at IRI at 3am
The water was outgoing and ripping very very hard .. We found it dirty as well and nothing we threw got bit ..
At sunrise we tried longling as other joined us .. Had about 20 boats out there working and maybe 25 poeple on the rail .. Not one fish was caught by anyone .. We saw none landed from the boats either .
Jimmy had to be on his way back to PA at 9am so we split at 8:30 with a big Skunk .. This was my second Skunk in 3 years .. I am blaming it on the Cortazone shot I got in my shoulder Friday afternoon .. It was the first one in my shoulder and although it had some impact on my fishing I just needed to balme it on something . LMAO :):)
Life is Good :)
Great too see everyone .. 5 cherries popped and Steve who I'd like to think I helped learn to catch them got a keeper finally .. He too was new to IRI for Stripers at night :)
WTG Steve :)
Man it aint dark yet :)
Now if this one is a first it makes 6 Cherries is 3 days :)

Here's wannafishallday's Cherry pic