Alumacraft MV1448 Seadoo IB jet, Still jetting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, first off; Holy mother of God does this thing scream across the water. 45mph at 6800 rpm. 6' rooster tail 60' back with the trim up.

Now that that's taken care of;

I had the carb hoses routed wrong and reset the low speed adjust to factory spec and it started fine and ran great. We got hail and storms sideways all afternoon and finally around 6:30 it cleared off and I hooked and booked to the river solo with three rods and a prayer. Called my uncle on the way and picked him up (to help paddle if something bad happened again). Got to the river, millpond smooth and an air boat was playing around the ramp.

Found out that the motor at 1500rpm has too much thrust to push the boat out and turn it around so I need to make or buy a reverse setup to retro into this thing (thinking make). Shut it down, flipped it end for end (paddle again) and started it back up and off we went. Uncle was sitting in the front seat on the floor and it worke dout because I can see right over his head while running the boat. 4500rpm at part throttle and the boat planed out nice but with the trim down so it would steer it was backwashing a lot of water over the stern (Why Seadoo didn't do a better nozzle design is beyond me). Trimmed it up some and whacked the throttle to the stops, instant accelleration to 6800rpm and 40mph on the Lowrance transom mounted paddle wheel. Trimmed it some more and we were up to 45mph, rock solid, no cavitation until we blew through the air boats wake and it hit the limiter four times in a second or so. Looked back and the expansion chamber was trying to fall off the exhaust manifold and cooling water was going everywhere so I shut it down and bolted everything back together.

Fired it back up and off we went again. Only real problem I had was getting the pump to load when I first started it, had to walk back on the rear deck so the rpm's would drop from 3k to 1500 before going anywhere. Nicest thing is the Seadoo is self baling so it sucked a good bit of the water back out as we motored the rest of the way up river.

Caught a couple decent fiesty bass and relaxed for an hour or so before taking it home. Burned about two gallons of fuel running up and back.

It feels good to have it turn out so well. No pics, you'll have to wait for more sun.

Jamie

Yep, she makes a little noise. I did put a 90` chunk of the old exhaust hose on to direct the sound down at the water and it helps, but I couldn't get my uncles attention by screaming at him 4 feet away from me... The coolest thing is it only drafts 4" in the front and almost 3" in the back and pops up on plane in two boat lengths ,hitting top end in about four more. Figure 0-45mph in 100 feet. I don't know the depth on plane, need to get some pics to figure that out.

Jamie

Wow! Glad to hear it runs so great, what do you have left? The interior, the floor, paint or carpet? I'm wowed by your skill

I have about 80 hours of work left, maybe more.

1. Extend the rear deck 18" out over the pump
2. Floatation
3. Skin out the floors
4. Make the access doors
5. Carpet
6. Paint
7. Finish the night fishing lights.
8. Flesh out the storage compartments.

I also want to make something to mount on the front of the console to hold the pliers and other stuff.

A pic from Thursday when I ran into my uncle up on the water, taken from his Ranger. Thing looks tiny with the boy and I fishing off of it.

DSCN0007.jpg

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Thing looks tiny with the boy and I fishing off of it.

Yeah, and from the front and front sides, it looks like your trolling motor is the only means of propulsion. I can imagine someone that came in a quiet cove where you are fishing jumping out of his seat when you fire that motor up!

Ok, had four evenings on the river to see how it runs. Runs very well in millpond conditions, cavitates bad in 3-6" chop running above 20 mph. Most of the motor bolts came loose or fell out all together so I tore it back down last night, going to flip it over and install a spoon in front of the pump to help feed water into the inlet and I'm going to redo the inlet design for better / smoother flow...

Now I just need some time off to work on it...

Jamie

DANG....... I hate to see you have to tear it back down after all your hard work. But hopefully your new design and the spoon will be better than ever. Good luck. :beer:

Pump Round II

Since I'm not completely satisfied with the pumps performance in chop it's getting redesigned, narrower, longer, shallower with a spoon in front to help keep the cavitation demon at bay.

As built with the bottom ride plate removed. Notice the screen capture of how I want it to turn out and also the grate I'll try to integrate into the inlet. Also notice how wide it is, almost all the air coming between the side strake will get sucked into the pump. The spoon will be around 8-10" wide and 3-4 feet long shaped like the bottom of a teaspoon so it'll help pull clean water up into the pump and hopefully the air will go around the sides. I don't know if it'll actually work, but it sound good...
DSC06652.jpg

As built looking into the pump. Notice how much movement the water has to do to get to the pump. The Seadoo hull connects from the front lip to the shaft seal to the pump flange. I'd actually going to just fab an insert shell to go inside the original housing and just remake the bottom.
DSC06653.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

Same view as above, just a lot more pump showing. I hope to have the whole thing visible when finished.
DSC06655.jpg

Goal is to possibly water test it Friday evening. I have a lot to do.

Jamie

Jeeze, unreal work. I'm just worried about picking out the right gauge wire for my trolling motor and wiring up some electronics and maybe some decking. You've built a rocket ship, lol.

More fun, didn't get to do much with the boat today, actually just plain worn out from work and stress. I did make a simple program on the mill to cut the back receiver for the inlet grill I have, it took almost four hours to do it right, almost embarrasing.

Little doodad that took up most of my evening. I rewelded most of the original inlet since the shielding gas wasn't working very well the first time around. I need to hammer out the inlet form and weld in filler peices.
DSC06658.jpg

DSC06657.jpg

DSC06656.jpg

A better picture of what's going on. The spoon is in front of the inlet grill which is from a Mercury SportJet.
DSC06659.jpg

Finally the spoon, a 12 x 36 x .125" aluminum sheet that needs hand formed to fit. Once it's done I'll finish the new inlet.
DSC06660.jpg

Jamie

looks good, but , I had a race grate on my old jet ski to load the impeller more evenly in rough water . you may want to look into that instead of the standard type grate . here's a pic I found of one , top and bottom view, although mine had to scoops.

113-95007.jpg

Another day down. Got a lot of stuff done. The newer narrower longer pump inlet with the grill is mounted, The spoon is installed, the rough grinding is done, if it works in some chop I'll flip her back over and smooth everything out with either bondo or aluminum filler.

DSC06662.jpg

DSC06663.jpg

DSC06665.jpg

Fishes view...
DSC06666.jpg

Finally the motor is back in with the correct expansion pipe. I had to do some thread repair to the front cover (keyserts, not helicoils) and blue locktighted everything.
DSC06667.jpg

If I get time I'll water test it tomorrow. I need one hose clamp and I need to put the trolling motor, fuel tank, and batteries in to run it.

Jamie

I watched a couple of those you tube videos,you had a link to.
I know he was a racing guy but without your "spoon" and other welds being smoothed out,are you going to get a good interpetation of how it's going to handle?
I suppose they are pretty smooth probably isn't going to make that much difference on a jon fishing boat.It's just that he was being real perticular.
I have NO idea...hope it works out for you,keep us posted.

Latest posts