Angler's record alligator gar catch certified

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decatur

Reaction score
Angler's record alligator gar catch certified

20110212_bigfish0212_package.jpg

by: KELLY BOSTIAN World Outdoors Writer

Hook into a monster on rod-and-reel and it might feel a lot like "bringing in a small car," said the man who holds the record for catching Oklahoma's largest game fish ever.

The Oklahoma Department of Fish and Game announced Friday it certified Ardmore angler James Tucker's catch of a 192-pound, 1-ounce alligator gar on Jan. 27 as the new state record for the species, which is the largest of all freshwater fish in Oklahoma.

Fishing with friends from a boat on the Red River in Love County, Tucker used a spinning rod with a 65-pound test line, sinker and bare treble hook to snag the big fish. It's a common fishing method for gar on the river, he said.

The fish measured 7 feet, 7 1/2 inches long and had a girth of 3 feet, 3 inches. The fish breaks the previous alligator gar record by more than six pounds.

That's pretty cool. I have a photo somewhere of my grandfather standing next to an alligator gar that is hanging from a tree limb that is easily over 6 feet long. Caught it back in the 30s I believe. I need to find that photo.

Captain Ahab said:
Way cool - but it looks like he killed the fish which sucks! :x

Yes, that does suck. Unfortunately, I you want to claim an official record you need to kill the fish. I think that rule needs to change.

Anybody have any idea how many decades it takes for a fish to reach that size?

I would bet money that its at least 3.

lbursell said:
Anybody have any idea how many decades it takes for a fish to reach that size?

I would bet money that its at least 3.

I read that males mature(sexually) at 6 years, and can live up to 26 years. Females mature(sexually) at 14 years and can live up to 50 years. They are slow growers, and they continue to grow throughout thier lifespan. Females are larger than males, so the pictures of trophy size fish are usually females. It is believed that it takes at least 30 years for a fish to reach 200lbs, so your right on the money ibursell. I also read that biologist believe this fish can live up to 90 years, so that may explain the near 400 pounders you hear about. But Im sure habitat and food availailty plays a vital role in the growth rate. The oldest alligator gar ever caught was 50 years old.

The oldest alligator gar ever caught was 50 years old.

How do they know that?

1. Put 100 candles on a cake and see how many it blows out?
2. Cut it in half and count the rings?
3. Card it when it's buying liquor just so you can see it's date of birth?

fender66 said:
The oldest alligator gar ever caught was 50 years old.

How do they know that?

1. Put 100 candles on a cake and see how many it blows out?
2. Cut it in half and count the rings?
3. Card it when it's buying liquor just so you can see it's date of birth?
:LMFAO: I dont know Fender.....maybe radiocarbon dating??? hahahaha good point though.. I wonder how they make determinations like that?

Here is a section of the article that I read it from:

It takes many years for gar to reach those impressive sizes, as proven in a study conducted by the Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. During a four-year catching survey, they found that the oldest fish caught was 50 years old; overall, the fish mature at around 14 years of age. In comparison, largemouth bass mature within a couple of years. Additionally, the fish grow slowly, with an average growth rate of 4.1 inches and 3.2 pounds per year. For a fish to reach the weight of McClellan’s, it could be more than 90 years of age.

The survey was conducted in Alabama, and you know we aint known for our scientist and such...

Here is the link:

https://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2007/aug/ed_3/