Another rivet question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
I have removed the bench seats from my boat and there were 5 rivets that held the bench to the side of the hull, on an angle bracket that were just at the waterline rib.

I had to use a, if I recall correctly, 3/32” drill bit to remove them…

I don’t see a 3/32 sized rivet on any sites… Is that an uncommon size?

I had some regular, what I believed to be, 5/32 sized rivets that were just a bit too big…

Should I just try to expand the drilled hole a bit to fit a 5/32” rivet?
Or go with a 1/8" and some 3M?

In addition... I have recently heard of people using a small washer with closed end blind rivets? WTH is that about?

if you took the origional rivets out of that 53 i would bet some are elongated. i would step it up a size if you can plus if you make the holes perfect again the rivets you use 5/32 if thats what you step up to would swedge in nicely and your boat would be sturdier to. also i have done the washer thing on aircraft. it will work fine if you keep it flush and against the bench.

Are you sure it was 3/32 and not 3/16?

3/16 is a very common rivet size, especially considering you mention 5 rivets holding in the bench seat, as opposed to a much greater number. I'd check that first, but even so, I agree with the above poster in upsizing the holes to account for any elongation, as a matter of general principle.

I recently purchased 3/16 diameter by 3/8 length round head rivets from Hanson rivet company. 1 pound bag that they said would have 450 rivets. I would be happy to send you as many as you need. I don't think I will ever come close to using these even if I rebuild several more boats. Hanson also sells the air hammer bits that work with these rivets, they may sell a hand set style as well. Let me know if you want some rivets!

Using this thread to get a question out there without starting a new one...
So I got in the mail today my alum rivets with alum mandrel. I pop riveted two scrap pieces of alum angle together and wasn't too happen with the result. It seemed a little loose to me. I talked to my dad and he said he always had better luck with alum rivets but steel mandrels because they will pull tighter before they pop. He also said they are corrosion resistant and never had a problem in that dept so there isn't a need for alum mandrel.
Has anyone experienced that "not so tight" fastening with the alum rivets and alum mandrel? I mean, I could easily move the two pieces of angle around.
Also, has anyone ever seen rust on alum rivets with steel mandrel?
What are you inputs/experience with that...should I switch to steel or SS mandrels?

I wouldn't use steel mandrels. You may be drilling your holes crooked or a little big possibly. Keeping a steady hand helps too. Your rivet length and material thickness may not be compatible. Make sure to press down so the materials are compressed nicely if that makes since.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong just stating what I think could cause loose rivets. No need for steel or SS mandrels

Latest posts